Hair Vitamins: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!

StarScream35

I'm creating this thread so people can come in here and share their experience with certain vitamins, minerals etc. So many ladies here take or want to take things for their hair it would be a good idea to share how things worked or didn't work for you.

Here's Mine:

MSM: Gave me serious gas that never subsided. No more for me. :ohwell:

Fatty Acids: No problems. Helped strengthen new growth. :drunk:

Biotin: I take a low dose and have been for over 15 years. No problems ever! Nails, Hair and Skin love this stuff! :grin:

Hairfinity: Didn't notice anything. No physical problems. Took it for a month but didn't notice anything spectacular with my hair. :perplexed

Almost forgot:

GNC's Women's Ultra Mega MultiVitamins: No problems at all! :yep:

Last edited:

deedoswell

Here is mine:
Omega 3's/Fatty Acids: No problems
B12 complex: No problems
Biotin: was taking for two years. think it helped me to get from SL to APL. Skin, nails, great. Just recently stopped because it keep me bloated. Looked 3 months pregnant! But I will start them again in about a month.
Multivitamin: been taking all my adult life
Maxi Hair by Country Living - took for a month, gas, bloating, but it did help my hair to become thicker and stronger. Don't know about growth, haven't done a length check since I started them.
MSM: just started.

jessicarabbit

Fish/flax/borage/primrose oil pills (all in 1): I like these, east to take, lots of benefits in one pill

GNC supergreen prenatal pills: these are good if you dont get all the greens you need during the day plus its a prenatal,

MSM: I take the powder form in my green smoothie everyday, I love me some sulfur

Flaxseed powder: Our bodies cant get enough of these Omegas. Great for hair skin and nails. I take this in my green smoothie also.

Honestly I cant say if these are doing anythning for my hair JUST YET, I havent had a length check and wont till June 30. But, when I was taking my prenatals, msm, biotin, vitamin c, consistently during my last 2 month stretch, My hair grew 3 inches. :) Consistency is key. After I finish with these green prenatals I want to try nioxin.

Ogoma

- MSM: Really helps with joint pain. I haven't noticed a change in my hair health or anything so I don't know about that.

- Biotin: I have tried two times and both times I broke out so much. I don't normally get acne, but this had me dealing with acne and now I am spending money to try to get out the dark spots. It is a no bueno for me.

-Evening Primrose/Borage oil/Silica/Horsetail/some others I cannot remember: took them for only about a month or so. I got tired of taking too many pills and never replaced them. I got them out of excitement and I think it was just overkill.

- Vitamins A/D/B Complex/B12/E gummy version: Overkill again as I am already getting all the alphabet vitamins in the multi below. It was a great excuse to take candy in the morning, but I stopped after 30 days (when they all ran out) as my SO was going crazy watching me take all of this.

- Multivitamins (currently Alive Maxi brand); I have been taking multis for years so I am not sure how my body will behave without it.

- Nioxin: took it for about 3 months. I did not notice any difference in hair health or how quickly my hair grows so I stopped taking it. I also wanted to avoid it since it seemed to have a lot of the vitamins I was getting in other pills.

- Viviscal: I have been taking it for about 5 months now. I have not noticed any change in my hair's growth rate, but I started growing new edges I didn't know I was missing. The plan is to stop once I run out at the end of August. I workout and eat relatively well so my hair should be fine.

- Raw Code Iron pills: I have iron-deficiency anemia brought on by heavy periods so I need these. Because of the iron in the multi, I only take them the week of and the week after my period and get the daily recommended dose from my multi.

all_1_length

Omega 3, 6, 9/Flaxseed Oil gave my hair a nice luster and made it feel softer, more manageable.

I get my biotin from my multivitamin (30mcg). I must have been really vitamin deficient because after about 2 weeks of taking vitamins my skin and nail cuticles look so much better.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Ogoma said:
- MSM: Really helps with joint pain. I haven't noticed a change in my hair health or anything so I don't know about that.

- Biotin: I have tried two times and both times I broke out so much. I don't normally get acne, but this had me dealing with acne and now I am spending money to try to get out the dark spots. It is a no bueno for me.

-Evening Primrose/Borage oil/Silica/Horsetail/some others I cannot remember: took them for only about a month or so. I got tired of taking too many pills and never replaced them. I got them out of excitement and I think it was just overkill.

- Vitamins A/D/B Complex/B12/E gummy version: Overkill again as I am already getting all the alphabet vitamins in the multi below. It was a great excuse to take candy in the morning, but I stopped after 30 days (when they all ran out) as my SO was going crazy watching me take all of this.

- Multivitamins (currently Alive Maxi brand); I have been taking multis for years so I am not sure how my body will behave without it.

- Nioxin: took it for about 3 months. I did not notice any difference in hair health or how quickly my hair grows so I stopped taking it. I also wanted to avoid it since it seemed to have a lot of the vitamins I was getting in other pills.

- Viviscal: I have been taking it for about 5 months now. I have not noticed any change in my hair's growth rate, but I started growing new edges I didn't know I was missing. The plan is to stop once I run out at the end of August. I workout and eat relatively well so my hair should be fine.

- Raw Code Iron pills: I have iron-deficiency anemia brought on by heavy periods so I need these. Because of the iron in the multi, I only take them the week of and the week after my period and get the daily recommended dose from my multi.

I am taking the RAW CODE multi and I think I will continue. It's pretty expensive but it's a whole food multi vitamin. I want to try the iron pills as well.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
GNC's Women's Ultra Mega MultiVitamins: Huge unswallowable horse pills :nono:

Biotin: Never an issue. Didn't notice anything amazing, but nothing Bad happened either, so will continue taking.

Garlic: After a month or so, definitely noticed decreased shedding. Stopped taking out of laziness, but will start again.

Nioxin Recharging Complex: Holy Grail Vit. It did Everything for me...I know it works magic. Pouring a lil out because they're discontinued...:cry:

Country Life Maxi Hair: Another Holy Grail Vit. It's giving me amazing growth, and I have to clip my nails a Lot. Very happy!

Spring Valley - Hair, Skin & Nails: Unswallowable horse pills. Sitting on a shelf, collecting dust.

Purvana Hair Skin & Nails: Didn't do a Bloody Thing for me. Not impressed At All.

Evening Primrose: Didn't notice any difference in my hair. Stopped taking it.

Mz.MoMo5235

Daily multi vit: I take different kinds depending on what's available when I go shopping. Right now I'm taking some gummy prenatal (dont know the brand) That I really like cause it tastes better than Flintstone gummies (which I took for years). These have everything I need except for iron.

Iron pills: Again, what ever brand is available to me. For the last year I've been taking a non-name brand that also has folic acid in it because I'm in another country. But when in the states I usually take that one main brand sold in Walmart.

That's all I take. I dont plan on taking any other pills either. If I dont get it from my food naturally (with a proper diet) than I dont need it.

Oh!!! I also get plenty of sun! I think a lot of people forget the goodness you get from the sun!