PCJ's "Original" Child Relaxer

zoj2

Hi, does anyone know if this relaxer has lye? I've been using Dark and Lovely regular for one year now, and after spending time on this board, I am beginning to think that this is the root my problems. I used to use PCJ original child's relaxer a while back and I remember that my hair thrived. After using PCJ's original, my mom started using Just for Me no-lye, which was fine also. Can anyone recommend a mild but good relaxer that is lye? Thanks.

bludacious

zoj2 said:
Hi, does anyone know if this relaxer has lye? I've been using Dark and Lovely regular for one year now, and after spending time on this board, I am beginning to think that this is the root my problems. I used to use PCJ original child's relaxer a while back and I remember that my hair thrived. After using PCJ's original, my mom started using Just for Me no-lye, which was fine also. Can anyone recommend a mild but good relaxer that is lye? Thanks.

Elasta QP Mild relaxer worked well for me.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
The original is a lye relaxer, it doesnt require mixing.

The no lye version states it is no lye and does require mixing.

zoj2

Good to know. Does anyone know why lye relaxers come in jars and no-lye come in boxes? I'm in college and have to relaxer my hair myself, but i'm hesitant to switch to lye because they usually say "professional only," and the no-lye kits come with everything to make it easy if you self relax.

Porsche19

I love pcj lye :) I self relax.

Pay no attention to professional use only... that warning comes on some conditioners too.

balisi

zoj2 said:
Good to know. Does anyone know why lye relaxers come in jars and no-lye come in boxes? I'm in college and have to relaxer my hair myself, but i'm hesitant to switch to lye because they usually say "professional only," and the no-lye kits come with everything to make it easy if you self relax.
Because you always have to add activator to no-lyes. It's too risky to sell the components separate because there will always be those who for whatever reason, won't buy the activator, or will buy the wrong type. Selling the kit is pretty fool-proof as far as that goes. Incidentally, there really is no such thing as a kiddie relaxer. That concept is nothing more than a clever marketing technique.