Caution with Hair Vitamins

KiniKakes

Proceeding with caution/doing ure research is always a wise idea (with anything in general), but i would definitely encourage you to invest in a good hair vitamin. In addition to that, you should also take a regular multi-vitamin for women (if you arent already).

When you decide to go for it, make sure to do a search on the board for different vitamins, and read about other members' sucesses and/or problems with them.

Thanks for posting that article for us! It was definitely an interesting and helpful read. :)

bablou00

Thanks for the information. When you take in vitamins your body will absorb the amount it needs then excrete what it doesnt take in thru your urine. Thats why your urine is always discolored. I take 10 vitamins a day. Not hair pills but they do contain biotin, pantothenic acid, vitamin b, zinc, and folic acid (all the good stuff for hair). Most of the time your are not getting the proper nutrients thru your daily intake of food so it is good to get them thru vitamins.

InnerSoul

Blossssom said:
With a regular diet and a multi-vitamin designed for women, you shouldn't need anything else.

I agree with this!! Too much of a good thing can be bad...or cause negative side effects.

gymfreak336

Remember that with any vitamin regime, you should run it by your doctor first. Also remember that there is a difference between what you need to stay alive without sereve vitamin deficency (RDI'S) and the tolerable upper intakes of vitamin. Some people are ultra sensitive to some forms of vitamins so you should always start off slow and monitor how your body feels. Any signs of discomfort or otherwise should let you know that you should stop taking it. Also look at the form of the vitamin. Vitamin A gets put into supplements in one of two forms; Retinol Palmate or beta carotene. Beta carotene is water soluble and is the "plant" form of the vitamin. Retinol comes in things like milk and some meats and in high doses can cause hair loss and live issues. I know that I personally and really sensitive to this form in pills so all of the multis I look into only contain beta carotene.

Here are some helpful links that will give up info on benefits and limits to many different vitamins

http://www.willner.com/articles.aspx

http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/resources/food.for.thought/vitamins.minerals/faqs/vitamins.html

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/etc/medialib/efsa/science/nda/110.Par.0003.File.dat/upper_level_opinions_hi-part11.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_Reference_Intake

MommaMayhann

MOST vitamins are water soluble, meaning that they don't really buildup in the system over time. Excess amounts are excreted in the urine. These vitamins are more susceptible to deficiencies. The fat soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K. They follow the same path of absorption as fat and any condition effecting the absorption of fats would result in poor absorption of these vitamins as well. THey are usually stored in the liver.

Vitamin A is also known as Beta-Carotene. It's what turns carrots orange. It's not unheard of for people that eat carrots in excess to develop an orange tinge to their skin...

It's a shame that more research hasn't been done on the benefits of more vitamins and minerals... I mean the way they do research for all of the other drugs... Goes to show you there isn't enough $$ to made on readily available holistic treatments and cures... Ok. I'm stepping off of my soap box...

MJ

Did she tell you how much she was taking and how long she was taking it? Were you talking to her about using vitamins to improve your hair/life?

Personally, I noticed that whenever I start talking about how I use natural stuff to improve my life people start telling me to be careful taking supplements even though I said it was improving my life...

It's actually pretty well know that vitamin A is one of those supplements you should take only the very minimum of and not for long in supplemental form. The body reacts much differently to the synthetic vitamin A than the form found in carrots and other foods. Had she done her research (hello, Google) she'd have learned that in a minute.

Don't let anyone's horror story scare you away from taking supplements. Do your research. Researching a supplement before taking it is the best way to go. That's it.

Last edited:

Crissi

MsBiz said:
I have been pondering over whether or not I should start taking hair vitamins because my co-worker said that she started taking Vitamin A supplements and it turned her urine red. So I have been doing some research on it and I read this article which definately makes me want to proceed with caution:
http://www.hairdialogue.com/Articles/tabid/111/Default.aspx

Just a question - what is in the world was this lady doing taking a vitamin A supplement? Vit A defficiencey is almost unheard of (atleast it is in thewestern world) Its fat solluable and too much of it is lethal. Whatever you do just make sure your not consuming too many multi vits with vit A in them, stick to the RDA, hth

Crissi

Blossssom

bablou00 said:
Thanks for the information. When you take in vitamins your body will absorb the amount it needs then excrete what it doesnt take in thru your urine. Thats why your urine is always discolored. I take 10 vitamins a day. Not hair pills but they do contain biotin, pantothenic acid, vitamin b, zinc, and folic acid (all the good stuff for hair). Most of the time your are not getting the proper nutrients thru your daily intake of food so it is good to get them thru vitamins.

This is not what my doctor told me. In fact, the people at the HEALTH FOOD STORE told me me that because vitamins such as Biotin are water-soluble and they can't harm me, it's not true, according to my doctor and my own experience.

Of course, everyone is different, but I had a "reaction" to the Biotin supplements and now I just stick to the regular multi-vitamin. Please don't listen to those people in the drug/healthfood stores. They just want your money and as the other poster said, contact your DOCTOR BEFORE BEGINNING ANY VITAMIN REGIMEN.

It's so important!

Blossssom

MommaMayhann said:
MOST vitamins are water soluble, meaning that they don't really buildup in the system over time. Excess amounts are excreted in the urine. These vitamins are more susceptible to deficiencies. The fat soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K. They follow the same path of absorption as fat and any condition effecting the absorption of fats would result in poor absorption of these vitamins as well. THey are usually stored in the liver.

