MSM Powder or Collagen Tablets

MzOptimistic

So, I haven't taken vits in a couple of years and started back last week. I'm currently taking Viviscal and Biotin. I'm going to add Bamboo Silica, MSM Powder and Collagen Tablets. My question is should I take both MSM and Collagen tablets? Which one is better? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I like collagen.

MSM was nice (It also helped with my joint issues from after a car accident. I took the pure powder in water), but after a while it started to mess with my cycles.

I got off of it.

Tonto

MSM made me break out like crazy, even though I was drinking a lot of water! I ground the pills and put it in one of my applicator bottle with olive oil. Maybe topical application will do something to my scalp lol

MzOptimistic

Thanks ladies. I've actually used MSM powder before and honestly I don't like the taste :perplexed I guess I'll buy both but add the Collagen to my vit regimen and see how it works for me.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
MSM was in a multi vit I was taking 2 months ago. Stopped that mess after a month. The acne at my age 40 was unseemly! I'm still getting breakouts here and there but it's finally going away.

I say dont even waste your money with MSM unless you're going to try it as a direct application to your scalp via melting it in oils or whatever. Some people claim growth that way as well.

starfish79

I've used MSM in the past and had headaches and vivid dreams. When the bottle ran out I didn't get more.

Now I'm taking a supplement that has MSM and another that's silica mostly for my joints but I wouldn't mind a growth spurt!

Phoenix14

I used MSM a few years ago and my skin was awesome. No breakouts, no cycle discrepancies. I just hated the taste so much that I stopped, but I was able to take it for about 2+ years without adverse reactions. The taste is horrific though

sydaree

I use MSM powder in my protein shakes and no longer have to worry about taste. I also take the Silica 6x.

To be honest I have not noticed a difference because my diet is clean (9 cups of veggies a day), I drink 100oz of water daily and I exercise 5x a week so I have not noticed any difference after using these products but I continue just in case.

Last edited:

Aggie

I take both as well and I get compliments on the clarity and beauty of my skin daily. I'm convinced they work well together with vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid. I really take them more for my skin than my hair. I'm 45 years old.

My hair is growing well but I have to admit, I am not retaining. I have been neglecting and treating my hair soooo, sooooo badly in the last 18 months, it's crazy. I'm surprised I have any hair at all. I will correct that moving forward though.

Ari8

I'm curious about collagen. Is there a powder or are pills more effective?

MSM (powder) made my new growth superhuman-soft (it felt weirdly coated but very, very soft). I know it was the MSM and nothing else because my diet was horrible at the time. EDIT: IIRC, keratin, what hair is made of, consists of sulfur, which is all MSM is - pure sulfur. I don't think it would hurt to try it.

soonergirl

I take neocell collagen powder with hyaluronic acid and vitamin C.. They have pills too, you take 6 a day. The powder is easier for me.

JaneBond007

For my joints, going to take both. MSM tastes awful. You should just mix it with orange juice for both the vit. C and taste. C helps the sulphur and msm helps the collagen. My cabinet looks like a pharmacy. As for hair growth, MSM made it grow faster too. I wanted to take biotin but am scared about the acne.

Lita

I take 1 collagen a day & 3-4,000 mg MSM powder..Like how it has my skin looking & it helps with my shedding issues,from inside/out.

Happy Hair Growing!

ail221

I take Msm, Neo Cell Super collagen and Bamboo Extract. They work well together, well at least for me. Msm helps with limiting shedding, extending my growth phase and there is a major difference between me not taking them for a week vs. daily use with my joints. The Neo Cell Super collagen + Vitamin C definitely improved my skin. Initially I had a minor breakout but then it was all up hill from there. The Collagen also made my hair thicker :/ which was more of a curse rather than a blessing for someone with thick and dense hair from the beginning.

MzOptimistic

I'm curious about collagen. Is there a powder or are pills more effective?

MSM (powder) made my new growth superhuman-soft (it felt weirdly coated but very, very soft). I know it was the MSM and nothing else because my diet was horrible at the time. EDIT: IIRC, keratin, what hair is made of, consists of sulfur, which is all MSM is - pure sulfur. I don't think it would hurt to try it.

