Side effects of vitamins

Crysdon

Below is a list of vitamins/supplements that I take daily:

Multi-vitamin w/Iron
B-Complex w/Folic Acid
5mg Biotin
2000 mcg MSM (powder form - 1 scoop at night and 1 scoop with my other vitamins in the morning, 1000 mcg each).

OK, where shall I begin? Headaches first...I have been getting terrible headaches and my head is still pounding this morning with every keystroke while I type this.

The second side effect is acne. Not trying to be boastful or anything, but I have always gotten comments on my skin. One woman in the grocery store even asked what color foundation I have on and I don't even wear any. I have NEVER had acne and just this past weekend the biggest, ugliest pimple ever (along with a few tiny ones) has popped up on my cheek, in the nose area. It was quite noticable and it seemed as though everyone who talked to me were looking straight at it. My son even commented on it, he looked at me and said "uuugghh, what is that on your face." He thought it wasn't real.

And last, appetite...I finished a whole Gyro and didn't even feel stuffed. My mid-section is starting to spread and I wonder if having healthy/long hair is worth all this agony. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Integrity

do you eat a lot of protein for longer hair as well? if so that might explain your wider mid-section...

i cant remember who but someone wrote that they got bad headaches and acne when they first started with vitamins but that it cleared up soon after(sure it was Amillion) so persevere if it is not so so bad and u can tolerate! a visit to the doctor about ur vitamins might be wise. large dose vitamins are not for all.

A

AmilLion

5mg Biotin
Nourish Hair
1500mg MSM
500mg Silica
500mg Flaxseed Oil
500mg Evening Primrose

My effects, caused additional acne, but then caused my skin to clear, caused headaches but now have ceased, increased appetite that I'm now getting under control, I feel much more healthier, unwanted hair and uncontrollable itching of the scalp. Are the vitamins effects worth it for hair growth? HELL NO. Is it worth if for my health? YES. Will I restock up on vitamins for hair growth? NO.

I will continue to finish off the vitamins that I have purchased and begin taking only a regular multivitamin daily. Hair growth for me isn't that serious. This itching and the additional hair I can deal without! I will have to just accept how my hair grows in and live with that.

Crysdon

Hi Pandora,

I don't eat a lot of protein, just those darn vitamins that are messing up my flow. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since you said that it goes away eventually, I will try and tolerate it for about 2 more weeks. If no improvement, then I'll just continue to take the multi and Biotin only.

Tonya

Crysdon I experience the headaches too I was initailly taking 2000 mgs of MSM but after Adrienne told me that it clears your bodyu of toxins...causing headaches I lower my dosage to 1000mgs a day adn slowly built it back up...this stopped my headahces...
I still and suffering fromt he acne however. I am like AMilion I will not be restocking my vitamins after I finish these. I do not however have an increase in appetite.

Crysdon

AmilLion,

I get the itching too! I don't have dandruff and I rinse my hair for 5 whole minutes after washing, so I know it's not dirt that's making it itch.

The itching is bearable for me. As for the others, I can pop a Tylenol when I get a headache, exercise & diet to control my weight...but I'll be damned if I get another pimple on my face. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Crysdon

Oh, so that explains the acne too! If the MSM is getting rid of toxins, the only way to get them out is through your pores.

I'm going to take your advice and lower the dosage to 1000 mgs of MSM only in the evening. I'm giving this dosage a 2 week trial too.

You didn't get an increase in appetite?...Lucky you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess it is true that all bodies react differently.

pebbles

I have the increased appetite. I'm trying to leave more fruits in the house so that I don't over do it. I'm always hungry. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kitkat

Crys, I was getting lots of pimples on my face AND my back. I started cutting back on MSM to reduce the number of pills I took daily, and the problem went away. I was taking 2000 mg (two 1000 mg tabs) in addition to the MSM in GNC Ultra Nourishair (500 mg). When I cut to one 1000 mg tab, I was fine. Hope this helps.

Tara

I think your problem may have to do with MSM. While MSM is non-toxic, it is a supplement that gets rid of the toxins in our bodies.

So while the body is going through the "cleansing" phase, headaches and pimples are some of the side effects. It almost reminds me of when I became a vegetarian and quite soda cold turkey about 6 years ago. I had headaches something awful, and I already had bad skin, but it was even worse. The reason is because my body was "detoxing" I was drinking TONS of water, and flushing everything out of my system, the side effects of my improved eating and increased water drinking went away after a few months. It really depends on how much the body needs to get rid of, to determine how long the de-toxing takes for each individual.

The first thing, and I am a HUGE advocate of this is, always see a doctor to make sure everything is o.k. I mean we can try to help but for your health's sake if it continues have a doctor check everything out.

Another thing is to really increase the water intake. I'm not sure if you already drink tons of water, if not then you should start. I have my nerve to talk but when taking vitamins, it even MORE important to flush the system regularly.

Studies on MSM have shown that MSM has the same toxicity as water, so it is generally safe. I always say generally just to be on the safe side, but whatever is not used, passes through the system.

Another thing you can try is to decrease the amount of MSM you intake. If I remember correctly, a lot of the people that take mega doses of MSM also had other health problems going on, such as back or joint pain, extreme allergies, and I remember that Amethyst had a high dose because she had experienced a major health problem. Your intake needs might be different, so I would cut back on the dose and build up as you get used to it.

And again, just wanted to stress the point even though MSM usually is a help to people that suffer with acne, it also functions as a body detoxifier, pimples and headaches are a strong indication that the body is rapidly getting rid of impurities, which another reason I suggest the increased water intake, and just to be safe cut back on the dose to see if that helps. If it does not, then I would suggest not taking the MSM because you don't want to play around with headaches.

But if you cut back the dosage and still continue with headaches, I would advise that you stop taking it. Everyone is different and has diffferent needs when it comes to their nutrition, so I usually like to run a vitamin routine by a doctor if I can. Even without MSM your hair will continue to do well, and with the vitamins that you are already taking you should be fine.

Here is more info on MSM from a site that works with people who train in the gym. Body building page with MSM info

One last thing, with B-viamins many people report appetite increase. For me I can never tell because I eat like crazy anyway /images/graemlins/grin.gif but I did notice my increased energy levels when I began to take B's.

Here is a link that address' B vitamins and the appetite issue.

HTH, you know I'm long winded (lol) but just lookin' out for ya! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[edited to add: I typed in a hurry so I didn't see you got that part about the toxicity already. Oh well, lol! /images/graemlins/wink.gif]

Crysdon

Tara thanks for being long-winded /images/graemlins/smirk.gif, I like detailed explanations.

As for the water, I have been drinking 64 oz a day for about 8 years now. I guess I am so full of toxins. I can blame the increased appetite (B vit) for this since I reach for food constantly (good & bad food).

I never told my doctor about my regimine and you're right about everyone's body reacting differently. I'm going to run this by him and see what he says.

BTW, those links are awesome and answer a lot of important questions.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I haven't experienced any of the symptoms mentioned, but I have gotten severe abdominal cramps from taking amino acids just before going to bed, on an empty stomach.

Pumpkin

I was getting dizzy with MSM this summer and posted my problems here. I think it was Jada who told me that some companies, especially ones that go for cheap prices, add fillers into their MSM. So I stopped taking it and was fine. I used to get nausea, dizziness and severe stomach pains.

Crysdon

The MSM that I take is 99 point something percent pure. It's made by MRM and I bought it at the health food store. I paid $30 for the container. I did the test and everything where it sank to the bottom and dissolved immediately.

I'm going to cut down on my dosage from 2000 mgs to 1000 and see if I notice a difference.

Ennyaa

Yeah this happened to me once also... Didn't know what it was at the time but suspect the Amino Acids in HF37 Step Two. It was a Sunday and I hadn't eaten all day but still took them. I actually wound up in the emergency room the pain was so severe. Actually my sister made me go because I'm the type to try and wait/sleep things out (which is what wound up happening anyways, thank GOD for insurance.) That was like in Aug/Sept. And it hasn't bothered me at all since then even though I still take them like clockwork *shrug*, go figure. As for the MSM it hasn't bothered me at all and I take 4000mg/1tsp a day in the evenings.

L

legs71

I have recently cut the protein from my regimen. I have been taking them since late August and I've gained 13 lbs. since then. In the beginning when I began to take MSM I broke out also, but eventually everything clears up once your system gets adjusted. Coincidentally, last night I was reading a post from another hair board and it stated that MSM slows down the growth so your hair can benefit from the vitamins and nutrients. That sounds questionable, I just don't know. Since gaining the weight I am debating whether I'm going to restock my supply.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Enyaa, it only occurred once for me as well. I didn't go to a doctor, but the pain was very excruciating.

After reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder what, exactly, msm IS GOOD FOR /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ennyaa

Well I think it's good for extending the growing phase of your hair and shortening the shedding phase, I THINK... it's also making my nails VERY strong.

Tonya

I think it has benefits...but u just can not jump in with a large dosage. You have to gradually build up to it.

Ennyaa

Well at least that's what it says in the Bargello Regimen. Go take a look at the thread on here that reposts her regimen. It has a section on MSM.

LondonDiva

Cysdon

I don't think protein has alot to do with the hunger feel or not feeling full after eating. I could have eaten a meal that filled me right up but as soon as I ingest some vitamins I have this disgusting empty feeling in my stomach. And I have to eat some more straight after. The liquid vitamins I take combat this, but when I was taking the amino tablets it made no real difference. Anything whether a tablet or capsule i took I just felt very hungry afterwards.

