Calling ALL Natural 4b's!!

MizzBrit

what products does your hair likes/loves?
how do you know your hair is growing?
what is your regime?

thanks in advance.:yep:

Afrobuttafly

I haven't tried a great number of products yet...but my hair likes Creme of Nature Chamomile & Comfrey conditioner, Generic Paul Mitchell The End conditioner from Sallys, Hydratherma Naturals Daily Growth Moisturizer, Fantasia IC gel, Fantasia IC Leave-in Moisturizer, Water, Satin scarves/bonnets..

I know my hair is growing because I takes pics on a consistent basis and compare them. I see the growth right before my eyes.:grin:

My regimen is basically:
Wash 1 x weekly with shampoo
Cowash 2-3x's weekly
Airdry
Moisturize daily (seal with oil)
Style-puff, twists for twistout, shingling
Massage scalp nightly alone or with oil

My products keep changing as I try different things to see what results I achieve. Hair typing is still somewhat confusing to me but I think I have some 4b up in here so I decided to respond. I'm deff multitextured like many naturals.

Last edited:

chosen07

I was never quite certain of this hair typing thing but I'm for sure in the 4's somewhere..
what products does your hair likes/loves? Hairveda's whipped gelly for my twists- keeps them moisturized for at least 3 days. Oyins juices'n'berries or greg juice as a moisturizer; Giovanni Leave-In direct as leave in condish; oyins honey hemp as a cowash/leave-in; any condish for cowashes. those are my dont-leave-home-without-it products. I just tried (for the 1st time) KCCC + KC knot today..worked well but I would want to give it a try again just to make sure that wasn't a fluke. Curls by Sister Smith curly pudding was also a good fit for my hair when wearing wash'n'gos. when i'm styling at night (flat twists/braids/large twists)- I use SheaMoisture shea butter leave in on freshly washed hair
how do you know your hair is growing? kinda hard to answer but I guess at the very core- pictures are my measuring stick. i used to do the length checks weekly/monthly/bimonthly but those started to drive me crazy as I was constantly 'watching' my hair. right now i just make sure its moisturized and play with it for variation of styles. from time to time, I'll see a picture of me from a couple months ago with a similiar style and smile because my hair is doing something 'more' than it did before. also...my hair is giving me some 'hang time'. lol this is most exciting when I wear twist-outs and my hair is actually starting to move downward rather than outward [only].
what is your regime? i lived in a tropical climate until last week when i moved up north (canada). so I can say what my regimen was since I'm not sure how this will morph to accommodate the newly dropping temps..I cowashed regularly. when I just wore wash'n'gos..then cowash maybe 2-3 times per week. DC once per week and poo 1-2 per month. when I'm wearing more twists: i poo +DC and put twists in for a week (rinsing with water and sometimes condish depending on exercise/sweat), take twists down and wear a twist out. moisturize as necessary

growth2come

Its loving shea butter at the moment as well as the condition mixes with honey.

Well I have had patched that were about an inch last year that are now about 6 inches so I know something is growing in there:grin:....as well as stretching the hair further for length checks.

what is your regime?

I wash my hair mainly on sundays but if I can manage it I will throw in the odd conditioner wash mid week. On Sunday wash days I take my twists down and semi-detangle then I usually prepoo with either henna, oil mix, yoghurt mix or irish moss mix...it really depends on what I have available or what I feel my hair needs at the time. I keep the mix in my hair for minimum of an hour.

I then wash with sls free shampoo 9/10 aveda damage remedy or I will use pantene's 2n1 sleek and smooth.

Once I wash out the shampoo I apply a deep conditioner and sit under my steamer(its new only about a month before this I would just wrap and sit around for 45min) for 15-20mins. Before I wash the conditioner out I use a wide tooth comb and then wash it out. My hair is in sections while I do the above.

The prepoo mixes plus the DC usually give me shiny moisturised hair. I then use a little leave in and seal with sea butter or castor oil.

As I have been twisting my hair for the last few months and washing weekly I think I am losing way too much hair than I care to see, either I am a bit rough or too much shedding but either week I am going back to ghana braids until begining of next year but I will condition with the weekly wash and steaming treatments on my hair. I will only keep the braid for a maximum of 4 weeks.

I also have a spritz for when my hair feels a bit dry.​

loolalooh

Hey MizzBrit! ::waves::

Shea butter, coconut oil, safflower oil, V05 conditioner, water

When I'm all of sudden able to do a loose ponytail, use less bobby pins for an updo, etc. I also measure it with a ruler every several months.

what is your regime?

