OK I'm convinced MSM is toxic in some way!

How does the fact that MSM lengthened your cycle, which most women would love (at least I would), and decreased PMS symtoms, again something most women would love, make it a toxic or dangerous thing?

Did I miss something?

First of all, lengthening of the menstrual cycle can be a dangerous thing in that a woman will be exposed to too much oestrogen which can have risky effects. . Anything that is altering my mensrtrual cycle to the point of making me think i never ovulated is worrying. I dont need anything messing up my fertility for the future. I personally am not comfortable not feeling all my normal aspects of my cycle from ovulation to pms etc and having it nearly six days late and i forgot to mention extra spotting for 3 days b4 on my last cycle! We dont know the long term effects of MSM. Id be very concerned if it causes these effects now what it could do in the long run. Ladies ,be safe!!!

Golong

only good thing msm did for me was to strengthen my nails. Besides that it caused moles to develop on my face and neck. I stop taking it had a doctor romove the moles and not had a problem since

C

chica_canella

I had the odd experience of it worsening my joint pain. I really couldn't believe it, but I went off of it and the pain reduced or went away completely. I went on it again and the pain came back. This happened a few times. So I finally just stopped taking it and things have been much better since.

Weird too... the same thing happened to me.:ohwell:

C

chica_canella

MSM worked for me and I actually have clearer skin, healthier joints and better hair for it, but I would not have continued taking it if I had the reaction you described, it's good you stopped!! :nono:

I asked my uncle, he's a Dr. He says it's not toxic, but depending on the state of your hormones and other factors MSM can cause some of the effects you mentioned including altering your hormonal balance. That is an extreme reaction and it's good that you stopped taking it. It does have detoxing effects on the body, but what you described was beyond the norm of purging acne or headaches often described in the initial stages of detox.

It's always important to keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for another. We all have different chemistry, medical history, varying diets/prescription medicine and hormone levels that can play a role in how our body reacts to certain things including natural supplements.

This is what is so shocking to me! When I first started taking it, after I joined the site, I received alot of benefitst. My hair was growing like crazy-major growth spurt!

But now my joints seemed to start aching and I've experienced no growth spurt. But then I also was drinking more water.

I don't know but I did increase my dosage immediately after I started back up so that may be a reason too.

I'll just stick with my Ultra Nourish Hair vits.:yep:

BrooklynSouth

Toxicity, that I do not know for sure but I missed two cycles, first thought "Oh hell, pregnancy now..no, no, no, no." Thought, OK menopause...my gyn said no, your levels do not indicate that...stopped MSM and all supplements for a week so I'd get a growth spurt when I re-started them......and guess what? Aunt Flow!! Definitely something to this supplementation.

BronzyBella

I'm almost done my three month supply of MSM capsules. I decided that I won't be getting anymore. I initially began taking it to improve my skin, and perhaps gain some extra length. My pores are more refined, but I still get breakouts. Also, my hair grows at a rate of about 1/2" per month regardless of what vitamins I take or topical growth aids I use. The main reason for stopping however, is trying to save myself a little money. ;)

purity28

This sounds scary. Are you ladies having problems from additional MSM pills/powders? Or is the MSM in products like GNC UltraNourish Hair? causing you to have all this..I just bought the UltraNourish Hair now I'm scared to take it...

angelbaby

MSM gave me some of the worst acne of my life. I'm talking that cystic painful acne. My skin was clear and pretty before I started taking MSM. I had to stop taking it my skin was looking so bad. How long did some of you use this before you stopped experiencing breakouts? I too noticed that it messed up my menstrual cycle. Long hair just isn't worth all that to me.

ayoung

Messed my cycle up bad. I was spotting, coming back on after only 1 or 2 weeks, when it came it stayed wayyyy longer than supposed to.:nono: Had to give it up!

But it's cool---the benifits weren't that drastic that I miss the MSM

• Messed my cycle up bad. I was spotting, coming back on after only 1 or 2 weeks, when it came it stayed wayyyy longer than supposed to.:nono: Had to give it up!
But it's cool---the benifits weren't that drastic that I miss the MSM

I had the same problem, spotting and extra long period, thats no fun lol. I agree that the benefits were not all that to keep me on something that did that,, Matter of fact even if it did have greater benefits i still wouldnt take it. It has not been studied long enough or well enough to know that it doesnt cause serious hormonal issues or worse...

The Girl

I had the long periods and very "cleansing" I guess you could say. I just chalked it up to the detox. I was on Hormonal BC for a lonnng time so I was glad for the detox. I didn't experence the other negatives until I stopped taking it. I love it. I also know that when your body detoxes sometimes things get worse before they get better...your body goes in reverse so to speak until it gets to a good place.

PhonyBaloney500

Wow I never really read any of the MSM threads so had no idea about it. I would be very wary of something that is adding estrogen to your system. Doesn't more estrogen=breast cancer risk (think of the warnings now about eating too much soy)? I mean who is to say it would cause that but who knows what they'll say in a few years with some research.

Crissi

I had the long periods and very "cleansing" I guess you could say. I just chalked it up to the detox. I was on Hormonal BC for a lonnng time so I was glad for the detox. I didn't experence the other negatives until I stopped taking it. I love it. I also know that when your body detoxes sometimes things get worse before they get better...your body goes in reverse so to speak until it gets to a good place.

I don't think its the cleansing TBH because when i did colonix my period still came as normal. A boy that really was a cleanse (lol well for the month and a half i did it), the benefit was whilst i was on colonix i was falling to my knees in pain as i usually do when im on my period. When i took MSM my period disapeared for a bit and came back HEAVY. I was "flooding" for 1 day, then is basically completely stoped, so i had a 1 day period...then spotting which is wierd for me because i usually have a painful first day, then the next 2 or 3 days are cool and the last couple days are light. I know my body and i'd personal like a painful first day and get a "normal" period than have a heavy DAY. I wonder what that would do to my body in the long run? Im considering cutting the dosage and see how that goes, however i do wonder is that even worth it? I might as well just stick to what i know and take a combination of womens oil and chyrophyll (sp) to clear up my skin and benefit my hair and scalp.

Im not saying its not cleansing but I dont believe my effects were from cleansing,, I was on MSM for over a year and had these effects, I had begun to take one of the the purest, cleanest, most potent form of MSM (optiMSM). I believe my side effects were hormonal,, very late ovulation,( if at all) spotting etc, is not cleansing. I also had a horrific reaction to evening primrose oil( extreme mood changes nearly suicidal, the most awfully painful heavy period ive ever had in my life) which I know to contain oestrogen. If oestrogen is the culprit then i guess i dont react well to any extra oestrogen in my body , maybe it creates an oestrogen excess , i have a rather extreme "gynaeoid" body type which is already ruled by oestrogen, just a theory on that,,,,,, my point is I dont believe its cleansing thats causing these types of cycle changes,, I think if you are experiencing any cycle changes you are messing with your hormonal balance and that may well be very unsafe, id be concerned about my fertility and even reproductive cancers. A few years back my niece was 22 or 23 and died of ovarian cancer ( i'dnever met her but i was hurt and struck all the same) ( i have a niece and nephew older than me lol crazy i know). Now I have no evidence that MSM causes ovarian cancer but Id be concerned about the effects of hormonal changes if you are experiencing cycle changes, particularly if theyre negative changes, better to be safe than sorry, Id speak to a gyn and Id also seriously consider if its worthwhile to use this stuff or any supplement that has such side effects,,, thats it I wont bug u on this topic anymore.....

Last edited:

klb120475

I think MSM is the best thing since fried chicken. My asthma is basically non-existant, my allergies are pretty much gone, my skin cleared, I have fewer cramps, and my memory improved. I had a few discomforts initially, but IMO it was my body being cleaned out, not because MSM. It takes about a year for the body to recuperate from all the damage we've done to it over the years, and perhaps for some of us, it would have taken a little longer to see progress. I do understand some not wanting to take chances, though.

ITA! I luv me some Msm..........:grin:

bajanplums1

If there is something wrong with your cycle, I think it is best to go see a Dr. as opposed to guessing. MSM may not be an issue at all, but maybe something else. Why take a chance and diagnose yourself??

If there is something wrong with your cycle, I think it is best to go see a Dr. as opposed to guessing. MSM may not be an issue at all, but maybe something else. Why take a chance and diagnose yourself??

I had to come out of lurkdom to TOTALLY agree with the above post.

Don't ever self-diagnose. I am in the medical field and have seen many catastrophes/fatalities due to self-diagnosing!:nono:

The Girl

Wow RavenHairBellyDancer and Crissi after reading your posts you might be right. When I typed cleansing, I was trying to find a way to say heavy flow without saying it:ohwell:. Now I am beginning to wonder if that is necessarily good and I am off to search body types

motherx2esq

I had the odd experience of it worsening my joint pain. I really couldn't believe it, but I went off of it and the pain reduced or went away completely. I went on it again and the pain came back. This happened a few times. So I finally just stopped taking it and things have been much better since.

This happened to me when I stopped taking MSM. My joints hurt like the dickens!! I felt 90 years old. Plus I got cysts on my face that hurt when I was taking the MSM. I stopped taking it too!

thanx, but there really is nothing wrong with my cycle...... except when MSM comes in, thats the ONLY time i suffer these abnormalities,, and the same seems to be the case for the other women who have posted about MSM causing cyce disturbances, they occur strictly during the period of intake of MSM,, that can only lead me to one conclusion: MSM is doing it somehow!, lol. Its like whenever i bump my arm it hurts,,,, im gonna have to assume its the bumping thats hurting my arm so the remedy is stop bumping it:perplexed

Last edited:
Wow RavenHairBellyDancer and Crissi after reading your posts you might be right. When I typed cleansing, I was trying to find a way to say heavy flow without saying it:ohwell:. Now I am beginning to wonder if that is necessarily good and I am off to search body types
About the body type thing, that is honestly just a theory of mine,i honestly have no clue even if estrogen is the culprit,, but it seems to make some kind of sense.. I suspect though that android or other body typed women may suffer the same side effects from MSM so who knows.........:yawn:

alexstin

This happened to me when I stopped taking MSM. My joints hurt like the dickens!! I felt 90 years old. Plus I got cysts on my face that hurt when I was taking the MSM. I stopped taking it too!

It's been about a week since I stopped MSM and my knees are feeling better. We'll see how it continues to go. Why/how would MSM make your joints hurt more?:perplexed

I can relate to the 90 yo lady feelings. A few weeks ago I was like,"What is going on with my body?" I felt like an old woman. I can't believe MSM may be the culprit.:wallbash:

motherx2esq

It's been about a week since I stopped MSM and my knees are feeling better. We'll see how it continues to go. Why/how would MSM make your joints hurt more?:perplexed

I can relate to the 90 yo lady feelings. A few weeks ago I was like,"What is going on with my body?" I felt like an old woman. I can't believe MSM may be the culprit.:wallbash:

The one I used stated that is was for joints. So after taking so much and then stopping my poor joint were use to it and after stoping they had to return to normal.

Mystic

Anyone thought about the fact that it might not be the MSM that's the problem but the amount of doses that is taken? I have seen people take like 4000mg of MSM or more when the amount to take is probably 1000mg or less. Have been taking MSM for years at minimal dose; have not had any problems at all.

Last edited: