Do you oil your scalp?

• No I don't oil my scalp and it grows fast

Votes: 91 36.7%
  • Yes I oil my scalp and it grows fast

Votes: 157 63.3%

• Total voters

ceedeelight

Hi,
Does anyone place oil on their scalp. Not just hair, but scalp also. I was speaking to a lady at work who is natural and she said don't oil the scalp because it will clog my pores and cause my hair to grow a lot slower. She said that if I didn't oil the scalp my hair would grow crazy fast? I can understand her reasoning, but as a kid my mom put straight up grease on my scalp and my hair grew. What are your thoughts or comments about using grease on your scalp.

I'm going to set this up as a poll, but I appreciate all extra comments. :)

smuice

Divalicious said:
I use jojoba oil on my scalp because it's closest to our sebum. My hair grows the same.

I use an oil called the Root Energizer on my scalp it contains essential oils like rosemary and emu oil, I use it twice a week and wash my scalp often so the pores are not clogged, grease is a definite no-no!:)

Energist

I will only use a scalp moisturizer (Mizani Rosemary H2O Cream) once a week and massage it in. I don't concentrate on any areas to avoid giving too much oil, because our scalp creates it's own sebum.

guesswho

I use my homemade mixture of ultra emu oil, neem oil(it stinks), avocado oil, carrot oil, jojoba oil, wheat germ oil, shea oil, and almond oil, I mix it and put it on my scalp at night, I love it:)

camellia

I never put anything on my scalp. I think washing as often as I do keeps my scalp sufficiently moisturized. My hair grows fine without it.

PinkPebbles

I have been using Vatika Oil for two months and I already see a difference in the health of my scalp and hair.
My hair and scalp use to be dry and in certain areas brittle (especially towards the nape) but not anymore. It's a noticeable difference, my nape and edges filled in.
I know our hair produces its own oil (sebum) but relaxers take away a lot of natural nutrients from our scalp.

stargazer613

I oil my scalp almost daily with Jojoba oil. And like a previous poster said, it's closest to our scalps own sebum so it won't clog your pores. It's believed to alleviate dandruff and promote hair growth. I love it!

xxxxcherishxxxx

Only use Boundless Tresses on my scalp. Sometimes use WGO on my scalp but haven't really been using it that much. BT is basically the only thing that goes in my scalp. Didn't know about the jojoba being closest to our own sebum, I usually seal with Jojoba or Castor. So I might try using Jojoba to the scalp too...thanks!

Sweet_Ambrosia

Old school hair "grease" that's pumped with mineral oil/petroleum may clog the scalp (for some). Natural oils like coconut oil, castor oil, evoo, jojoba etc..can help nourish the scalp, plus they're easily absorbed by the scalp unlike mineral oil/petroleum. I use coconut oil and castor oil on my scalp and my hair grows just fine. :)

chayil0427

When I used to oil my scalp I'd have major dandruff. Now that I no long put oil on my scalp it's very healthy.

Chayil

Afrolinda

I use natural oils on my scalp and my hair is growing just fine. A year from now I will be able to tell if it grew faster than when I wasn't oiling my scalp.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I use light, natural oils on my scalp, but I also do regular pore cleanings. I can't say I've noticed increased growth, but my scalp stays supple and itch-free.

sunshyne_krissy

I use either avocado oil or manoi oil on my scalp. It helps to apply in ONLY right after I wash and apply conditioner...otherwise I think it would just sit there on top and not get absorbed. I love avocado oil on my scalp right after a deep conditioner b/c it soaks in like a spa treatment and leaves my new growth coming in sooo soft.

tenderheaded

The year before I found LHCF I was "balded" by a stylist. Not even enough to pinch. I used Blue Magic and Perm Repair and 1 yr later I was shoulder length.
I now use coconut oil or Vatika oil and my hair and scalp LOVE it!

neonbright

I used to use Castor Oil, but I have stop for the last some weeks and I will see how long my hair has grown after my touch up, next week. But it seem to be doing well.

Lavendar

Yes. I think a combination of things makes my hair grow faster, but natural oils definitely don't seem to hinder it. I used WGO for the first 11 months of my journey and went from neck to APL. Now I rotate natural oils like ultra emu, shikakai and others and my scalp drinks them all up like it's really thirsty.;)

SvelteVelvet

I use BT on my scalp. I did go nearly 2 years without using oil or grease at all and my hair went from neck to 2 inches past shoulder within that time, even through set backs and taking an inch or two off to even it when it was uneven. I've been on BT for a month and I have noticed accelerated growth from it's use. I don't really feel like I can vote because my hair has grown either way, but using oil definately hasn't hindered it in the least bit.

cutenss

Castor oil gives me nice growth. I use it only after wash days. I mix it with other essential oils. :yep:

e.lauren

I use JBCO on my scalp and it keeps my scalp moisturized even though a co-washing. My scalp gets REALLY dry so I need to oil it.
I don't find the JBCO to be too thick because I literally dip my finger in the bottle, wipe until its not dripping and THEN apply the oil to my scalp.
My hair on the other hand, retains moisture easily so I put a really light oil on it if I put any at all

Vashti

I use olive oil to oil my scalp about every other day. Keeps flakes away and mt hair grows in just fine. I don't know about fast growth. I get the normal rate of growth I guess. I think it just keeps my scalp from getting too dry. I don't think it does anything for hair growth.

BlaqBella

Yes i oil my scalp now whenever i dc w/ ev unref. coconut oil and coat my hair strands with it. (Patchouli(sp?) yt dc tutorial) And i sparatically(sp?) use my mtg & e.o's mix.