I'm an old behind cradle cap sufferer :( HELP!!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Hairapy, You may want to refrain from picking those types of scabs, they tend to leaves bald spots, You should actually want to let it break away on its own, When My Son had it, it was really bad, and the Doctor told Me I shouldn't pick them.
Just food for thought!,
Good Luck to You!
Maybe I will stop picking them. I can't explain it though... when I take the rattail comb, I can literally part my hair under the skin when it's pulled up and my hair comes through the dead skin and there's holes where my hair once was. I think I will take your advice, a bald spot is the last thing I want.:ohwell:

ETA: It's not hard like a scab. It has a leathery feel to it and it's bendable. When I leave it, it will break apart into large flakeyness. This doesn't happen all over my head (Thank God)

Last edited:

shtow

leesh68 is right. My sis and I get those. I thought it was eczema though. I tried treatment after treatment, natural and antibiotic and they all worked and then stopped working. When I finally literally said forget it, and left it alone, it went away. I used to pick and scratch and lift then and pull them down my strands. Its disgustingly infatuating to my sis and I. Whats worse is they'd grow back in a few hours! But I haven't had any problems since leaving it alone.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
leesh68 is right. My sis and I get those. I thought it was eczema though. I tried treatment after treatment, natural and antibiotic and they all worked and then stopped working. When I finally literally said forget it, and left it alone, it went away. I used to pick and scratch and lift then and pull them down my strands. Its disgustingly infatuating to my sis and I. Whats worse is they'd grow back in a few hours! But I haven't had any problems since leaving it alone.
OMG Yes!!! That is exactly what I go through. I can pick it and pull it right down a few strands of hair and it stays in one piece all the way down. I don't think this is eczema at all :nono: I don't know what it is. My dermatologist gave me poo for seb. dermatitis, but it doesn't have the symptoms of that either eventhough the poo worked. While leaving it alone, did you put anything on your scalp or did you leave your scalp bare?

La Colocha

Same thing with me i used to get them all the time especially in my crown area. I had no idea what caused it. It just went away on its own, even when i shampoo'd the day after it would be back. And it was always in the same areas. No hair would come out they would just come up really easy.

Demi27

I used to get those. I would only get it in the front of my head too.

Believe it or not, it stopped when I stopped using no-lye relaxers. I don't know why that was, but my scalp hated it. My sister used to get it too, but when she stopped relaxing her hair as much (she used no-lye) it stopped for her too. It was horrible because even when I washed my hair my scalp would be like that a few hours later.

I hope you find something that works for you.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Same thing with me i used to get them all the time especially in my crown area. I had no idea what caused it. It just went away on its own, even when i shampoo'd the day after it would be back. And it was always in the same areas. No hair would come out they would just come up really easy.
Thank you!! Yall are making me feel so much better. I don't know anyone around me with this same issue and I felt like a cradle cap having weirdo. I also only get it in my front crown area, closer to my hairline.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I used to get those. I would only get it in the front of my head too.

Believe it or not, it stopped when I stopped using no-lye relaxers. I don't know why that was, but my scalp hated it. My sister used to get it too, but when she stopped relaxing her hair as much (she used no-lye) it stopped for her too. It was horrible because even when I washed my hair my scalp would be like that a few hours later.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Thank you! I'm I use Affirm- the original, plain old regular one. I'm not even sure if has lye or not because I've been using it for so long. I have to check that out.

Now that I think of it, my last flare up wasn't years ago, I some flare ups last summer too. :ohwell:

Last edited:

nomoweavesfome

oooh - OP, I wish the pics were larger. My husband suffers from this as well on scalp, eyebrows and moustache. Always after a fresh hair cut, tape and shave. and it would be monstrous and I am also fascinated at picking it. ( I know it sounds gross) It never itched, or bled or anything. Fresh skin afterwards. Seemed like the more you pick, the quicker it came back, and then after a couple weeks it would slow down until the fresh cut again. See now you are actually helping me because I would like to help my husband. Do you think they have an off brand version of the Rx medicated shampoo?

La Colocha

Thank you!! Yall are making me feel so much better. I don't know anyone around me with this same issue and I felt like a cradle cap having weirdo. I also only get it in my front crown area, closer to my hairline.

