OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That's right...the vegetable!

pookeylou

OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That\'s right...the vegetable!

Ok...so I am porusing through a "loc" forum and I see where someone mentions they are using okra (yep...that's right the vegetable) for their daughters hair. So my question was: What are the benefits? and How do you apply it?

I have not got a response yet, so I went online. I found a popular conditoner in the UK called LUSH Okra Conditioner made with the following ingredients in the follwoing order: Okra infusion, corn silk infusion, Nettle Infusion, Mountain Grape Decoction, Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Balsamic Vinegar, Lavender Oil, Rosemary Oil, Lanolin, Perfume, Cetrimonium Bromide.

Can anyone tell me if they have used this? What is their review of the product? Can you point me towards any other sites that discuss the benefits of okra in the hair? Do you have any recipes of a conditioning treatment using Okra that I can make myself (should I choose to accept this assignment)?

I would be forever grateful.

I found a site that sells the conditioner with okra:

LUSH OKRA CONDITIONER

I think I have found another natural hair product favorite site. They make shampoo bars with coconut milk. My credit card is going to be sick.

Nonie

Re: OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That\'s right...the vegetable!

Interesting. Here's all I could find:

[ QUOTE ]

Okra, the vegetable, is that pointy green one with ridges on the outside and soft white seeds like little peas in the middle, also known as ladies' fingers. It always tastes delicious in Indian restaurants but it's very difficult to cook because if you boil it for too long it turns to a soft mucilage. Fortunately this makes it wonderful for softening your hair, even when you've treated it so badly you think you're going to have to cut it all off because you'll never get it back into shape! We add nettles, grapes, vinegar and rosemary oil, everything you need for getting your hair shiny again. Its scent is a lovely, strong, fresh, herbal, minty mixture. This is our very strong conditioner; use it with care to restore cruelly mistreated hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
Source: http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.htmlhttp://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.html[/i]

Oh duh...I just realized we were on the same website.

pookeylou

Yeah!!! Thats what I saw too. But it looks like they are the only company that sells something like this.

I would love to know more about why okra works for the hair.

Isis

Actually, this makes sense. I never thought of using it in my hair, just eating it. I started a thread a while back on the Off Topic board (about natural aphrodisiacs) and I posted how I accidentally learned that okra is because it contains zinc. Several foods contain zinc and are considered aphrodisiacs. So why not work on our hair too since zinc is great for hair. I've never heard of this product but in the meantime, I may start eating more okra!

pookeylou

Looks like they also make a coconut milk and lemon juice conditioner (I know some of the ladies rave about that treatment for softening their hair):

Here is what they say about it:

Ingredients:
Ingredients: Fresh Coconut Decoction (Cocos nucifera), Fresh Coconut Milk (Cocos nucifera), Cetearyl Alcohol (&) Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Lanolin, Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax benzoin), Styrax Resinoid(Storax), Perfume, Cetrimonium Bromide

Comments
The thing about Coolaulin that hits you first is its coconut smell. This is because (unlike some cosmetic companies we could mention but we won't) we use real coconuts to make it: the flesh and the milk from lovely fresh coconuts. (The reason why it's sometimes a different colour from your last bottle is that the coconuts come in different colours.) Anyway, the coconut decoction softens your hair very effectively as well as making it smell like a tropical holiday beach cocktail. We also mix fresh organic lemon juice in there to make your hair shine then we add vetivert, benzoin and styrax exotic essential oils for their calming properties and to make your hair smell even more delicious. Use this one on curly, dry or processed hair when it's feeling a bit rough.

'Makes my hair shine and is as soft as never before, and the smell. sometimes I just don't want to rinse it out.' Hanne Natali Henriksen, Norway.

'Always get asked about it after gym.' Lesley Beckett, a district nurse from Nelson who does 'step' classes in her spare time.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
Oh here's a review: Okra Conditioner

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I LOVE you Nonie! That site is perfect! It even has a forum!!!!

Bless you...you have MADE MY DAY!!!

ms_kenesha

The Strokes hair moisturizer sounds great, the Snake Oil conditioner bar would be great for my non-fian.

Paris Belle

I would have to agree with Isis, okra is very good (when eaten) for the body and ultimately the hair. My aunt used to cook this all of the time and it was always great. My hair definitely benefitted from it.

chanou

okay, I was never going to post it but after seeing this post, I just had too.
I went to miami this weekend, I told my aunt that I was trying to grow my hair. She gave me a concoction made with okra, carrot, maple wood and castor oil. That stuff smells and it's still sitting on my dresser. But she said it grew her natural 4b her to waistlentgh in two years.

Chipmunk

They have two stores here in San Francisco, I might have to check them out one day.

Pepperanne2

CHANOU!!!! Tell your aunt to start bottling that concoction and send it right on over here!!

How do you make it/apply it ??

chanou

okay I'm not sure of the excat details

but she boiled the okra, carrot and burnt maple wood in castor oil until it all turns liquid and that's all. But ladies that stuff smells, I just kind a thought she was crazy. I took the bottle but I haven't used it.

