I think I may give in to the creamy crack...

SoOoNY

So my goal for 2008 is to grow my perm out aka transition. And today on the first day of 2008 I already am having second thoughts. My birthday is coming up and I was looking at pics from last year and it looked so sleek and straight and this year I cant even get my edges to lay down!:blush: Whats a girl to do... I need encouragement to stay away from the creamy crack... aka a relaxer...

So the point to this is does any1 have any tips on keeping hair sleek and smooth or to look cute for my birthday in the club. I am neck/collar length and I dont wanna walk out the club lookin like a cha cha cha chia....

I also bought some Mizani Thermasmooth but I havent used it yet... if any1 has let me know if it works please... Thanks

glamazon386

Don't do it!! :spank: How do you usually wear your hair? You may have to change your hairstyle to accomodate those edges. It'll be easier to make your relaxed hair look like your new growth than to make the new growth look like your relaxed hair.

Anancy

Why not try a hairstyle that will cover it up whilst your transitioning, that's what i did most of the time, to avoid having to deal with that exact problem.

Cornrows, extentions, weaves, braid-outs, twists.

Maybe you need to look at what products will help lay your hair down. I think some girls apply hair gel like IC to wet or dry hair then cover with a scarf to help the hair look sleek, when the scarf is removed, the hair is flat (i've yet to try it myself).

DarkAngell

I'd experiment with curlier styles maybe. i know when i want the straight look, flat ironing it make it look exactly how it did when it was relaxed....but i understand what you mean about goin to a club or something like that. But to be honest....even when i was freshly relaxed i couldnt wear my hair straight to a place where i was gonna be dancing or sweating and all that. So even back then i would always save the curly styles for those times. i'd do a roller set with small rollers and just pin the front in suchaway that when the roots got frizzy it wasnt that noticable.

But definately try working on curlier styles to get yourself used to more textured styles.

How bout a straw set?? They look great and you're probably at a decent length for it. Im almost 11 months post . You can see my length flat ironed in my avatar. i know once i have at least an inch or 2 more im gonna get some straw sets to get me to my 18 month BC goal.

When i tie my hair back i put gel, brush it back, and then allow for at least 30 mins extra for me to keep my silk scarf tightly around it before i head out to where im going. When i take the scarf off my edges are smoothed down in place and it stays that way.

hmmm....some encouragement:

My NG looks to be 3b, 3c, and 4a. I have about 5 1/2 inches of ng. When i flat iron ...that 5 1/2 inches is like SILK because of how healthy it is chemical free. I thought my hair straightened was very soft before but now i can actually almost see a line between where my healthy hair ends and my relaxed hair begins....and I now realized what healthy straightened hair is supposed to look like!!! I get it just as straight...but yet it has soooo much more body and shine.

HTH

Last edited:

hopeful

Just remember too that's it's just one birthday. To reach your goal (like most goals) you have to make sacrifices. Focus on what you can do with your hair and work with what you have. Like someone said, curlier styles are good. A pretty new wig for your b-day wouldn't be the worst thing. If you really want to go natural you're going to have to be strong and positive. By next year's birthday you will be so proud of yourself for sticking it out.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Shoot! I'm relaxed and I totally agree w/ these ladies:yep:. You've already set a goal for yourself, a really good goal. Don't give up just yet. I would definitely try out different styles until you begin to learn how to take care of the NG. You'll be fine....HHG:grin:

moni_kerr

If your true goal is to grow out your perm then don't let this detour you from your goal! Through my transition I had a set back which I regret!(after almost a year of transitioning I ran to walmart(without thinking) n bought a box of that SUPER dark n lovely relaxer! LOL :lachen:) I think it's very common to want to go back but trust me it gets easier along the way! After a while you get to know your hair and what styles work while transitioning, and what styles don't, just be creative! You could try pressing your new growth, or wear a cute headband, or flat twisting the front, or tyeing it done with a scarf to smooth it out a bit.

But goodluck and don't give in! lol :yep:

SoOoNY

If your true goal is to grow out your perm then don't let this detour you from your goal! Through my transition I had a set back which I regret!(after almost a year of transitioning I ran to walmart(without thinking) n bought a box of that SUPER dark n lovely relaxer! LOL :lachen:) I think it's very common to want to go back but trust me it gets easier along the way! After a while you get to know your hair and what styles work while transitioning, and what styles don't, just be creative! You could try pressing your new growth, or wear a cute headband, or flat twisting the front, or tyeing it done with a scarf to smooth it out a bit.

moni_kerr.... you hair is gorgeous!

Thanks everyone for your help... i have tried braids but they broke my hair off. I guess it wasn't healthy enough... to handle all the pulling, plus for some reason my braids slip right out my hair no matter how tight.

I think I am going to take the curly do advice and maybe get a rodset but i think my hair is short and I don't want the curls to tight... I may look like bo bo the clown... my face is chubby and I dont think it looks good too short

ok i am gonna keep hope alive!:grin:

glamazon386

moni_kerr.... you hair is gorgeous!

Thanks everyone for your help... i have tried braids but they broke my hair off. I guess it wasn't healthy enough... to handle all the pulling, plus for some reason my braids slip right out my hair no matter how tight.

I think I am going to take the curly do advice and maybe get a rodset but i think my hair is short and I don't want the curls to tight... I may look like bo bo the clown... my face is chubby and I dont think it looks good too short

ok i am gonna keep hope alive!:grin:

What about a twist out?

