Calling all EPO and MSM users

Britt

I have been taking MSM for a few months now, I was getting good results while taking it, faster new growth. Well, for the past month, my hair texture drastically changed from an easy to deal with 3c/4a texture to a 4c/d maybe even a 4z. My new growth was beyond unmanageable
, I could barely put my fingers through it, I usually comb it with a tail comb 16 weeks post relaxer. Even my mom noticed the difference. I went to the hairdresser yesterday to get a touch up (I had to get a touch up at only 11weeks post relaxer b/c of this disaster
) Just parting my hair to apply the relaxer hurt like he!!. I got the TOTAL OPPOSITE results with MSM, isn't it suppose to soften my new growth? What gives? Anyway I stopped taking it a week ago because of this and I am now only taking EPO and a Multi oil. I have read about the softening effects of EPO and EFA's, I hope it works. Does anyone know why this happened to my new growth while taking MSM?
Also how long did you guys see results while taking EPO and EFA's? What is your dosage?

Very confused

~Britt~

pookeylou

Wow...that's very interesting...

I have only noticed strength and thickness with MSM...It definitely seems like I have MORE hair...but also the diameter of the hair...seems bigger. I have also notice my NAILS are hard! They used to always be strong anyway...but very, very flexible...now they are so hard...that if I bang my hand against something...the nail cracks...like a broken peice of pottery.

Could the different texture be...not due to texture change...but the fact that there is MORE of it to deal with?

Britt

Pookey there is a DEFINITE texture change! I hate it b/c it prevents me from prolonging the time bet. touch ups and when the 2 textures are completely different my hair is likely to break just from combing it. It was a mess to just get my fingers through it. I am very dissapointed that I had to have the adverse effect
. BTW are u taking any EFA's ?

soslychic

What brand are you all taking? I heard a couple of people saying that there hair was harder when using the spring valley brand of msm. I took this brand too and don't thinik that my hair was harder, but it certainly wasn't softer. This has so many fillers in it anyway, it could have been any number of things.

Britt

I was taking GNC 1000 powdered capsules. I don't undertand in the first 2 months taking it my hair was growing like a weed, now the growth slowed down and turn hard and nappy

pookeylou

I am not taking EPO's (maybe that is the connection)...I take MSM (Walgreens brand) and CoQ10 for my heart....I do take GNC Megawoman vitamins...if I happen to remember...but that's it.

ThursdayGirl

I had that experience too ... you aren't alone. I can't remember which MSM I was taking... but I think it was Doctor's best...at 1000 mg/ capsule. I started raising my dose to try to get faster growth and to loosen my curl pattern-like people were talking about. Instead, My new growth was drier and harder (even Profective root health didn't help)...and my hair much more curly (I went from wavy-curly, manageable 4a to unmanagable very tightly coiled "4 wha-what..the heck is this on my head?").

I don't know what causes it. I stopped the MSM for awhile and my texture returned to what it was before. I was taking EPOs at the time. I stopped that too due to a health issue that I think is related to my taking EPO for a few months.

I am now waiting for another brand of MSM to get here and I will try that. If I get the same results....then I will quit MSM indefinitely.

lunalight7

Britt, I too take GNC's MSM 1000 mgs. The first 3 months or so, my wave pattern definitely loosened up and the new growth increased (Biotin helped too). Now, my hair grows in the way it had before...plain ole' 4a...not tighter or kinkier than usual...just seemed like the results kinda wore off....I also take EPO, Flaxseed oil and Cod liver oil. The last is to boost my immunity to colds and stuff but I figured it would be good for hair too. Overall, the oils seem to soften my newgrowth ( and I dont get cramps anymore which is a big plus). Sorry you had this experience.

G

I posted this on another thread but got no response...

Question: What is a good brand of MSM that contains the full amount specified on the bottle? I ordered Puritan's Pride MSM and today when I received it-I find out it only contains 170 mg of organic sulfur as opposed to the 500 mg I supposedly ordered. I am so tired of these vitamin companies fooling me! First, my hair vitamins are foul, then I find out about L-cysteine (from Puritan Pride also) and now this!

Britt

CBG: the newgrowth was disgusting to me. It was coarse and dry. No I don't think its any stronger. It was truely a nightmare. The relaxer took well b/c the hairdresser was smoothing for a good 20 minutes.

Thanks everyone for your replies !

ThursdayGirl

Natori... usually they list the ingredients for each vitamin (if you're looking online) I'm not sure exactly where you were, but where they list the different product, try clicking "more info" and it should show you a "copy" of the label from the bottle. Only bad thing is PP doesn't do that for all products. Vitaminshoppe does, however... I think.

HTH

G

Thanks Thursdaygirl, I checked some other sites and they do list the ingredients on the back. I found a few sites that supposedly have the full amoung of miligrams as listed on the bottle so I guess I might order those.

EbonyF

Maybe I am just reading you wrong here but... it's almost like you're saying 4c/d/z (which is 4b, and not the other made-up letters), is not manageable?

All hair, regardless of the "type" is manageable with the right products
I mean, I have 4a hair and not all the time my hair is right and dandy.

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
. Well, for the past month, my hair texture drastically changed from an easy to deal with 3c/4a texture to a 4c/d maybe even a 4z. ~Britt~

[/ QUOTE ]

ThursdayGirl

[ QUOTE ]
EbonyF said:
Maybe I am just reading you wrong here but... it's almost like you're saying 4c/d/z (which is 4b, and not the other made-up letters), is not manageable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi there, I think you were quoting me, actually and you're right any hair type is managable with the right products... I was more so expressing that I found it unmanagable with what I had...and the experience I have... I don't usually have that hair texture... but you're wholly right...it does depend on the products you use.

Britt

[ QUOTE ]
EbonyF said:

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
. Well, for the past month, my hair texture drastically changed from an easy to deal with 3c/4a texture to a 4c/d maybe even a 4z. ~Britt~

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I meant to say that my hair texture changed drastically. The 4z thing was obviously a joke, I did not mean to offend anyone's hair type. I only wanted to point out the huge change in hair textures. I applied castor oil to my new growth and it was still difficult to deal with. I usually do not have this problem.
~Britt~