SUPPLIMENT SIDE EFFECTS

Started taking pp biotin, pp b-complex sl, doctors best msm, & nutrition warehouse silica on yesterday. Right after the ups guy left I immediately popped 2 msm, 2 biotin, 1 silica & a dropper full of the b-complex (don't ask why I got sublingual). Seems like a few minutes later the top of my head started to kind of ache, nothing major, it subsided a little later. Later on I took 3 more biotin and more b-complex. Did the same thing today. (Didn't take any msm though, taking 2 yesterday was a mistake, thought it was biotin.) And now at the end of today my ankles are swollen and I've had a dull headache on and off all day. Can anyone else attest to any of these side effects? Yes, maybe I did do too much too soon.
HELP!

alireno

Just wondering, did you eat any food prior to taking the supplements? I feel that it is usually a good idea to have something in your stomach prior to taking any type of pills.

karezone

be careful with that biotin, it can cause breakouts, also your urine might change color since a lot of the vitamins are water soluble.

Do you mean skin breakouts? probably so. And I'm aware that some vitamins can change the color of urine. I'm concerned that I'm looking like someones grandmother about the ankles.

Tara

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
divanrare4m said:
Started taking pp biotin, pp b-complex sl, doctors best msm, &amp; nutrition warehouse silica on yesterday. Right after the ups guy left I immediately popped 2 msm, 2 biotin, 1 silica &amp; a dropper full of the b-complex (don't ask why I got sublingual). Seems like a few minutes later the top of my head started to kind of ache, nothing major, it subsided a little later. Later on I took 3 more biotin and more b-complex. Did the same thing today. (Didn't take any msm though, taking 2 yesterday was a mistake, thought it was biotin.) And now at the end of today my ankles are swollen and I've had a dull headache on and off all day. Can anyone else attest to any of these side effects? Yes, maybe I did do too much too soon.
HELP!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so sorry to hear about this. I have a question, did you check with a doctor before you developed your vitamin routine?

Just a reminder that many of the ladies that are on extensive routines (myself included) are not just doing it for their hair. There are quit a few that have had serious health ailments that require them to "load dose" on certain vitamins.

So, all I'm saying is, that even though it's terrific to get advice from us here, and there is so much knowledge on this board, also see your doctor (if you haven't already) just to rule out anything that could be interacting with your vitamins that we, since we can't see you, would not be aware of.

Take care

adrienne0914

i REALLY think that you should introduce the supplements to your system one at a time so that you can see how your body reacts to each. just like now, you really can't pinpoint exactly what's causing the headaches. i think it's too much of a shock to the system to introduce everything at once.

are you taking a multi in addition to what you mentioned? let us know...

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
adrienne0914 said:
i REALLY think that you should introduce the supplements to your system one at a time so that you can see how your body reacts to each. just like now, you really can't pinpoint exactly what's causing the headaches. i think it's too much of a shock to the system to introduce everything at once.

are you taking a multi in addition to what you mentioned? let us know...

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree and also take one instead of multiples of everything and slowly increase the dosage. That way if you have a reaction, you'll know which one it is, if it's too much (then you need to cut back) or if you can't tolerate it at all.

ms jadu

I started to experience Side effects lately:

Im starting to get that throw up feeling
Heavy menstruation cycle

I had started taking certain supplements to decrease the heavy mensturation, but it seemed to not work.In fact, I think they are heavier than normal.

I dont "indeficate" as often as I should.

Sorry it got a little nasty, but those were my side effects.

Jade21

I agree with Sweetcocoa, Adrienne and Tara. Especially, if you are new to taking ANY supplements, start slowly and watch how your body reacts. I don't know if you have any special conditions, but you should run everything you plan to take by your physician at the very least. And, most definitely, keep a log of everything you are taking and the amounts.

Frankly, from what you have written, I think that the headache was due to the liquid B-complex supplement, coupled with MSM. Your dose of MSM was tremendous considering you had never had any. Start conservatively with it at 500mg once daily for the first week, then up it to twice daily the next week. If you want to go higher, slowly introduce to your system as indicated.

With the edema in your ankles, I also think it was a combo of the liquid B-complex with the MSM. The biotin with the MSM may have also aggravated that.

Be sure that you are drinking plenty of water, too.

Sorry for the bad experience!

~Jade~

karezone

Biotin does cause skin breakouts in some. I started out taking 600 mcg right off the bat, and ended up with pizza face. Then I stopped takig them, and my skin cleared right back up. Now I only take 300 mcg per day. No breakouts yet.

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. To answer your questions: No, I didn't consult my dr. I saw how everyone was getting such great results from these supplements in particular that I thought I would join the club. I didn't think (yes, thats the problem I didn't think) that they would harm me being mostly vitamins. I didn't know to gradually up the dosage.
So for the next couple of days I won't take anything and introduce each one individually to find the culprit.
Because today I still have a mild headache and my ankles are swollen (not as bad as yesterday). And yes, I did find that I was not drinking enough water. Last night I drank enough to float a fish in my stomach
and found that my ankles had gone down considerably, by my 4th visit to the bathroom @ 4am.
Thanks again for all your advice and I'll keep you posted as to what happens. I love this board!

14got

yet, the botin really had me messed up. I looked like a teenager. I have a hair multi but it smells like vanilla. I don't think I can take it. It makes my tummy hurt.

I'm not taking naything right now. After that episode, I introduced them slowly and didn't have any more problems. A few months after that, I stopped taking supplements altogether. Just got lazy I guess. I now am using Surge and I think it's working just fine. I've been Surging for about a month now.