Male vs Female Hair Stylists

Who do you prefer?

• Total voters

BGT

Do you notice a difference between male and female stylists? I have had 2 male stylists and they were the best I've ever had. Very gentle, took great care of my hair. One of them even told me that the flat iron was not made for our hair. It destroys it. I had never heard that before but it makes sense. :blush: I don't know what he uses, but his roller-sets looked better than a flat-iron. Them white folks were eating it up as I walked out of that salon. :lick:

This is a picture of my hair a week after Anthony did it. Ignore the face; I posed like that on purpose. :rolleyes:

I'd go back to him, especially because his salon was so beautiful and upscale. He was just one of two black stylists in a "white" salon and I got annoyed by them staring at my head when they saw him relaxing it. :lachen:Besides, $80 was too much for a relaxer. :perplexed

Do you prefer male or female stylists?

AceH

I prefer male stylists although I'm currently on a DIY journey.

When I had a male stylist, he was the best. He knew what he was doing and his styles were fierce. If I could find another male stylist in Denver to "make me OVA", he'd have my business with *two snaps and a twirl* :lol:

newflowers

The two best stylist I've ever had have been male - one white and one asian.

$80 may seem like a lot to pay for a relaxer, but remember you are paying for the expertise in an upscale salon. You can always pay less, but you also get less too.

gorgeous86

They both have their perks. From my experience, male stylists seem to care about making the hairstyles frame the face more than female stylists. I love that. They can be a little more extreme when it comes to styles though. Female stylists just seem to do a style and not care if it fits the person's face (this is all shape and volume wise). Female stylists seem to be a bit more professional. The male stylists i've been to have been overly flamboyant and arrogant. We know that you can do hair. We understand that you know tons of people. :rolleyes: You don't have to announce it constantly.

Last edited:

SEMO

I've never had a male stylist, but I heard they were better. They seem to have more regard for womens hair and want to be sure they don't mess it up health-wise (we even have a few male stylists that post on LHCF--I won't name them but maybe they'll drop by ;)).

I only heard one story on here about a jealous male stylist who over-trimmed someone's hair. But how much more often do we hear about that with women stylists? Personally either way I've become cheap and enjoy doing my own hair now. But maybe for a special occasion I will try a male hairdresser.

WriterGirl

I had female stylists for years. Some of them good and some of them bad. I had one male stylist and he was just okay. My current stylist is male and he is really great. He has helped me grow out may damaged hair.

I think it really depends on the stylist...

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
Its something about a man doing my hair that just irks me:perplexed.. I cant put my finger on it, but it just seems weird.. Now, I will let him do my makeup..I know, I know, backwards right? :ohwell:But my BF used to get his hair cut by a guy who did men and women hair and when I would go with him, I would turn into a little peeping tom, watching the stylist/barber's every move... I just equate men with masculine and I dont want no masculine hands doing my hair..I had my BF brush my hair one day...lets just say it was an experience I'll never forget.:sad:

SEMO

Its something about a man doing my hair that just irks me:perplexed.. I cant put my finger on it, but it just seems weird.. Now, I will let him do my makeup..I know, I know, backwards right? :ohwell:But my BF used to get his hair cut by a guy who did men and women hair and when I would go with him, I would turn into a little peeping tom, watching the stylist/barber's every move... I just equate men with masculine and I dont want no masculine hands doing my hair..I had my BF brush my hair one day...lets just say it was an experience I'll never forget.:sad:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Sorry. That was funny. Maybe you should just recruit him for scalp massages with those stronger male fingers. :look: :lachen:

morehairplease

I have never had a male stylist but have had absolutely no luck with the female ones I have had. If I could find one here in Memphis, I would definitely go to him.

Last edited:

SEMO

^^^ Okay!! He wanted so badly to help out and I just couldnt say no. I felt like this:axehunter:
Oh wow, that smilie is so funny, yet descriptive at the same time. :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Tell him he can help out when it's time to finance the purchase of new hair products/tools. ;)

BGT

I need a man!! 2 different kinds though. One for :dinner: :kiss2: and another for swanging hair :rofl:

blue_flower

I haven't been to a hair salon in almost 3 years and will never go back. But from the experiences I've had at salons, I'd say the few male stylists were the best. I don't trust female stylists.

phynestone

I've been to 1 male hairstylist and he was great.

