Styling 3-4 inches of Natural 4b hair

KimPossibli

Supergirl
I am due to big chop in August and I am a bit of a slow grower. by my estimation by August I will have about 4 inches of growth. (based on my hair now.)

How are you ladies styling your hair at this length? How did twist outs look? rollersets, braid outs, fros..

and I would love if you could post pictures or direct me to some pictures..

LongLeggedLife

Didnt do anything more than a scruff and go at that point. Kept a feminine barbered line-up/dencent shape...Put gel in it some days for the defined curly look, that was about it.

I really dislike headbands& a "puff" that cannot make a pony tail pushed back looks silly to me, so I just kept it framing the face.
*that is not me-didnt even know how to do makeup when I had a twa LOL*

Oh then I started doing a bantuknot when it was slightly longer, like the Lauren Hill:

Nonie

^^I need that hairband in my life. Where do y'all get them from @lovenharmony @MyAngelEyez~C~U?

@Itgirl, when my hair was almost 3 inches, I just wore puffs mainly:

When my hair was a little longer, I wore mini-twists which I'd wash and let them drip dry to get them to hang down and look like locs :grin: for when I was just chilling at home:

To go out, I'd put rollers on damp twists and let them airdry and set, and wear what my hubby christened the tarantula do (He hated it, but I LOVED it! :giggle: )

KimPossibli

Supergirl
Didnt do anything more than a scruff and go at that point. Kept a feminine barbered line-up/dencent shape...Put gel in it some days for the defined curly look, that was about it.

I really dislike headbands& a "puff" that cannot make a pony tail pushed back looks silly to me, so I just kept it framing the face.
*that is not me-didnt even know how to do makeup when I had a twa LOL*

Oh then I started doing a bantuknot when it was slightly longer, like the Lauren Hill:

The first pic is of a girl I went to Secondary school with... lol she was a couple years behind me though

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
^^I need that hairband in my life. Where do y'all get them from @lovenharmony @MyAngelEyez~C~U?

@Itgirl, when my hair was almost 3 inches, I just wore puffs mainly:

When my hair was a little longer, I wore mini-twists which I'd wash and let them drip dry to get them to hang down and look like locs :grin: for when I was just chilling at home:

To go out, I'd put rollers on damp twists and let them airdry and set, and wear what my hubby christened the tarantula do (He hated it, but I LOVED it! :giggle: )

Nonie, I got that headband at my local BSS. It costs ony 1 - 2 dollors! :yep:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
@lovenharmony

what type of styles are those? are they twistouts ..

I ask because they don't seem like 4b's

Most are twistouts on what appears to be 4b hair. My hair is not 4b, but I wanted to include a hairstyle I did that most can do with 3 to 4 inches of hair. Headbands and other cute accessories can get you though the short phase of hair lengths :yep:.

PinkGirlFluff

Sometimes I wear just a braid or twist out in a puff, updo, or out. I experimented today with a side puff updo with a flower just to see what it would look like. I think I like it!

danniegirl

Check out rimblu4 on YouTube I don't really like her or her videos but she did a lot with her very short hair and gave me a lot of styling ideas when I wasn't in braids

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

Stormy

I mostly did bantu knots and twist outs. I did some creative things too like finger coils or I would do individual braids then roll them on tiny rods. That's a really cute, braided curly style.

KimPossibli

Supergirl
thanks everyone...

some of these styles look much longer than my new growth...

I may not have as much as I think...

I'm trying to decide if to cut or just keep transitioning..

but its kinda hard not to feel as if I am enjoying my hair for soo long...

ah well.. on ward..

Evolving78

thanks everyone...

some of these styles look much longer than my new growth...

I may not have as much as I think...

I'm trying to decide if to cut or just keep transitioning..

but its kinda hard not to feel as if I am enjoying my hair for soo long...

ah well.. on ward..

all you need is at least two inches of hair on 4 inches of hair, i had micro braids (my own hair braided) i left them in for a month.

it sounds like the length of your new growth is causing you not to be ready for you BC. are you afraid of having short natural hair? having a TWA was so easy. i was able to just get up and go. but you have to be
comfortable with your hair.

30something

Only thing I could pull of with 3-4 inches of hair was Afro-semi-puff thing... braid outs made me look crazy and my bantu knots always unraveled..lol

LaToya28

My hair was no longer than about 3.5 inches and I could do a lot with it. As long as you can cornrow and twist you should be fine.

KimPossibli

Supergirl
@shortdub78

My fear isnt really of my length but of being able to look cute...

I am soo between minds right now...

Its either bite the bullet and figure out how to work with it

or keep transitioning till like forever...

my twists and plaits arent exactly for public consumption and I don't wanna like too kiddy

yes you are right I am kind of afraid of having short natural hair because when I had it in the past well lets just say... the responses from others were not cool (I know cofidence etc)

Evolving78

i know how you feel. i didn't have positive responses from my family either. well i still don't get them from my mother but she said it was because of my styling choices. either way, don't let other folks dictate how you wanna wear your hair because they will drive you crazy! i know it drove me crazy for awhile.

@shortdub78

My fear isnt really of my length but of being able to look cute...

I am soo between minds right now...

Its either bite the bullet and figure out how to work with it

or keep transitioning till like forever...

my twists and plaits arent exactly for public consumption and I don't wanna like too kiddy

yes you are right I am kind of afraid of having short natural hair because when I had it in the past well lets just say... the responses from others were not cool (I know cofidence etc)