L-cysteine

Okay

Hey ladies :)

Any of you have any experience with taking L.cysteine? I was reading some reviews on it on Iherb at some buyers say it made their hair grow crazy fast? Any personal experience with this?

brownsugarbaby

I have been wondering the same thing. I've had my eye one TwinLab's Hair Factor which includes biotin and vitamin c. After doing a little bit of research I found that L-cysteine is properly absorbed with a sufficient amount of Vitamin C.

I know Candy C, once inquired about it.

creolebombshell

I use to take it when my hair fell out after a bad relaxer back in 1996. My hair was different lengths and the shoulder length was about the longest By July 1997 my hair was down to my my brastrap. It really does work my hair was really long and full.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Yes. But I stopped taking L-cysteine and now take N-A-C (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine). I think I remember researching and finding that N-A-C is a derivative but when taken orally, it becomes a more stable form of L-Cysteine...or something like that. And, I think I also read something negative about longterm L-Cysteine or a contraindication which made N-A-C a better option for me. But, that was a hundred years ago and I can't find that info now so, don't quote me. I just know the info found caused me to switch to NAC. But, to be clear, I can't find any negative claims about L-cysteine now.

So, long story short, yes I do. :yep: I just take it in N-A-C form.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I also notice that there's L-cysteine in the hair vites that I take from Walmart.

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
I take the NAC (N-Acetyl L-Cysteine) version like NJoy. I get good growth but I take it with 5000 mcg of biotin and do scalp massages. I heard that NAC is better than regular L-Cysteine because it's easier for your body to absorb and can be taken for longer periods of time (with regular L-Cysteine, you're supposed to take breaks from it).

LaidBak

I ran across something about this supplement online tonight. I may consider taking it after I do some more research.

Ms. Tiki

laidback Not for me but I make sure I drink a lot of water b/c I take MSM and biotin which will cause acne if you don't consume enough water.

MissTripleChoc

I've been interested in this supplement too. I've read scientific reviews and the benefits, but Im yet to find a load of real people's reviews advocating this supplement. Time to do more research on it!

LaidBak

@laidback Not for me but I make sure I drink a lot of water b/c I take MSM and biotin which will cause acne if you don't consume enough water.

Yeah that's my fear. Biotin gives me horrible cystic acne. MSM gives me problems, though not as bad. I am not good at drinking lots of water.

LaidBak

I took NAC for entirely different reasons (with Vitamin C) and never had acne. Its actually supposed to be good for the skin. I'm acne prone, and my skin cleared up while taking it.

Biotin made my skin break out in horrible cystic acne too - even in small amounts.

Shoot! I forgot about the Vitamin C. I'll have to get some of that too.
How much of this stuff do I need to take daily in order to see hair growth results? I have 600mg capsules.

greenandchic

Interesting....does it cause acne then?

Bought some NAC today. I'm hoping this works for me w/o causing acne.

I took NAC for entirely different reasons (with Vitamin C) and never had acne. Its actually supposed to be good for the skin. I'm acne prone, and my skin cleared up while taking it.

Biotin made my skin break out in horrible cystic acne too - even in small amounts.

LaidBak

Been taking it regularly since I posted. It makes my ankles itch. The same thing happened when I tool panthenol supplements.

LaidBak

Been taking it 3-4 times a week since I started. No side effects. Not sure about growth because I cut a lot of hair off to deal with a setback. But at least it hasn't caused me to have acne.
Anybody know what the best dosage is for maximizing growth benefits?

Aggie

I had ordered the L-Cysteine online a couple weeks back because it's cheaper - 100 count at 500mg a capsule. I will be looking into ordering the NAC later and alternating the L-cysteine with the NAC. It can't be all that bad if I do it this way.

I really do want the L-cysteine more than the NAC but if there if taking L-cys long-term produces unwanted side-effects then I will continue to alternate the two. I will be doing some additional research on both of them none the less.

I have a good feeling about these vitamins. I always have vitamin C in my vitamin stash so I'm good with those.

cocoagirl

I am getting ready to order some N A C N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine does it matter if I get the:

Vitacost brand
Other Ingredients: Gelatin (capsule), stearic acid, rice flour, magnesium stearate and calcium silicate.
Free Of
Milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, soy, gluten, titanium dioxide.

or the

Jarrow's Formula
Other Ingredients: Cellulose, magnesium stearate (vegetable source) and silicon dioxide. Capsule consists of gelatin.Free Of
Wheat, gluten, soybeans, dairy, egg, fish/shellfish and peanuts/tree nuts.

Vitacost brand is of course cheaper. Not sure what the difference is in ingredients...?

GinnyP

I am getting ready to order some N A C N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine does it matter if I get the:

Vitacost brand
Other Ingredients: Gelatin (capsule), stearic acid, rice flour, magnesium stearate and calcium silicate.
Free Of
Milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, soy, gluten, titanium dioxide.

or the

Jarrow's Formula
Other Ingredients: Cellulose, magnesium stearate (vegetable source) and silicon dioxide. Capsule consists of gelatin.Free Of
Wheat, gluten, soybeans, dairy, egg, fish/shellfish and peanuts/tree nuts.

Vitacost brand is of course cheaper. Not sure what the difference is in ingredients...?
it has been documented titanium dioxide is bad for you causing all kinds of stomach issues, but some companies continue to put this in their supplements why?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.

It's interesting that you say that, because earlier this year, my dad passed. It was a very dark time for me. I barely bathed and probably briefly wiped my face with a towel maybe once a week. I was filthy and didn't give a damn. :lachen::look: But thinking back to those 3 or so weeks, I only got one or two pimples, when I'm usually pretty acne-prone. So, yay for NAC, for keeping my skin in check when I neglected the hell out of it! :lol:

As far as hair growth... due to slow growth, I usually get about 3 inches a year. This past year, I've gotten 4, MAYBE 5 inches. Can I attribute that extra little bit to NAC? Hmmm... I don't know.

smores

Ok. I'm going to order some NAC today. Going back and forth between two brands. Any thoughts on either?

Jarrow Formulas Nac Sustain 600mg (per tablet)

Other Ingredients: carbomer, cellulose, calcium phosphate, beet root powder, stearic acid, (vegetable source) magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, and aqueous based coating.
NO: wheat, gluten, soybeans, dairy, egg, fish/shellfish, peanuts/nuts

Solgar, NAC, 600 mg (per tablet)
Vegetable Capsules
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose, vegetable magnesium stearate, silica
NO: wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, yeast, sugar, sodium, artificial sweeteners, flavor, preservatives, and color.