Silk Amino Acids...how are you using it and how is it working?

VioletWylde

That's for an experiment in hair straightening - don't know if you've seen the Yogurt Thread for naturals but there was a kind of conclusion that it might be the lactic acid in the yogurt and/or buttermilk and/or coconut milk + lime mixture that is actually causing the straightening.....so I'm going to try out the real thing on shed hair, and see what happens. :look:

I need to get some pH strips and do a LOT more reading first, though....

I don't meant to hijack...but real quick!

I tried the yogurt (+ SAA) straightening on mine. Actually, I think you were the last person to post in that thread after I put up a picture of my results. Honestly, my hands have never gone through my hair -MY NEW GROWTH- with such ease without chemicals and heat. My hair really liked it, I think it may be a keeper for me.

I know that some ladies were concerned about the strength of purchased lactic acid. How do you plan to dilute yours (if you're going to)? When you get your research done and decide on your formula, let us know the results!

I plan on doing yogurt again this weekend. I want to see how that plus banding will treat my hair. At any rate, I'm seeing less of it on the floor, so I'm happy!

JustKiya

I don't meant to hijack...but real quick!

I tried the yogurt (+ SAA) straightening on mine. Actually, I think you were the last person to post in that thread after I put up a picture of my results. Honestly, my hands have never gone through my hair -MY NEW GROWTH- with such ease without chemicals and heat. My hair really liked it, I think it may be a keeper for me.

I know that some ladies were concerned about the strength of purchased lactic acid. How do you plan to dilute yours (if you're going to)? When you get your research done and decide on your formula, let us know the results!

I plan on doing yogurt again this weekend. I want to see how that plus banding will treat my hair. At any rate, I'm seeing less of it on the floor, so I'm happy!

I'm not sure, honestly - it HAS to be diluted - it would be pure insanity to attempt to use it straight from the bottle *shudder* but I'm not sure how/with what - thus, the more reading/research needed. :lol: I figured since I was spending a grip at LC anyhow, I might as well scoop some up..

Averoigne

I've been adding SAA to my Nature's Gate Herbal conditioner. I slather it into my hair, seal the entire length with coconut oil and add a bit of Royal Crown or Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil hairdressing to the very ends. Then I put on a plastic processing cap, a satin cap on top of it, and sleep. In the morning I rinse it out directly under the shower nozzle and detangle (as if I had any tangles...lol) with my Jilbere shower comb. It has left my hair so silky that I haven't even bothered with the co-wash step. I am blown away by how soft and silky it is.

malibu4590

I just got my order of SAAs and Shealoe from lotioncrafter a few days ago and plan on making a leave-in of sorts with those ingredients and a couple of drops of jasmine or lavender EO for fragrance. I hope it comes out well.

JustKiya

:woot:

It came yesterday!!! I fondled all the bottles, and tried the shealoe butter (fabbbulous. That stuff SO rocks!). I forgot to open and smell the SAA though - DH was cutting up.... :lachen:

JustKiya

Can you buy SAA in-person anywhere?

I'm so tried of ordering hair stuff on-line. :ohwell:

Hrm. Maybe a soapmakers shop? If you have one of those in your area - or a place that sells soapmaking supplies?

I don't think you often have brick & mortar places like that though....and I'm not sure who else would sell the pure stuff to the public in small amounts, ya know?

Nice & Wavy

:woot:...I just got mine in the mail today!!!!

Oooohhhh...I'm so happy, I can't wait to get home:lachen:

I'm going to try it with the yogurt and see what happens. I think I'll add some coconut milk to it as well and some honey (gosh, I'm getting hungry...:lachen:)

I will give feedback...yes I will!

blazingthru

I already order this stuff and now I have to go back and get the wheat germ and oat protein. I dont' even know where to keep all this stuff I have order since joining. Good grief. I been trying to finish everything up. Its hard. But I am so looking forward to silky hair and long eyelashes. Can't wait for that. I off to get some clear mascara today.

Nice & Wavy

I already order this stuff and now I have to go back and get the wheat germ and oat protein. I dont' even know where to keep all this stuff I have order since joining. Good grief. I been trying to finish everything up. Its hard. But I am so looking forward to silky hair and long eyelashes. Can't wait for that. I off to get some clear mascara today.

Girl...you know you right....:lachen:

I'm off to get my clear mascara today too and some mascara brushes

JustKiya

I STILL have not gotten my clear mascara!! I was just looking at my eyelashes today, thinking about how much more banging they could be. *sigh*

I might swing by Walgreens tonight.

JustKiya

:lachen: It's the curse of the PJ!!

I finally picked up some clear mascara, mixed in about four capfuls of SAA, and I've been using it for about - oh - four days or so. :lol:

So far, I don't see any real difference - but we shall see in a month what they look like....

SparklingFlame

:lachen: It's the curse of the PJ!!

I finally picked up some clear mascara, mixed in about four capfuls of SAA, and I've been using it for about - oh - four days or so. :lol:

So far, I don't see any real difference - but we shall see in a month what they look like....
I cant believe I'm gonna ask you this :rolleyes: but where did you get your clear mascara from? :wallbash:

JustKiya

I cant believe I'm gonna ask you this :rolleyes: but where did you get your clear mascara from? :wallbash:

:lachen: Girl, the GROCERY STORE. I was moving fast, didn't feel like making a second stop, and checked out the cosmetics aisle. It's CoverGirl, if that helps any. :lol:

:nono: I can't help but to get my beauty stuff from the grocery store!!! :lachen:

SparklingFlame

:lachen: Girl, the GROCERY STORE. I was moving fast, didn't feel like making a second stop, and checked out the cosmetics aisle. It's CoverGirl, if that helps any. :lol:

:nono: I can't help but to get my beauty stuff from the grocery store!!! :lachen:
Thanks a lot, girl!
I havent worn any make up in YEARS so I'm kinda out of the loop. I didnt even know they had clear mascara!

Brownie518

I got a quick question: has anybody ever added SAA to Chi Silk Infusion? :look: Or would that e overkill?

I have been using SAA for a while now, thanks in part to this thread. I add it to any and every. Even things that already have some form of silk. Try mixing a little SAA with some of your CHI before you apply and see how it works. I think you might like it :yep:.

CocoGlow

Ok you ladies got me again!! I thought I wasn't a PJ but who am I foolin' :nono:

I plan to purchase some SAA and MAYBE (yeah right) some wheat & oat protein and some honeyquat from lotioncrafters....

Does the SAA and other proteins come in dropper bottles or do you have to buy a separate dropper? From the site it looks like it comes in a regular bottle and since we only need to add a few drops of it at a time, I need to know if I should purchase some dropper bottles....

Has anyone created their own sort of mascara using SAA and castor oil or something? (that might be too thick but I am still curious)

HotRibena

Ok you ladies got me again!! I thought I wasn't a PJ but who am I foolin' :nono:

I plan to purchase some SAA and MAYBE (yeah right) some wheat & oat protein and some honeyquat from lotioncrafters....

Does the SAA and other proteins come in dropper bottles or do you have to buy a separate dropper? From the site it looks like it comes in a regular bottle and since we only need to add a few drops of it at a time, I need to know if I should purchase some dropper bottles....

Has anyone created their own sort of mascara using SAA and castor oil or something? (that might be too thick but I am still curious)

The SAA from lotioncrafter did not come in a dropper bottle.
I put a few drops of SAA in my clear mascara.

MissRissa

Yeah I'm bumping for an answer to a SAA and castor oil concoction because as soon as I got the SAA i addded it to my lashline with a q-tip. It seems like it made my lash line dry out and get itchy. When I used it before bed it seemed to make them a little hard (i mean it is protein right).

I only wear mascara maybe twice a week so I wanted a way to apply the SAA to my eyelashes everyday but alone doesnt seem to be working.

What are other people doing? are they mixing it with something besides mascara?

JustKiya

I added the SAA directly into a bottle of clear mascara. I'm NOT a makeup wearer, at all, so that seemed like a good compromise - no one but me can tell that it's on, and it only takes a second or two to do it in the morning.

I haven't started using the castor oil on my lashes yet - I wanted to try the SAA alone for a month before I added the castor oil. I planned on applying that at night, and then the mascara in the morning.

MissRissa

thanks kiya, anybody else? im not very fond of mascara which is why i only use it for nights out. its just the way it feels on my eyelashes, kinda irritates me.

CocoGlow

The SAA from lotioncrafter did not come in a dropper bottle.
I put a few drops of SAA in my clear mascara.

Thanks HotRibena... so I need to buy some dropper bottles then....

I added the SAA directly into a bottle of clear mascara. I'm NOT a makeup wearer, at all, so that seemed like a good compromise - no one but me can tell that it's on, and it only takes a second or two to do it in the morning.

I haven't started using the castor oil on my lashes yet - I wanted to try the SAA alone for a month before I added the castor oil. I planned on applying that at night, and then the mascara in the morning.

Thanks JustKiya....I plan to purchase some black mascara for sensitive eyes and then add some SAA to that...I am also thinking of putting some oils like Castor, and lighter oils + some SAA in an empty mascara bottle for days that I don't want to wear mascara at all...

do you think that is a good idea?

Has anyone put castor oil or other oils + SAA on their lashes w/ a mascara wand for better application?

JustKiya

Thanks JustKiya....I plan to purchase some black mascara for sensitive eyes and then add some SAA to that...I am also thinking of putting some oils like Castor, and lighter oils in an empty mascara bottle + some SAA for days that I don't want to wear mascara at all...

do you think that is a good idea?

Has anyone put castor oil or other oils + SAA on their lashes w/ a mascara wand for better application?

I KNOW that some ladies got empty mascara containers - I assume to do the castor oil & SAA with - but I don't know where they got them from....

cocochanty

Well when it comes to preventing relaxer damage it works!. But unfortunately I'm heavy handed and I put some on my new growth and the relaxer didnt take. So just make sure that you put it on PREVIOUSLY RELAXED hair.:perplexed

CocoGlow

I KNOW that some ladies got empty mascara containers - I assume to do the castor oil & SAA with - but I don't know where they got them from....

JustKiya....it took me a while to find empty mascara bottles online but I did..I ordered from here: http://www.diycosmetics.com/catalog/Eyeliner_and_Mascara-70-1.html

I ordered the Clear Base Mascara base/wand sothat I can see how much of each ingredient I am putting in it .....Hopefully someone will provide a recipe...I am thinking of adding castor oil & one of my light oils for spreadability + SAA......

JustKiya

JustKiya....it took me a while to find empty mascara bottles online but I did..I ordered from here: http://www.diycosmetics.com/catalog/Eyeliner_and_Mascara-70-1.html

I ordered the Clear Base Mascara base/wand sothat I can see how much of each ingredient I am putting in it .....Hopefully someone will provide a recipe...I am thinking of adding castor oil & one of my light oils for spreadability + SAA......

My only concern/fear/minor freakout about doing something like that is the potential for infection. The 'homemade' mixture won't have any preservatives in it, and you'll be reusing that same wand over and over and over and over again - introducing all sorts of buggies that are riding on your lashes into the mixture. :ohwell:
I dunno, years of extremely poor vision make me squirelly about putting almost anything near my eyes.
I planned on qtipping the castor oil and tossing the tips afterwards so as to not contaminate the whole bottle... ya know?