And THIS here is a misconception.

No offense, Momma...

gymfreak336

I think what she was saying is that even though some vitamins are water soluable, you can still reach adquate amounts without supplementation. Even though some vitamins that are water soluble don't pose health risks with high amounts, there are still some water soluble vitamins that cause health risks with high doses.

sweetwhispers

there have been several documentaries on Vitamins in the UK/Scare stories,
i really don't think they are necessary. But thats just me.

Arcadian

Vitamin A is an important fat-soluble vitamin. Its basic molecule is a retinol, or vitamin A alcohol. In Western countries, 70% of dietary vitamin A is preformed as all trans-retinol. After absorption, retinol is transported via chylomicrons to the liver, where it is either stored as retinol ester or re-exported into the plasma in combination with retinol-binding protein for delivery to tissue sites.

Sources of vitamin A include external supplementation and synthesis within the body from plant carotenes. The best sources of preformed vitamin A are liver, milk, kidney, and fish oil. The carotene substrates necessary for the synthesis of vitamin A are mainly found in plants, principally carrots.

The bioavailability of retinol generally is more than 80%, whereas the bioavailability and bioconversion of carotenes are lower. These may be affected by species, molecular linkage, amount of carotene, nutrition status, genetic factors, and other interactions. While in general the body absorbs retinoids and vitamin A very efficiently, it lacks the mechanisms to destroy excessive loads. Thus, the chances for toxicity exist unless intake is regulated carefully. Revision of earlier estimates of daily human requirements of vitamin A has been suggested; the suggestion is that estimates ought to be revised downwards. Concern exists about the teratogenicity of vitamin A.
Pathophysiology

The recommended daily allowance for vitamin A is 5000 international units (IU) for adults and 8000 IU for pregnant or lactating women. Being fat-soluble, vitamin A is stored to a variable degree in the body, making it more likely to cause toxicity when taken in excess amounts. In contrast, water-soluble vitamins generally are excreted in the urine and stored only to a limited extent; hence, adverse effects only occur when extremely large amounts are taken.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2382.htm

-A

ETA: Most pure vitamins have little to know serious toxicity. Iron is one that does and has deaths linked to it.

But err on the side of caution, its usually best to limit most fat soluable vitamins within their RDA.

Last edited:

Blossssom

MommaMayhann said:
None taken... But what part is a misconception? Help a sista out before I start runnin around here orange:D!

That they don't build up in your system and cause a reaction. When you have a reaction (I had one), you're basically "OD'ing" on the vitamin/supplement.

Talk to your doctor. That was suggested. Just like you would talk to your doctor before you begin an exercise regimen.

Blossssom

gymfreak336 said:
I think what she was saying is that even though some vitamins are water soluable, you can still reach adquate amounts without supplementation. Even though some vitamins that are water soluble don't pose health risks with high amounts, there are still some water soluble vitamins that cause health risks with high doses.

Right! Biotin is one of them... that's the one I was "OD'ing" on. Talk to a doctor. These people in the healthfood stores don't have all the information. They are not doctors.

I also pay really close attention to my body and a lot of people do not. They may be "OD'ing and not even know it. Down the line, if they continue to "OD", they could develop serious health problems in years to come.

I didn't know that too much Vitamin E (ingested) could cause liver damage. Did you know that?

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Blossssom said:
Right! Biotin is one of them... that's the one I was "OD'ing" on. Talk to a doctor. These people in the healthfood stores don't have all the information. They are not doctors.

I also pay really close attention to my body and a lot of people do not. They may be "OD'ing and not even know it. Down the line, if they continue to "OD", they could develop serious health problems in years to come.

I didn't know that too much Vitamin E (ingested) could cause liver damage. Did you know that?

Yep, especially since many companies use the cheap alpha and beta formations of it.

MsBiz

MJ said:
Did she tell you how much she was taking and how long she was taking it? Were you talking to her about using vitamins to improve your hair/life?

Personally, I noticed that whenever I start talking about how I use natural stuff to improve my life people start telling me to be careful taking supplements even though I said it was improving my life...

It's actually pretty well know that vitamin A is one of those supplements you should take only the very minimum of and not for long in supplemental form. The body reacts much differently to the synthetic vitamin A than the form found in carrots and other foods. Had she done her research (hello, Google) she'd have learned that in a minute.

Don't let anyone's horror story scare you away from taking supplements. Do your research. Researching a supplement before taking it is the best way to go. That's it.

I was talking to her about taking hair vitamins. She said that she took the Vitamin A to clear up some skin problems. I probably will talk to my doctor about it. Knowing him he will tell me that I don't need it. I probably need to vist a woman doctor.

bajanplums1

I would not reccomend taken high doses of Vit. A alone like your co-worker did. It is a fat soluble and potentially toxic vitamin. Is Vit. A even good for hair growth??? I don't know many people who take large amounts of A.

Ideally, a hair vitamin will be balanced.

You can take unlimited quantities of water soluble vitamins because they will pass in your urine.

Ntrlmystik

Rule of thumb with vitamins is to remember this : ADEK...those are the ones that you should not overconsume... For the most part if you get too much of other vitamins, you body will flush out what it doesn't need or use...but too much of A, D, E, or K will have adverse effects on your system.

Last edited: