Confused about silica

LondonDiva

ArmyQT when it comes to supplements I'm confused about or want to know the best possible brand to, it's better for me to follow in the footsteps of Jade, Amethyst & Allandra to name but a few and take what they are taking. They really do know their stuff. Who woulda thought...Nicotine in horsetail. Starch in the Puritan's Pride Panthenonl B5, little things like that that I would have totally looked over.

They really put it into perspective their reasons and the health aspects behind taking a certain brand.

Nuff props to ya ladies /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Amethyst

Just spoke to the Natrol representive. Those who say their brand silica is 350, or 500mg she said you guys must be confusing it with the horsetail because "no company makes a silica supplement with that much of that mineral in it". She said you guys should call that company to find out for sure. I agree /images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't think Bargello meant that she was taking that much silica. She probably got confused as most people do with labeling horsetail as silica. Again, horsetail IS NOT SILICA. It just contains a percentage of silica. Natrol's extraction method is the same as the Flora Vegesil. It's Aqueous. Jade just probably was trying brands to figure out which works best for her. And believe me, her recommendations are A-OK /images/graemlins/up.gif Natrol says their silica is safe to take everyday. I have just told you all what the Natrol rep had to say. I would be very interested to see posts regarding you guys calling your company(their #'s are listed on their websites) and hearing what they have to say about your silica brand /images/graemlins/smile.gif One of the questions you can ask because I really want to know is, is that 350mg or 500mg all silica or "horsetail", with just a percentage of silica included?

hth,
Amethyst

Madison

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
CurlyCrly said:
Madison and NAY007,

Where do you get your silica and which brand are you using?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

The name of it is Natureworks Body Essential Silica Gel 17oz
I ordered it from vitaminshoppe.com using a coupon of course because it is very pricey /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Armyqt

Amethyst, thanks for clearing that up. I spoke with a rep from Flora and she wasn't too informed about the product. She told about their extraction process (which I already knew) and said that this is what made it safe. My supplement contains 10mg of silica and 410 of horsetail. I'm gonna try the Natrol brand once these run out. thanks again for the info. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jade21

Iris dropped me a note about this thread and wanted me to explain why I was doing the rotation between the Natrol Vegetal Silica 8% and the Flora Vegesil (now Florasil). One is standardized and the other is not. For overall results, I found that my results worked better doing the rotation between a standardized and a non-standardized product. Although the Flora is not standardized, it is very potent and doing the higher/lower intake of silica overall seems to block what I would term almost product freeze in terms of effects. I've found the same to be true with a rotation between two biotin products. Works better that way for me overall.

~Jade~

NAY007

I was looking for my product online here is a link, I know that it is german but when you scroll down a little bit you will see "Kieselerde (which means silica in german) 350 mg". This is not horsetail but Silica. But maybe I will give them a call. But this would explain why they are called Kieselerde Forte, because they are extra high dosed, that's what it says on the package.

http://www.rossmann.de/servlets/FillFrame/SID=c1l6s2dgq5at/frames/f_index.html?TK_PAR[CONTENT]=%2fshops%2fHauptshop%2f3%2f1%2f2%2fc_prod_ean_103824%2ehtml&amp;TK_PAR[NAV_HEAD]=%2fshops%2fHauptshop%2f3%2f1%2fnav_head_2%2ehtml

LondonDiva

I've found the same to be true with a rotation between two biotin products.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jade I know you are a fan of the PP Biotin, which other one do you find that works best for you?

Imogin3

CurlyCrl;

I get 500mg of silica a day and that is PURE SILICA NO HORSETAIL. I take 15 drops(it is liquid) 2 times a day...each 15 drop is 250mg PURE SILICA so that equals 500mg fo silica a day. The brand is CEllFOOD...Essential Silica Formula it is $29.99 for a 40 day supply and must be taken on an empty stomach I have being taking this for a while now because I run alot and it is great for my joints. Our bodies DO NOT break down Horsetail enough to get the little Silica it contains...stay away from Horsetail Silica it is a waste of money....Many research shows that....They "hope" your body breaks it down but only 13% of the participants body actaully did.

Amethyst

Hey Amethyst,

Post those ponies again.....

hada

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I plan too! Girl I miss my horses! They'll probably be racing along here sometime later in the day /images/graemlins/grin.gif Imogin, thanks for your post. Tho' I really find Natrol to be quite potent for me, it's good to know that THERE IS A PURE SILICA product in a high dosage out there. Thanks for the product review.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Imogin3 said:
I buy it at the health food store. They do sell it online though...type in cellfood+silica

[/ QUOTE ]

I found it online. Just wanted to know where you got yours online, if you did, because there are several places that sell it. thanks

Amethyst

Hey Amethyst,

Thanks. I was missing those horses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks GiGi. I missed them also /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jade21

LondonDiva,

Freeda Vitamins biotin has been superior for me. They make 2.5mg and 10mg strengths. They are a kosher company and make some of the best supplements on the market.