@Ari8 I'm taking NeoCell Collagen. Based on the reviews on Amazon and a member here, this is a great brand. I'm happy with the results thus far. I'm going to add MSM powder but I'm hoping I can find a purity that comes in pill form because I will not be consistent if I have to put the powder in liquid.

MzOptimistic

For my joints, going to take both. MSM tastes awful. You should just mix it with orange juice for both the vit. C and taste. C helps the sulphur and msm helps the collagen. My cabinet looks like a pharmacy. As for hair growth, MSM made it grow faster too. I wanted to take biotin but am scared about the acne.

JaneBond007. I'm currently taking:

6 Neo Cell Collagen- 3 in the am and 3 in the pm
2 Hyaluronic Acid- 1 in the am and 1 in the pm
1 Biotin-7500 mcgs

I'm going to add MSM and flaxseed. I normally would be prone to breaking out but I have not had a break out yet. My skin has a glow and looks smooth.

Ari8

@Ari8 I'm taking NeoCell Collagen. Based on the reviews on Amazon and a member here, this is a great brand. I'm happy with the results thus far. I'm going to add MSM powder but I'm hoping I can find a purity that comes in pill form because I will not be consistent if I have to put the powder in liquid.

tsmith
You're making me curious now. Are you seeing more growth? More softness? I looked up the brand and, well, you have to take 6 pills a day for a whopping 6 grams of protein.:perplexed Unfortunately, I'd get sick of that pretty quickly.

MzOptimistic

Ari8 I take 3 in the am and 3 in the pm. I permed my hair Nov 9th and I actually left the perm in too long so my hair got bone straight. Well, within 2 weeks, I had a nice amount of ng within those 2 weeks. I will tag you in Feb and show my progress. I am taking other pills in combination with those pills though.

JaneBond007

Think I'm going on Viviscal to push this short hair to the max before the summer. I have collagen pills and those things are for horses! 5 are one dose? SMH. Collagen powder is not convenient. Maybe the marine protein.

MzOptimistic

Think I'm going on Viviscal to push this short hair to the max before the summer. I have collagen pills and those things are for horses! 5 are one dose? SMH. Collagen powder is not convenient. Maybe the marine protein.

JaneBond007. Viviscal works for me. I've been using them since I started growing my hair. I reached MBL a couple of years taking vits and proper care of my hair but due to going to get a blow out my hair was severely damaged and now I'm on a mission to grow my hair back to MBL and then to WL. If, you can afford Viviscal go for it:yep:

MzOptimistic

If your hair normally grows fast, will Viviscal greatly increase it?

JaneBond007. I would like to think so. I think my hair grows rather fast without vits but when I do take them my hair takes off. I can't wait to see my progress in Feb. I'll really know for sure being that I haven't really paid attention to my hair lately. I'm just starting to get back in tune growing my hair.

abcd09

I used MSM a few years ago and my skin was awesome. No breakouts, no cycle discrepancies. I just hated the taste so much that I stopped, but I was able to take it for about 2+ years without adverse reactions. The taste is horrific though

Phoenix14 2 years consistently? Did you notice if your hair was in a longer growth phase/did it get longer than it ever has been?

ChasingBliss

I just started taking collagen powder and was wondering if it went well with my msm. Ive been taking msm for 10 yrs or more. I think I will continue now. Customer service at the Vitamin Shoppe said it was ok. But I guess I needed to see it being stated here too.

How is everybody doing with these two suppliments?

JFK

I just started taking collagen powder and was wondering if it went well with my msm. Ive been taking msm for 10 yrs or more. I think I will continue now. Customer service at the Vitamin Shoppe said it was ok. But I guess I needed to see it being stated here too.

How is everybody doing with these two suppliments?

I'm taking Bamboo Silica pills, MSM, and liquid NeoCell Collagen daily. I've been taking them for almost a month now.

My hair was thinning at the crown and I noticed that it is filling in now. I have a natural TWA and don't have much to straighten so I can't say too much about the hair growth. But my hair id definitely thicker.

More than anything my skin is smooth and literally GLOWING. It looks like I have foundation on....I never wear foundation and played around with it a few weeks ago and after application I was like " This is a waste...my skin already looks like this!" :lol:

My cousin saw me last week and said that I actually look younger....I didn't tell her I was taking vits...she assumed it was because I was fasting.

BTW - I read that MSM assists in the production of Collagen due to its sulfur. That's why I make sure to take them together.