Nonie

How are you supposed to use it?

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate

Okra on the hair? This is new. Well fortunately I like okra and my family, especially my dad, eats it everyday. I'll eat some right now.

chanou

The final product has the thick consistency of castor oil. I suppose that I could use it like castor oil. Since I'm in braid, I'm afraid to use it because of the smell.
My aunt and her kids all have very nice 4a/b natural hair that is at least midback length. She also use somekind of natural soap to watch her hair once in a week and then apply the smelly concoction. Her hair is always very soft and moisturized.

Armyqt

Chanou, you better start using that stuff girl. This is a sign. As long as I've been on LHCF I've never heard anyone talking abut Okra for hair. This is very coincidental
maybe just the fix we all need

DahomeyAmazon

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
Looks like they also make a coconut milk and lemon juice conditioner (I know some of the ladies rave about that treatment for softening their hair):

Here is what they say about it:

Ingredients:
Ingredients: Fresh Coconut Decoction (Cocos nucifera), Fresh Coconut Milk (Cocos nucifera), Cetearyl Alcohol (&) Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Lanolin, Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax benzoin), Styrax Resinoid(Storax), Perfume, Cetrimonium Bromide

Comments
The thing about Coolaulin that hits you first is its coconut smell. This is because (unlike some cosmetic companies we could mention but we won't) we use real coconuts to make it: the flesh and the milk from lovely fresh coconuts. (The reason why it's sometimes a different colour from your last bottle is that the coconuts come in different colours.) Anyway, the coconut decoction softens your hair very effectively as well as making it smell like a tropical holiday beach cocktail. We also mix fresh organic lemon juice in there to make your hair shine then we add vetivert, benzoin and styrax exotic essential oils for their calming properties and to make your hair smell even more delicious. Use this one on curly, dry or processed hair when it's feeling a bit rough.

'Makes my hair shine and is as soft as never before, and the smell. sometimes I just don't want to rinse it out.' Hanne Natali Henriksen, Norway.

'Always get asked about it after gym.' Lesley Beckett, a district nurse from Nelson who does 'step' classes in her spare time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have used this conditioner. It's good but not as thick as some would prefer.
Everything I have ever purchased from Lush has worked very well and it's all organic. A few weeks ago I finished up a container of "sympathy for the skin", I used it on my body and hair as a moisturizing wash out treatment.
The products aren't expensive at all and the customer service is great.

pookeylou

Do they have a store in the states...I can only find info for the locations that are in Canada and elsewhere?

Chanou...dont have me messing up my hair now. You are going to have to be the guinea pig for this experiment. I want to hear how well you like that concoction!

DahomeyAmazon

I usually phone my order in to the canada store or at lush.com
On the website they offer a list of U.S. shops, I hope one is near you.

San Francisco, CA
240 Powell Street
415-693-9633

Boston, MA
166 Newbury Street
617-375-5874

Santa Monica, CA
1404 Third Street Promenade
310-255-0030

Washington, DC
3066 M Street N.W.
(202)333-6950

New York, NY
#108 - 1293 Broadway (34th & Broadway)
(212)-564-9120

San Francisco, CA
2116 Union Street
(415) 921-5874

pookeylou

Ok...went to the USA site and ordered a conditioner and a hair treatment.

I am now trying to find out why they dont sell the OKRA conditioner in the US.

Credit card just flew out of my wallet...not sure how that keeps happening.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
Credit card just flew out of my wallet...not sure how that keeps happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read part of that loc discussion but didn't give it much thought until now when I read Isis' post about zinc and Chanou's post about her aunt.

Lush has a store on 34 th and Broadway next to Models in the building withthe dmv and Daffy's...I work on 39 th and Broadway..I'll be there tommorrow

Mahalialee4

Chanou: I was wondering if you meant she burnt the maple wood and used the ashes or what exactly? Really wanna know right now...cheezin"
Bonjour.

chanou

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
Chanou: I was wondering if you meant she burnt the maple wood and used the ashes or what exactly? Really wanna know right now...cheezin"
Bonjour.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay I just called her and this is what she did:
She used a motar and pestle to grind the carrots, okra- then she burned the maple wood, used the ashes continue to grind- then she mix it all together with the castor oil including the burn maple wood also, put it on low heat until the mixture is well cooked- Then she use a strainer to separate the cook mixture with the oil- And then she bottles it. She says that sometimes she adds garlic and cinnamon to the mixture-

LADIES THIS STUFF SMELLS_ I just asked my fiance to smell it and he asked if I was going to put voodoo on him with that mess

chanou

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
Do they have a store in the states...I can only find info for the locations that are in Canada and elsewhere?

Chanou...dont have me messing up my hair now. You are going to have to be the guinea pig for this experiment. I want to hear how well you like that concoction!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'll try after I take out my braids in 2 months. I don't want to experiment while my hair is in braids.