NYCQT16

Natural Again
I had the same kinds of issues when I transitioned and I did back-track once and use a relaxer but now I'm natural and I'm good.

I would suggest maybe flat twists in the front and then maybe a twist-out or braid-out in the back? Or could you flat-iron your hair for that night?

Good luck with whatever you decide :yep:

SoOoNY

What about a twist out?

my hair is so weird with twist outs... the relaxed hair wont stay put... :perplexed

and since its only 4 months post its not enough... my hair is just confusing me. I dont know if I am neck length, collarbone length, or shoulder length... my texture, or what my hair like... the regi i had went thru the window... I think thats why I wanna perm it... it was so much simpler but I miss my curls:wallbash:

HoneyCurlz

I'd experiment with curlier styles maybe.
But definately try working on curlier styles to get yourself used to more textured styles.

HTH

I agree 100%. This is what I did as well. It's like I had to get aquainted with my hair all over again because I had ONLY worn my hair in straight styles....but curlier styles seem to be an excellent way to make the transition, at least for me.

SoOoNY

Well what curly styles do you suggest... (except a twistout) i was thinking the flexi 8 but getting it done professionally cause i have tried plenty of times and it didn't work... any more suggestions from anyone else?

crazydaze911

I felt the same way for a long while, but now that i've reached my 12 month mark, the word 'relaxer' is being pushed out of my mind bit by bit. Its sooooo much easier now cuz i've lasted so long and the 'scab' hair is gone. My natural hair feels more tameable and i found out i can get my hair relaxer straight with rollers and blown out roots wrapped (for at least a day or two- lol) so i have NO REASON to want to go back until MAYBE after i reach my goal (if its too long to handle natural, but by then, it would probably make no sense).
BTW - i like miss jessies curly buttercreme (minty smell) with a satin scarf over night to lay my hair back. Cantu shea butter leave in works well on wet hair also. I was not impressed by mizani thermasmooth. I've used it both on my own and also had it done by a mizani stylist - nothing exciting.
GOOD LUCK with your transition/decision!

glamazon386

Well what curly styles do you suggest... (except a twistout) i was thinking the flexi 8 but getting it done professionally cause i have tried plenty of times and it didn't work... any more suggestions from anyone else?

The flexi rods should work. Or a straw set. Why are you against the twist out?

ETA: I just saw your post above. You're probably not using the right thing on your hair. Or you're not twisting it right. You could also get a twistout done at the salon if you're not good at it. I used to get my hair done like that as a teenager. Just a thought since you said you might go to the salon anyway. I think the flexi rods will give you the look you're going for though. Give them a try.

Last edited:

nappity

Try a straw set and to lay your hair down in the front-try the tried but true method- some gel , or nu-nile, ( i use Lets jam super hold mixed with some IC clear gel) a boar bristle brush and a scarf- will lay even my rambunctious ends down. Buy some straws and some bobby pins- wrap a small tendril around each straw piece air dry- take the straws out and finger comb . Apply something for shine. (Let's jam again) and you are funky fresh dressed to impress ready to party.:yay:

SoOoNY

Try a straw set and to lay your hair down in the front-try the tried but true method- some gel , or nu-nile, ( i use Lets jam super hold mixed with some IC clear gel) a boar bristle brush and a scarf- will lay even my rambunctious ends down. Buy some straws and some bobby pins- wrap a small tendril around each straw piece air dry- take the straws out and finger comb . Apply something for shine. (Let's jam again) and you are funky fresh dressed to impress ready to party.:yay:

lol... Thanks.... I will def consider all these ideas before tomorrow...

SoOoNY

The flexi rods should work. Or a straw set. Why are you against the twist out?

ETA: I just saw your post above. You're probably not using the right thing on your hair. Or you're not twisting it right. You could also get a twistout done at the salon if you're not good at it. I used to get my hair done like that as a teenager. Just a thought since you said you might go to the salon anyway. I think the flexi rods will give you the look you're going for though. Give them a try.

I am not against it. I think they are uber cute but the two textures looke weird on my hair... The top is plump and nice and the bottom is skinny and scrawny. I have the flexi rods in my hair now and I am under the dryer... If they dont workout im going to run to the salon early in the am and get a straw set...

P.S. I forgot to say earlier I was wondering when you were gonna come in here and yell about me for thinking about the perm. You been my ride or die chick when it has come to transitioning...lol:lachen:

candy1214

If you have a hooded or soft bonnet dryer you could do a rollerset and flat iron the roots using a bit of serum or curling wax. One hint I've tried in th past was spraying a bit of hairspray onto my fingers and rubbing a little in to the roots and flat iron. Your roots will stay straighter longer. As long as you dont do that often (once or twice per year), I think you'll be ok.

danimani

Invest in a NICE flat iron, some rollers, some detangler, and leave in conditioner.

Wash your hair, roll it, using detangler and leave in, wake up in the morning, and flat iron it.

glamazon386

I am not against it. I think they are uber cute but the two textures looke weird on my hair... The top is plump and nice and the bottom is skinny and scrawny. I have the flexi rods in my hair now and I am under the dryer... If they dont workout im going to run to the salon early in the am and get a straw set...

P.S. I forgot to say earlier I was wondering when you were gonna come in here and yell about me for thinking about the perm. You been my ride or die chick when it has come to transitioning...lol:lachen:

LOL You knew I was going to! No more perms missy! Let the curls out! :lol:

MrsHouston

Wow! your hair to so pretty:)