This is WEEKLY...
-Prepoo with coconut oil for 20 minutes
-Wash with CON (green bottle)
-Condition with V05 for 5 minutes
-Seal with homemade whipped shea butter and coconut oil
-Airdry then redo twists in the front and back

Every MONTH
-Redo all my twists
-Detangle with my fingers

SignatureBeauty

My Hair Loves Qhemet Biologics Heavy Creame,Suave Humectant Conditioner & Creame Of Nature Detangling Shampoo For Dry Hair(Old Formula), Organic Coconut Oil & Distilled Water.

I can see my Twa getting bigger and by taking pics every few months.

what is your regime?

I shampoo once a week with CON and conditioner wash once a week with my suave humectant and deep condition with suave and coconut oil and some mayo every 2 weeks and I apply my QB heavy cream every 3-4 days, the moisture last me a very long time so I just need to spritz with distilled water and the moisture has re-activated.

Nouvelle

AOHSR, AOWC, Komaza Care's Herbal Tea Rinse, Giovanni Direct Leave In, coconut oil, castor oil and raw shea butter.

I take a few comparison pics to see how my hair's growing. So far I've seen pretty good progress from June of this year to now.

what is your regime?

I clarify as needed, dc once or twice a week, moisturize and seal daily, and maybe co-wash every once in a while. I prefer to wear protective styles, but for the moment I'm just wearing a wash 'n' go puff.

Last edited:

zzirvingj

what is your regime?​

My hair likes:
-Lekair Cholesterol for detangling
-Aveda Detox or Kiehl's Acid shampoo for clarifying
-Giovanni Direct as a leave-in
-ORS pack for deep conditioning

I know my hair is growing when I wash it and it hangs lower. Or my bun starts to get "fuller". Also, from taking and seeing pics of myself.

I wash/DC once a week. I prepoo with avocado/olive oil, clarifying, do Aphogee 2-step protein treatment, then steam in twists using ORS Pack for about 20 mins. I rinse, detangle with Lekair, rinse again, add my leave-in, and some type of oil, then bun it up until next wash day.

HTH... ;)

jetbeauty09

what products does your hair likes/loves? Molasses, Yogurt & Honey Treatment THATS ALL I CAN TELL RIGHT NOW! Wish there were more things...

how do you know your hair is growing? Taking pics is fool proof! Without them I'd probably be crying right now.
what is your regime? I'm still transitioning but my hair blends so well, I often forget I'm not 100% natural anymore! Cowash at least twice weekly, DC weekly and moisturize daily. I try to do a vinegar and/or baking soda rinse once a month and the above honey treatment monthly

Last edited:

loveisnthehouse

I am new to the forum and new to really trying to see how much lenght I'll retain, but I will tell you what I have been doing so far!

My regimen when I am not too lazy to do it is DC 3 times a week with heat and cowash the other 4, then I put leaven-in conditioner on my kitchen area and the end of my hair. Then I seal it up with almond oil brush it back and wrap it up for the night. In the morning I flat iron the front and leave the back way.

The leave-in conditioner I use is Cantu Shea Butter leave-in repair creme
Right now the only shampoo I use is Kemi-myoist no soap shampoo.. I am going to try dr bonners soon
The conditioners (regular) i use is Elasta QP intense forifying conditioner and then this other one that has orange extract in it (I'm thinking about changing this one to a more moisturizing one).
The current DC I use it ORS replishing, I get the stuff that is in the bottle. Tonight I am going to try to DC with shea butter

Oh and I also have Softliss BKT so my hair is able to smooth down a lot when I brush it so that's why it just comes out wavy in the back.

HTH

ceecy29

what products does your hair likes/loves? Products that smell bad lol! For real I was about to make a thread about this. Anyway, My loves shea butter, coconut oil, Jamaican Black Castor oil. Then V05 conditioners, lekair cholesterol, raw egg-conditioner mix as protein treatment and the Victoria secret so sexy condish (just for smell). Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1 and Ecostyler gel on occassion.

how do you know your hair is growing? Taking loads of pictures! haha! Check out my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/ceecy29/
And not being able to do certain styles after a while.

what is your regime?
I live in twists, sometimes 4 weeks at a time. I wash as needed, condition and do most of my treatments while in twists then moisturize.

Junebug D

My hair likes shea butter, rose water, avocado oil, Kenra MC, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, and AO Island Naturals conditioner.

That's about all it likes, as far as I can tell. :look:

My regimen:

I shampoo once or twice or week. My hair doesn't like shampoo much, but I have scalp issues and need to use it, so... :look:

I DC under the dryer 1x per week with Kenra MC, apply a leave-in, seal with avocado oil, and air dry in a few large twists.

If I'm not being lazy, I'll detangle with my paddle brush and rose water and then do twists with shea butter. I spray those with rose water daily, and apply a bit of avocado oil 2-3 times during the week.

If I am being lazy, then I puff it for the week.

If I'm being contrary then I'll press it with a pressing comb and Silk Elements heat protectant spray and hope it all falls out. :look: :wallbash:

Last edited:

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
what products does your hair likes/loves? My hair loves deep conditioners, instant conditioners, oils and butters. I use the Keracare Humecto conditioner, ORS replenishing conditioner, HE hello hydration conditioner, almond oil (for nourishment), macademia nut oil (for protection against heat damage), wheat germ oil (for strength), peach kernel oil and avocado oil. In the winter I replace my oils with butters (mango, avocado, macademia).

how do you know your hair is growing? I straighten my hair to see if it's growing (no more than 4 times a year).

what is your regimen? My regimen is simple: I wash my hair every two to three weeks with a moisturizing shampoo (CON red or green label) and deep condition for 45 minutes with a deep conditioner under the hair dryer. I then rinse, spray Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla leave-in conditioner mixed with water on my hair and seal with an oil (or butter) and proceed to do two strand twists in my hair. I clarify once a month and do protein treatments when necessary.

Junebug D

My hair likes shea butter, rose water, almond oil, Kenra MC, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, and AO Island Naturals conditioner.

That's about all it likes, as far as I can tell. :look:

My regimen:

I shampoo once or twice or week. My hair doesn't like shampoo much, but I have scalp issues and need to use it, so... :look:

I DC under the dryer 1x per week with Kenra MC, apply a leave-in, seal with almond oil, and air dry in a few large twists.

If I'm not being lazy, I'll detangle with my paddle brush and rose water and then do twists with shea butter. I spray those with rose water daily, and apply a bit of almond oil 2-3 times during the week.

If I am being lazy, then I puff it for the week.

If I'm being contrary then I'll press it with a pressing comb and Silk Elements heat protectant spray and hope it all falls out. :look: :wallbash:

D'oh. Why do I always say almond oil when I mean avocado oil?? :wallbash: I don't like almond oil at all! :lachen:

winnettag

what products does your hair likes/loves?​
My hair likes AOHSR, shea butter, castor oil and my mix of aloe vera, distilled water, rosewater, Trader Joes Nourish Spa, SAA, Rosemary EO & lavendar EO.

how do you know your hair is growing?​
My length check t-shirt!
what is your regime?​
I keep it braided an plan to keep it that way until I reach my goal length. I either have it cornrowed under a wig or in individual braids with extensions. I wash and DC once a week. Spritz daily and seal with castor oil and/or shea butter when I'm wearing my cornrows.

I do realize this wouldn't work for most people because I almost never wear my hair out.

My answers are in burgundy.

ETA: Oh yea, I like HairOne too, but I want to try WEN to see if I like it better.

Last edited:

DivaD04

Alaffia Coconut n Shea Butter Poo n Co; Oil n Butter, Water, and MSM
when I have them in braids; the puffy newgrowth
what is your regime?
Kiss or shall I say Kmrs (keep my reggie simple). I don't do anything to my hair accept poo n co add a little jojoba oil/shea butter and cover with my satin bonnet.

Mook's hair

GREAT THREAD!

Silk Amino Acids.
Mango Butter
Bee Mine Curly Butter

I usually don't. Photos are my truth.

what is your regimen?

Once a month I clarify with Baking soda and Mane and Tail Conditioner.
I let it sit on my hair for about an hour.

I spray daily with Infusium leave in or my mix of Silk Amino Acids

Cowash (Dove INTENSE DAMAGE THERAPY) in twists or braids about once or twice a week.
I tried cowashing more than that but it doesn't really help me.

Moisturize with Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer, or QP Mango Butter or Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1
Oil the ends coconut oil.

When I'm Good I do my scalp with the Bee Mine Growth Serum once or twice a week.

I wear twists often. :yep:

AfroKink

I'm still learning what my hair likes. So far I know it likes:
Conditioners: V05 and Aubreys
Detanglers: Knot Today and Just For Me Detangling Conditioner
Deep conditioner: Aubreys
Moisturizer: still searching, but Knot Today is a nice leave in
Sealant: Shea butter and/or coconut oil

What my hair doesn't like:
SILICONES! Augh. Hate those things!

How I know my hair is growing:
I only do official length checks twice a year. June and end of December. I know its growing when I can achieve different styles. Now I can put medium sized twists into a pony tail. as my pony gets longer, I'll know it's grown even more

What's my regime:

Still working on it. I spritz with African Royale daily. I co-wash weekly. And I DC sporadically (usually every 2 weeks). I'm trying to work in a henna treatment ever 3 weeks now.