I took 3 marine protein tablets the other evening and I haven't taken tablets in months and I got the same feeling again. This I think is why some women have commented on weight gain whilst on vits.

vevster

If you are having headaches you should cut your dosage down. I took 1000 mg of B5 one day and had a terrible headache. I haven't touched the B5 since. I currently take:

Cod Liver Oil
Body Balance( a liquid vitamin that I will take until it is finished)
Vitamin E (800 IU)
B-Complex (1 w/ each meal if it has refined carbs)
Evening Primrose 500 mg
Alfalfa(good for the hair)

I have to take cal / mag at night that I have to work up to... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Valerie

I take vitamins and except for cod-liver oil, Evening Primrose and Vitamin E, which I get in my local supermarket. The rest of my vitamins and amino acids I get from my local health shop.
I take Hair Formula 37 ( the equivalent I get from my health shop, Holland and Barratt).Step 1 and Step 2
MSM 1000 mg 2x powder form
Flaxseed oil 1000 mg (2x)
Well women multivitamin once only
Pantothenic Acid 400mg 2x
Biotin 1mg (4 tablets taken 2x)
Vitamin E 400 iu (taken 2x)
Calcium/Magnesium 800/200mg 3 tablets make up the quantity, take 2 in the morning and 1 with my evening meal.
Soy Isoflavones 670 mg once only (started last week), I have gone of Soya, I drink Soya milk though,
Horsetail 440 mg (taken 2x)
Evening Primrose 1000 mg once
cod-liver oil (2 teaspoons daily). I try to drink a lot of water, I have been drinking hot or cold water, squeeze half a lemon, also try to eat a salad, with my evening meal. I find when I first started after a previous 10 year break, I past out a lot of wind, also when I started eating a lot of vegetables, sometimes, I have noticed I have got spots on my face, but it passes after a few weeks. But you have to change your eating habits as well.

G

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Honey Vibe said:
Enyaa, it only occurred once for me as well. I didn't go to a doctor, but the pain was very excruciating.

After reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder what, exactly, msm IS GOOD FOR /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

MSM, like anything else, should be taken moderately. I take about 500 - 1000 mg and have not experienced any of the side effects in the year I have been taking it.

G

legs71 said:
I have recently cut the protein from my regimen. I have been taking them since late August and I've gained 13 lbs. since then. In the beginning when I began to take MSM I broke out also, but eventually everything clears up once your system gets adjusted. Coincidentally, last night I was reading a post from another hair board and it stated that MSM slows down the growth so your hair can benefit from the vitamins and nutrients. That sounds questionable, I just don't know. Since gaining the weight I am debating whether I'm going to restock my supply.

[/ QUOTE ]

What supplements cause weight gain? I take:

MSM - 500 - 1000 mg
Calcium
CoQ10
Esther C
a Hair Skin and Nail Vitamin with these ingredients:

Choline Bitrartrate
Inositol
Pantothenic Acid
Magnesium Oxide
Niacin
PABA
Zin Oxide
Maganese Gluconate
Cooper Gluconate
A group of amino acids equal to 2mg
Vitamin B-12
Chromium Picolinate
Iodine
Folic Acid
Biotin

This year I have gained 15 lbs. My measurements are: hips - 34, chest - 34 and waist 29 which basically means that I can't keep my stomach flat no matter what I do.

I know it has to be the supplements because I haven't gained any weight in 15 years (no babies). If I can find out the culprit, maybe I could find a subsitute.

L

legs71

I was taking Omega 3-6-9, protein tablets and amino acids. I cut out all 3 about a month ago and my weight is coming down. I don't necessarily believe they cause you to automatically gain weight, but it increases your appetite. I think the main culprit was the amino acids. When you go into vitamin stores amino acids are targeted towards guys who want to gain muscle. I have a friend who's very knowledgeable about body building. He's been doing it for about 15 years now so I'm going to find out more information about amino acids. Anyway, last week I broke down and ordered some Puritans Pride Amino Acid 1500(am I a fool or what?)The only reason I did this is because when I was taking the aminos before my hair definitely grew faster. Also my current vitamin regimen is no longer working like it was at first. I'm going to try it for at least a month, but this time I'm going to pay attention to what I eat and see if it makes a difference.

Nyambura

surfer girl
vevster said:
If you are having headaches you should cut your dosage down. I took 1000 mg of B5 one day and had a terrible headache. I haven't touched the B5 since.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too eventually wound up with uncomfortable side effects from vitamin b5/pantothenic acid. I had terrible stomach pains. /images/graemlins/mad.gif Too bad &lt;sigh&gt; since I want my hair to be as thick as possible. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif