Vitamins and Supplements...Which Ones and How Much

Which Vitamins/Supplements Are You Taking?

• Biotin

Votes: 164 61.9%
  • B-Complex

Votes: 102 38.5%
  • Evening Primrose

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Flaxseed Oil

Votes: 88 33.2%
  • Garlic

Votes: 60 22.6%
  • MSM

Votes: 105 39.6%
  • Other

Votes: 132 49.8%

• Total voters

nucienuce1

i've just started taking 5000mcg of biotin daily (for about 2weeks now). I started growing my hair in Oct. it was sl and it was apl before i had to cute 2 inches off.

Leesh

I am taking "Great Hair" Vitamins from The Vitamin Shoppe, which has 3000 mcg's of Biotin, 600 Milligrams of Choline and 600 Milligrams of Inositol, I just started again, so I haven't seen any results yet, I can't recall if I had results before, but I will keep you posted.

2themax

I take all of them and then some, including zinc, beta carotene and biosil (30ml liquid formula). Biosil is really great. vitacost used to carry it but now I see iherb.com with it. They sell the natrol brand. I think Jarrow doesn't carry it anymore, they renamed it Jarrowsil and not with the same great results as Biosil. Biosil made my skin glow and smooth, and it made my hair and nails grow. This will remain in my vitamin stash for a very long time.

You too?:grin: So do I. I usually take them for at least 3 - 4 months (or longer if I get good results). If I don't get those results, I stop taking them and move on to something else. I know it's ashamed, but I'm obsessed:wallbash:

For now, I'm taking a Hair, Skin & Nail multi-vitamin (Hair Revive 5 - just started taking on 3/8/09). It has all of the essential vitamins & herbs), unfortunately, it's expensive & you have to take 4 capsule/day. Plus I'm taking MSM and Flaxseed. Every morning I make a tea with Amla Powder, Karela Powder and Neem Powder (Yuuucccckk!!! talk about bitter!). I drink a tea called, "Get Growing" 3-4 times/day and a protein shake every morning (this also keeps me from getting hungry for awhile). Am I obsessed or what? My hair is getting soooooo thick at the roots and growing much faster than it ever did.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Most of the vits I take are for my thyroid, it just so happens that a lot of them are great for hair too! :D

-5mg of Biotin (1 a day)
-B Bomplex (1 a day)
-D3 (3 a day *1000 IU each)
-Selenium (1 a day)
-Gotu Kola (4 a day)
-Chlorella (10 little tabs a day)

LaidBak

Chlorella 4g per day.
MSM 1500mg per day.
A multivitamin, 1 per day (its actually a prenatal).
One Omega 3-6-9 per day.
Calcium supplements every now and again
Garlic tablets every now and again.

I was on biotin for years but it was causing my acne so I stopped. I was taking ALA for about 3 weeks but it broke my whole body out in a rash. But that supplement was for skin and not hair anyway.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Currently I am taking Hairstimulator Vitamins, Chlorella and Spirulina. I recently ordered Biotin and I will incorporate that into the the rotation. I have a MSM Powder/Oil Mixture that I apply topically for Hair.

I also take Maca.

Last edited:

Mamamia

I dont focus on hairgrowth when choosing supplements. I usually stick to the same regimen:
A good multi-vitamin, a probiotic, and enzyme, omega 3 fish oil, and D-3. All of these together not only promote a healthy immune system, but good hair, skin and nails. From time to time I take a vitamin B complex for good measure. Thats all you really need.

OhmyKimB

I take
5 mg of Biotin
Super B Complex
Centrum Multi Vitamin
Garlic 500
2000 mg MSM
Omega 369
Chlorella

I stopped taking Vitamins when I started taking birth control and my hair has been falling out and all over the place! When I started taking chlorella again I realized when my hair was the thickest and the nicest was when I was taking at least my multi, biotin, msm, and super b.

The others I have added because of their benefit. I drink MASSIVE amounts of water so the only side effect I've had in a week of getting back on track is one pimple on my chest.

OhmyKimB

I also took ALA for five days but it caused me to itch really bad and muscle pains. However there are more then a few people on the board who didn't have allergic reactions and had amazing results with it.

Ivypearl08

I can't specifically speak on hair vitamins as I've just started taking them when I joined this forum but GNC's women's vitamins are excellent for overall health. And I attribute a lot of my hair growth and body health to them. I just recently started taking their Hair, Skin and Nails supplements. They contain Biotin, MSM, along with others mentioned on this thread for hair growth. I will let you know how that works in a few months.

StarFish106

Currently I take

Biotin- 5000mcg 1x
Super B-Complex 1x
*Silica 3x
*Hydrolyzed Collagen 3 tabs in am usually and 3 tabs before bed when i remember (on empty stomach)
All from Puritan's Pride

Calcium Supplements (Origins Brand because I dont' get a good amount in my diet I think + mom has osteoporosis)

*These 2 really help manage my NG and it is not hard at all. I am currently 18 wks post and it doesn't bother me and helps me to stretch more.

I also try to drink lots of water to help my biotin intake. If I don't then I get very big acne bumps and that is not a good look

Last edited:

CICI24

I'm excited I started a new vitamin regimen

Viviscal
Hair formula 37
Fish oil
Garden of Life (Perfect Food) Super Green Formula

Nice Lady

For me, I am personally taking the following vitamins: (1) Vitamin Shoppe Hair, Skin & Nails; (2) Biotin-7500 mcg; (3) Triple Omega Pills(Omega-3,6,9) including Olive Oil & Safflower Oils; (4) Multi-vitamin pill.

I used to take MSM pills but I had bad side effects: missed period, unusal bloating, etc.

DaughterOfZion1

Why do you take the 7500in additon to the biotin in the hsn pill if you don't mind me asking. How much is it total and have you seen an improvement as a result of the high dosage of biotin? Thanks!
For me, I am personally taking the following vitamins: (1) Vitamin Shoppe Hair, Skin & Nails; (2) Biotin-7500 mcg; (3) Triple Omega Pills(Omega-3,6,9) including Olive Oil & Safflower Oils; (4) Multi-vitamin pill.

I used to take MSM pills but I had bad side effects: missed period, unusal bloating, etc.

Country gal

I am taking my multi vitamin everyday to help my hair and skin. I am afraid to mess with Biotin,. I had bad breakups before from it.

carletta

for me it's .........

GNC WOMENS ULTRA MEGA BONE DENSITY (4 capsules a day)
NATURE MADE SUPER B-COMPLEX WITH VITAMIN C ( got at walgreens )
SLOW-FE IRON ( got at walgreens )

these three seem to work out better for ME !!! since taking the combination my hair has more growth spurts than I've ever seen ( I knw I sound crazy but it works for me ) I will be sticking to this for a while ....and no I only take them 2-3x a week . THAT'S ALL "MY BODY NEEDS" PER THE DOC !

Ivey14

for me it's .........

GNC WOMENS ULTRA MEGA BONE DENSITY (4 capsules a day)
NATURE MADE SUPER B-COMPLEX WITH VITAMIN C ( got at walgreens )
SLOW-FE IRON ( got at walgreens )

these three seem to work out better for ME !!! since taking the combination my hair has more growth spurts than I've ever seen ( I knw I sound crazy but it works for me ) I will be sticking to this for a while ....and no I only take them 2-3x a week . THAT'S ALL "MY BODY NEEDS" PER THE DOC !

How long have you been taking the Nature Made Super B-Complex w/ Vit C? I took it for a few weeks and have been breaking out in rash-like acne. The bottle says it has 30mcg of biotin in it though? Have you noticed any breakouts? Also, I saw someone mention getting a reaction from taking ALA. I don't take ALA as a supplement, but it's been added to my mayo that I bought last week. Not sure what it could be :ohwell:

carletta

How long have you been taking the Nature Made Super B-Complex w/ Vit C? I took it for a few weeks and have been breaking out in rash-like acne. The bottle says it has 30mcg of biotin in it though? Have you noticed any breakouts? Also, I saw someone mention getting a reaction from taking ALA. I don't take ALA as a supplement, but it's been added to my mayo that I bought last week. Not sure what it could be :ohwell:

I've been taking this for about 3 years now. and no break out ! I dont take it everyday. If you are you might want to decrease your dose. Maybe 1-2x a week :yep:

Celestial

I'm currently taking Maxi-Hair vitamins. I got good hair health with that. I will finish on Oct 24 and that would have made a three month regimen. I would lay off vitamins after that until January 2010 and will start with Formula 50 and Biotin since everyone is talking about it and got good results.