Lys

lilsparkle825

this is for my sister...that is her hair in my sig.

products her hair loves:
kenra mc
gvp conditioning balm
honey + grapeseed oil in DCs
ACV rinses or the old CON shampoos
hawaiian silky 14 in 1
VO5 and aussie moist

how she knows it's growing:
we take pics every time we take down a set of two-strand twists or braids.

every 4-6 weeks:
remove extensions, add cheapie conditioner like VO5 and finger detangle
detangle with shower comb
DC overnight with GVP CB, honey and grapeseed oil
wash out and ACV rinse, add HS 14-in-1
put hair in two-strand twists, then rebraid hair

every 2 weeks:
cowash with VO5 or aussie moist
rinse and apply HS 14-in-1

every other day:

moisturize with HS 14-in-1

this summer she wore exclusively two-strand twists and twistouts, and i redid them every 3-4 weeks.

BlkOnyx488

My hair loves Cantu Shea Butter Conditioner I wish I could afford to buy it by the case.
Right now I am only using Amla Oil, I love the smell
I clearfy with apple cider vinegar. I tried using baking soda, but it made my hair hard, maybe I used to much.
I baggie my hair ever night
and I wet and condition my hair every day

Sometimes I do Bantu Twist when it dries my hair looks like it's 3c

And I track my growth by straigtening my hair every 3 or 6 months and then taking pics. and of course posting them on LHCF

Crissi

The ones i use: IC tea clarify poo, lekairs shea butter cholesterol, motions cpr, african pride moisturising spray, paltas bkc treatment, paltas sof oil

Its longer everytime i stretch it -i only let my hair out around every 8 weeks - 6 been the minimum, its always in singles, its been out for a month as of now - exception to the rule and i'm not going that for a long time again!
- Progress pics
- When people say oh your hair is growing/longer

what is your regimen?
I pre poo with paltac kc - like completely drench my hair in it
- Wash with IC tea clarify poo ( i don't see the point in having another shampoo - why clarify to wash it again when your going to deep condition? But to each their own)
- Deep condition with motions CPR - Plastic cap/bag witha towel wrapped around it
- Then follow through and deep condition with Lekairs
- From then i eitha
1. Put a shower cap on and serperate the hair row by row, towel dry the sections - moisturize with african pride leave in followed by palatas sof oil and plait
2. Do my hair into big plaits and do the braiding another time, i also rebraid and moisturize my hair until it gets back to normal as it takes a while to settle. Then i plait it in singles (usually the next couple days) - I think i'm going to stick to this method i think the one above was having a toll on my hair's elasticity.

LEAVE IT ALONE for 6 weeks minimum. During that time i may wash with IC and deep condition with just the lekairs - maybe the CPR who knows - I do what ever i feel like doing at the time. You could say i do this once a week maybe once every 2 weeks. I also sinse my hair with just water whilst i'm in the shower. Then towel dry and moisturize with african pride and sof oil. I moisturize daily/every other day depending on how my hair feels.....

Its not really a regime, just wash and condition - plait and leave it alone

foxee

Aussie Moist, coconut oil, sweet almond oil

I had a bad experience with a flat iron earlier this year (no heat protectant - d'oh! Obviously that was before I joined this forum!) so I haven't length checked in months. However, I can tell my hair is much fuller when I place it in a puff. I plan to flat iron my hair in December.

what is your regime?
DC once a week with Aussie Moist, shampoo every 4 to 6 weeks. Moisturize as needed. Right now I'm keeping my hair cornrowed under a wig. Low manipulation seems to work best for me.

ryanshope

Great thread!!

Now that I am in Germany, I have been really slack about cowashing and such but the following regime is really working for me:

1. Cowashing with Suave or White rain conditioner.
2. Deep condition with Dove or Tresemme over night.
3.Rinse
4. Coat with oil or leave-in an baggy for a few days.
5. Twist or cornrow.

Repeat on sunday.

That is about it. I also "grease" my scalp with sulfur 8---I know this is frowned upon but I love the tingly from it..so i keep doing it :-/ and my hair grows UBER with it...even before I was into healthy hair so I say whatever works.
But that is about it and my fro is so big now she has her own name; Roxxy Jones:afro:

Pooks

My answers in blue

what products does your hair likes/loves? Everything in the list below, barring the shampoos - my hair'll take or leave them

how do you know your hair is growing? I live in protective styles, usually twists, plaits or canerows (no hair added), so when my roots start getting loose, I'm like :grin: 'aw yeah... grow on baby!' I also know I'm on the grow when I get that creepy crawly scalp tingle.

what is your regime?​
Moisturiser: DAILY Either spring water on its own, or with a tiny bit of HSR, or aloe, glycerin and water.
Sealants: DAILY Jojoba oil / EVCO / shea butter mix
DCs: 1ce/2ce per week AO HSR/GBP/WC or a combo of these, sometimes adding wheatgerm oil/honey
Shampoos: 1ce a week or 1ce a fortnight Either Giovanni Tea Tree or whatever AO shampoo I have to hand

I also coffee/tea rinse from time to time, and have experimented with henna too but not sure if I'll continue with it long-term