How soon after you take out a weave can you relax?

Teja

Just a quick question how long do you have to wait(days) to get a relaxer after taking out a weave?

PureSilver

I usually clarify and do a protein treatment after taking down my weave since i keep it in for 4-8weeks. You hair needs to be strenghtened after all that shedding. 2 weeks is a good time to wait depending on the sensitivity of your scalp too. Between taking the weave down, washing and giving your scalp time to heal from all that manipulation and roughing up i would def inately wait two weeks.

I've gone to salons and see ppl relaxer right after taking down a weave. I couldn't dare try that.

Teja

That sounds realistic I wanted to get an install when I go see my man in NY next month..... I wanted to take the chance to go to the hairdresser in NY since Germans don't know what they are doing but two weeks is pretty long!!!!!

Maybe others can chime in !

lashannasmall

Two weeks is right. Anything else and you are playing russian roulette with your hair. It may be okay but if you wait two weeks, it is almost garunteed to be okay. I know it is hard but I know what it is to have weave damage because you are trying to keep up appearences. Just do a rollerset or something else to get those roots straigt.

calmsensual1

Im NOT encouraging you to do this but with my last weave...I relaxed the day of taking it out. This is before I started my healthy hair care journey so I had no idea what I was doing.

But basically I had a weave for 6 months (I know) so when I took it out it was super oily and greasy. And I remember someone telling me a long time ago that when you put a relaxer in, it will eat the grease away. So thats what I did...relaxed with all that grease and oil in there. It ended up being texlaxed and I really liked it.

I got lucky but I would NEVER do this again.

Kacie

Two weeks... I don't know if you seen this thread or not but I'm living by it at this moment http:/www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=298353