I'm not willing to pay $90 for a touch-up so I haven't seen him since.

rainbowknots

The 1st and only time I ever went to a male stylist was back in october because I had heard that homosexual men make the best stylist. Well my perm was too underprocessed and he gave me a crooked cut that I specifically asked him not to do!

nomadpixi

When my hair was always shorter than I wanted it, I was seeing a female stylist. They always cut too much and talked on the phone mid-relaxer, so lord only knows what was really happening to my hair.

The first time my hair was past shoulder length in my life, I had a male stylist. He always knew I wanted long hair and helped me work toward that. He moved out of the country and after that is when I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I'd definitely say male stylists are more attentive in my case. But I'll never trust another stylist again if I don't have to.

ShaniKeys

I`ve never set foot in a hair salon in my entire life:blush3: (that may be b/c my sister is a hair stylist) - that may change with all these hair salons that are speciliazed in natural kinky hair coming up - but I think I would prefer a male hair stylist.

Last edited:

*Muffin*

Never had a male stylist before, but I just wanted to say that it seems that most top hair stylists are men. I used to watch this show called Shear Business (or something like that) and it was a show where stylists faced off against other stylist, and it was almost always (and I say almost because I haven't seen every episode) a male stylist who ended up winning.

LushLox

I've been thinking about this recently. I can't answer it because I've never tried a male stylist but I've always wanted to.

There is one guy that I've got my eye on who is very good - does celebrity hair and all. I went as far as book an appointment for a touch up last year, but chickened out at the last minute. Which is just as well, cause that dude was charging in the region of £140, which is around 200USD.

lowridin76

I went to a salon, and had a guy do my hair. Ooooh my goodness, he had my hair looking amazing! The times that I've gone and had females do it, they didn't even come close to what he did.

ajacks

I have never been to a male stylist either, but I would love to go to one. I head that they are the best.

LaLaa

I never had a male stylist but from what i hear they are more gentle with your hair. Female stylist, well the ones i had were rough when detangling. I rarely go to salons anymore. I would rather Do it myself.

caramelcutieinva

I used to go to a male stylist when my hair was relaxed. My hair was super straight , soft, and shiny each time. He was a trip. He was a abrber and a stylist and his personality seemed different based on if his client was male or female lol. He did cuts on some celebrities so he would run his shop a little different. You had to make a deposit when you scheduled an appointment. I didn't like that he would keep raising the prices all the time. I eventually stopped going.

MizzCoco

I miss my male stylist. He was so gentle, and he really cared about hair health. He moved out of state, or else i would still be going to him, and in fact, my hair aint been right since he left, cuz i was forced into the chair of this scissor-happy, hair-rippin out with a fine tooth comb- female stylist! So my vote goes to males, even though i've only experienced one

Denise11

The male stylist seems to care about hair health and length. They don't try to cut you bald. I've only had one female stylist that wanted me to keep my length and not cut at every hair appointment.

RavenMaven

Well... the male stylists that I have had were all drag queens.
They came with lots of drama and lots of opinions about my hair
and lots of extra fees.
I prefer female stylists.

Solitude

I love male hair stylists. A male hair stylist introduced me to the Phyto line & black rinses. He also told me to stop using direct heat on my hair in between visits. He insisted on deep conditioning, too. I only stopped going to him because he changed salons & the haters wouldn't tell me where he moved to.

A different male stylist I tried was ok, but he got a ton of business because he gave a mean scalp massage. Actually, he was probably good, but my hair was in bad shape back then and I would not let him trim off the damage.

joytimes10

female stylist - she was good but looking back she did some unhealthy things to my hair but I was BSL

female stylist - she was amazing was helping me stretch successfully but never available

male stylist - he was good but looking back he did some unhealthy things to my hair; look great right out of the salon but that's it.

female stylist - she was amazing was helping me stretch successfully but not available (too far away)

So, I have to go with female sylists.