How long have you had it? Mine started in my teens on through about 2 years ago. And do you relax? I saw another poster mention something about the type of relaxer. As a matter of fact when i did relax i just got real lazy and went months without doing a touch up, that's when i think it stopped i was streaching and didn't even know what it was. It may be the type of relaxer maybe.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
oooh - OP, I wish the pics were larger. My husband suffers from this as well on scalp, eyebrows and moustache. Always after a fresh hair cut, tape and shave. and it would be monstrous and I am also fascinated at picking it. ( I know it sounds gross) It never itched, or bled or anything. Fresh skin afterwards. Seemed like the more you pick, the quicker it came back, and then after a couple weeks it would slow down until the fresh cut again. See now you are actually helping me because I would like to help my husband. Do you think they have an off brand version of the Rx medicated shampoo?
I've used Selsun Blue and Sulfur 8 type shampoos. They do work, but they only work for a little while has been my experience. That's why I ended up at the dermatologist. I'm going to leave it alone to let it run it's course and see how that works for me. I know when I get my relaxer, my hairline in the front and back is red and irritated every single time I get a touchup- this lasts for alittle while- a few hours. My DD is in love with my scalp when I get flare-ups because she likes picking it too.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
How long have you had it? Mine started in my teens on through about 2 years ago. And do you relax? I saw another poster mention something about the type of relaxer. As a matter of fact when i did relax i just got real lazy and went months without doing a touch up, that's when i think it stopped i was streaching and didn't even know what it was. It may be the type of relaxer maybe.
I started having it in about 2005-'06. I was at my wits end in '06 and that's when I went to the dermatologist about it, I haven't been back since though regarding it because I'm not feeling paying a million dollars for the shampoo. The poo is very drying to my hair, I wanted to find a better way. Yup, I get relaxed. I'm going to have to talk to my stylist about the relaxer. I've stuck with Affirm because other relaxers I've tried don't last on my hair. My hair is VERY thick, even after a fresh relaxer, so I want something that lasts.

The thing is, my last relaxer was 12/23/08. I cancelled the hair appt I had for tomorrow.

Last edited:

La Colocha

I started having it in about 2005-'06. I was at my wits end in '06 and that's when I went to the dermatologist about it, I haven't been back since though regarding it because I'm not feeling paying a million dollars for the shampoo. The poo is very drying to my hair, I wanted to find a better way.

I would say dr bronners then. Very well diluted and add a little of your coconut oil to it(to me it can be a little drying) and it has a very strong smell. The t-tree is no joke.

LaReyna756

I'd experienced that for years. (And I don't want to gross you out, but...) MN cleared it up for me. I tried it as a growth aid, and it cleared my scalp up after a few days. I used a tube a couple of years ago, and I haven't had to use it since.

Another member posted about MN clearing up her cradle cap too.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I'd experienced that for years. (And I don't want to gross you out, but...) MN cleared it up for me. I tried it as a growth aid, and it cleared my scalp up after a few days. I used a tube a couple of years ago, and I haven't had to use it since.

Another member posted about MN clearing up her cradle cap too.
Out of all the things suggested, this is the one thing that I cannot do. Not because of the ever-so-taboo MN on your scalp. It's because I tried it for the growth purposes and had an allergic reaction. I was laid up for about 3-4 days with terrible headaches and nausea behind 1 day of using MN on my scalp. :sad:

Qurlyqt

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but Selsun Blue worked wonders for my son when he had cradle cap! I was told to wet his hair really well, apply Selsun Blue, massage it in with a toothbrush, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse. It was like magic, voila, gone, never to be seen again!

PinkAngel

I used to suffer from the very same thing and I also was prescribed the exact same shampoo. Like shtow I would pull it down my hair strand, they were literally about the size of corn flakes. I was also prescribed Nizoral shampoo, which can be purchased over the counter now but of course the strength is less. My old hair stylist suggested I take flax seed oil or Omega 3,6,9 years ago. It's now under control and I don't get them unless I'm in a very cold climate. When I do, I use coconut oil on my scalp and it seems to help.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston

My hubby has the same problem! Especially after a cut, the more you pick at it, the faster it comes back! Poo's, oils, nothing seems to help...

vnaps

wow....:perplexed ......its was bigger than i imagined :blush:.....i dont have any suggestions but i do agree about not picking them....

i hope you manage to clear it up.....hhg

RavenMaven

Ohhh now that I have seen the pics, I know exactly what you are talking about I used to get those when I got relaxers, and the scabs would form over my scalp and then get dry and I would end up having to peel them off. It's one of the main reasons why I decided to transition.

Leesh

Hairapy, I know it feels good to peel it away, I sorta like doing stuff like that also, but with Your Hair you don't want to take any set-back chances, thats not immediately fixable with hair. But, I agree with a few of the other Women, maybe a dandruff shampoo, or a medicated shampoo, or even seeing a doctor, because if it is a fungus type problem, He/She can provide the proper medication being as though you cannot take the MN.
Good Luck to You My Sister, It will be OK, by the way Your hair is the Bomb, Lovin' It, I can't wait to get to where Your at, Simply Fabulous!

4hairhealth

I developed the same thing on my scalp after using Dr. Miracles in 2007. It was awful. I would was my hair and it would be back by the next morning. Someone suggested Sulfur 8 (the yellow and red jar) I put it on my scalp everyday and in a week it was gone and it has never come back.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Hairapy, I know it feels good to peel it away, I sorta like doing stuff like that also, but with Your Hair you don't want to take any set-back chances, thats not immediately fixable with hair. But, I agree with a few of the other Women, maybe a dandruff shampoo, or a medicated shampoo, or even seeing a doctor, because if it is a fungus type problem, He/She can provide the proper medication being as though you cannot take the MN.
Good Luck to You My Sister, It will be OK, by the way Your hair is the Bomb, Lovin' It, I can't wait to get to where Your at, Simply Fabulous!
:blush: Awww you are too sweet and thank you so much for the compliment!

I will stop picking/peeling it because the last thing I want is a bald spot :sad: Until I check out all that has been suggested, I will keep my scalp saturated with Coconut oil- since I have that already. I'm off from work tomorrow, so I will be at the BSS bright and early to check out products. :)

ctcks

Time for being gentle on your scalp. Use less, rather than more. Here are some ideas:
  • In a hair-coloring bottle, jojoba oil and a few drops of lavender and rosemary essential oil.
  • Health food store, get pure rosewater and put it in spray bottle to mist hair and scalp.
  • In the men's or barber section of bss there is a coconut oil shampoo that is excellent. It has very few ingredients and that's what you need. (Here's a photo in my fotki):
  • http://public.fotki.com/ctcks/products__technique/
  • Mostly, even though this is very upsetting, know that you have people at LHCF who care about this. Try to do what you can, pray to God and just live life. Don't add worry to the mix. You are going to be alright. Lots of Love.

The Sweetest B

When I came to this forum I had problems with my scalp. The sistas here recommended MN and after 3 days my scalp cleared up.

While trying to find a deep conditioner I tried ORC Hair Mayonnaise my scalp problems returned.

By accident I realized that Vatika Oil cleared it up in a few days as well. In doing research on ayurveda I felt that it was the Amla in Vatika that did the trick. I oil my scalp with Amla oil now a couple times a week and my scalp is clean.

Ms.Honey

I went through the exact same thing, looked exactly like that! It took the second time for me to realize what caused it.

I used Elasta QP Glaze on my edges and when it didn't keep them smooth I added JAM on top of it. My skin starting feeling really tight where I applied them and after that these big flakes appeared. Like you said they weren't oily or pus just like a snake shedding or something. I can use the products alone with no problem but if they mix.....:nono: Horrible allergic reaction:perplexed

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I went through the exact same thing, looked exactly like that! It took the second time for me to realize what caused it.

I used Elasta QP Glaze on my edges and when it didn't keep them smooth I added JAM on top of it. My skin starting feeling really tight where I applied them and after that these big flakes appeared. Like you said they weren't oily or pus just like a snake shedding or something. I can use the products alone with no problem but if they mix.....:nono: Horrible allergic reaction:perplexed
:shocked: I used this a few days ago when I wore a fake ponytail!! I sprayed water in my hair and put the glaze on. I didn't mix it with anything else though. I'm going to put some glaze in my hair tonight to see if I get another one. After I peeled it off, it's trying to form another one. I can see the dryness/patchyness forming on the same exact spot.

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
How do I find the pics? It sounds like I have the same exact thing. I'm thinking the no lye relaxer may be the culprit. I just switched to lye and my scalp isn't forming the scabby scaly thingies anymore. Is the overall texture of your scalp kind of hard. Mine is almost like anything I put on my scalp sticks to it. It's weird, and kind of hard to describe. But I can pull the scab along a hair strand too. I'm glad you posted this. I've had this problem for about five years and cut my hair an inch all over be eventually I had thinning spots. Mine is mainly in the crown area and sometimes it burns and itchy.

It seemed to have stopped when I taking liquid flaxseed oil. If starting doing fish oil. I just haven't mustered up the courage to start back on that liquid flaxseed, but i am. Neosporin help to. Jamaican black castor oil helped but only for a little while. Thanks again for posting this at least i know I'm not alone.

What I hate the most is that I have a new compulsion for messing with my scalp, especially if I'm stressed. Not sexy.