Cheers,

Jade

Amethyst

LondonDiva,

Freeda Vitamins biotin has been superior for me. They make 2.5mg and 10mg strengths. They are a kosher company and make some of the best supplements on the market.

Cheers,

Jade

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you know I'm about to chew you out right? You saw all of us up here raving about PPB. You've read the posts where people were saying that they were ordering/spending money on PP Biotin en mass based on what you've said about it and my 2cents too. You even commented on a thread about PPB biotin being very potent. Now you come up here talkin' 'bout how "Freeda biotin" has been "superior" for you? <font color="red"> Girllllllllllllllll I could /images/graemlins/spank.gif</font> until you can't sit down! Why didn't you mention this product b4? Any product that works better than PPB biotin has got to be one bad brand of biotin! Yall I mean bad as in good /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now everyone, if there's anyone to fuss at, all I can say is everybody look to --------&gt; Jade because she's the culprit /images/graemlins/sekret.gif

RLOL, you know we love u girl /images/graemlins/smile.gif I just wish you had mentioned that brand sooner.

Amethyst

CynamonKis

Reading this thread has caused me to look more carefully at the so-called silica in my supplements. Thanks you guys.

At the health food store today I found "Complete Silica" by a firm called TRACE MINERALS RESEARCH (www.traceminerals.com). I have good luck with other supplements from this manufacturer but this is the 1st time I've tried the silica.

The label says its "Diatom Silica Complex" contains "200 mg silica".

On the label of another supplement I'm taking, Nature's Way Hair &amp; Skin, it is said to contain an herbal supportive blend of nettle, kelp, horsetail &amp; oatstraw "which supply silica". Of course, the label doesn't tell me how much, but it says it contains "Horsetail stem - 160 mg"

This is the extent of the explanation of the silica (if any) provided by Nature's Way Herbal Formula that I started taking, mainly because of the herbs contained within. And there is no discussion re: the extration process so I'm prolly not getting much silica out of these!! I wish I had seen this thread before wasting my money.

LondonDiva

Cor Blimey Jade

You have an answer for everything. WoW!! Well thank you again for the information. I'll do some research before I decide between this one and the PP. I'll let you know what I end up taking first.

BTW I started yesterday on the Solgar Pantothenic Acid. Thanks for he recommendation. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

&lt;b&gt;Now you know I'm about to chew you out right?&lt;/b&gt; You saw all of us up here raving about PPB. You've read the posts where people were saying that they were ordering PPB brand in mass based on what you've said about it and my 2cents too. You even commented on a thread about PPB biotin. &lt;b&gt;Now you come up here talkin' 'bout some "Freeda biotin" has been "superior" for you?&lt;/b&gt; &lt;b&gt; &lt;font color="red"&gt; Girllllllllllllllll I could &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/spank.gif" alt="" /&gt;&lt;/b&gt;&lt;!--color--&gt;&lt;/font&gt; until you can't sit down! Why didn't you mention this product b4? Any product that works better than PPB biotin has got to be one bad brand of biotin! (yall I mean bad as in good). Now everyone, if there's anyone to fuss at, all I can say is everybody look to &lt;b&gt;--------&amp;gt; Jade.&lt;/b&gt;

RLOL, you know we love u girl &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" /&gt; I just wish you had mentioned that brand sooner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amethyst, you know that post was too funny. Don't hurt her now!!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Jade21 said:
LondonDiva,

Cheers,

Jade

[/ QUOTE ]

Jade,

In your opinion, what makes the Freeda biotin more superior? Are you noticing changes in your hair? How long have you been taking it?

TIA!

Amethyst

Amethyst, you know that post was too funny. Don't hurt her now!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Jadekins you know we love you /images/graemlins/grin.gif and thanks for the link LondonDiva. I took a portion from the website that says,

"... d-Biotin is depleted from the body when large amounts of egg whites (especially when raw) are consumed. This is important for those on diets stressing only egg whites."

I never knew this. I thought egg yolks instead of the egg-white was more harmful to the body? I see that I'm learning something new everyday /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks again.

Amethyst

skegeesmb

Now I have to get my hands on the 10mg biotin. I take two country life biotin! I'm going to order two bottles of the larger size. Oooooh I can't wait!