APL 2012 Challenge

kittenz

So I shouldn't leave it on for the whole recommended time? Can you add stuff (oils) to dyes like you can relaxers? I think the one I picked up was a Clairol and I think my hair takes color easily.

NikkiQ

So I shouldn't leave it on for the whole recommended time? Can you add stuff (oils) to dyes like you can relaxers? I think the one I picked up was a Clairol and I think my hair takes color easily.

Nope. I left mine in for 10min instead of the recommended 30 and my hair was bright red. Hallelujah I didn't leave it in the whole time. It might've turned bright orange or something. I've never mixed anything with the dye, but I have mixed up a good moisturizing DC to follow up the dye.

kittenz

Thank you for all your help NikkiQ I'll report back on how it goes.

Last question, how ofter do you DC? I'm going to have to get back on the ball ans DC regularly!

growbaby

^^^^There are 3 options- demi, semi and permament

Demi lasts 2-3 months
Semi last 6-8 weeks
Permanent lasts until you cut or dye your hair again

I bought a black demi (dont remember the brand) 1 yr ago. Dyed the bottom half of my hair black. It is definitely still black:perplexed

livinthevida

Just a quick FYI: i am only posting pics of my front scalp in 2 weeks 2/28/12 to see if there's any real difference in my thinning hair. I've tried so very hard not to look at my scalp every single day all day thinking how am I going to fix it? this was easier than I thought thanks to the rest of my hair and scalp feeling and looking so good with a solid hair care regimen
:cheers:

Better believe come March 31st, 2012! i'm posting length check pics with the rest of our group!!!

:circle:

Last edited:

bibs

I haven't checked in since the beginning of January! I guess I stink at challenges, plus I've had my hair in a weave since November. I just took it down last night and definitely noticed some growth. I'm gonna have dh stretch it and take a pic for me.

I missed my baby and now need to catch up in here and figure out how to deal with it again. I'm looking forward to the first official check in!

*Also, I'm not on the challengers list. Maybe because I haven't checked in in so long...sorry :(

Today was my first relaxer since joining, 8 weeks post. That's a stretch for me since I've never gone beyond 6 weeks before finding LHCF. I'm excited to unwrap it tomorrow morning and see my hair! I had about an inch of new growth

AyannaDivine

kittenz & NikkiQ, y'all ain't right....my jar of Manic Panic has been screaming my name for the past week and now here you ladies are talking about hair dye. Shame on the both of you :grin:

So as you all can tell I've been fighting the urge to dye my hair! I've been in cornrows for the past 2 weeks (covered up daily with a wig or bonnet) and surprisingly I haven't experienced any itching. Has anyone else noticed that JBCO stops their scalp from itching? Anywho, my plan is to take down my cornrows in the morning, pre-poo, dc and two strand twist tomorrow. Wish me luck and patients because I am NOT looking forward to it!

GIJane

AyannaDivine JBCO actually makes my scalp itch. But cold pressed castor oil from the drugstore works better for my scalp. But I get better results from the JBCO. So when I use JBCO and only put it on the ends as a sealer.

TruMe

Has anyone else noticed that JBCO stops their scalp from itching?

I'm with GIJane, I have actually been experiencing that my head itches a lot lately because I have been using Castor Oil on my scalp 3x a week. I don't know if JBCO would be better though. I also just think my scalp is extra sensitive. :ohwell:

NikkiQ

My bestie is dying to flat iron my hair for me. I told her that once I dye my hair again, I'll let her do it. Maybe for my length check. Just to get an idea of how much growth I've gotten so far this year.

LadyRaider

What is the DEAL with Keracare Conditioners?

I LOVE the Restorative Masque. I tried the Humecto today because it and the shampoo were on sale for 3 bucks at JCP last week.

It doesn't FEEL as softly coated as I get with other conditioners. They both give me an almost "squeaky clean" feeling... but not quite... I mean it doesn't feel stripped or anything.

Then when I dry it with a t-shirt I get these light fluffy curls. Other conditioners leave my hair softer, but more weighed down.

I think I like it... but it's just such a different result than I get with other topics.

I need to try the new KeraCare styling products and see what I get from them.

bibs

Thank you NikkiQ :)
LadyRaider, keracare was my go to line when I was relaxed. I've never had a shampoo leave my hair feeling so soft. My natural hair isn't feeling it though. I've yet to find a decent shampoo for my curls.

Seamonster

Update on the hair length goals. I think I will be able to pull a piece of hair to APL in March. Since I am in the hide your hair and the no heat challenges, all my length checks for the year will be on pulled hair. It will be interesting to see what my blow dried length is at the end of the year. HHJ

esi.adokowa

whoa i feel upset when this isn't on the first page.
i know it's the start of the weekend (and reading week!), but damn.

i'm going to be deep conditioning overnight with joico moisture recovery.

livinthevida

Anyone currently use/or previously use Henna to cover silver/grey hair?

Right in the front along my hair line I notice my silver/grey hairs are returning. Have not seen these for a while and will take this as a good sign of a healthy scalp!

I found this video on YouTube yet it is a 2-step process :ohwell: that goes from grey to reddish and then to natural color hair. Is there an easier way?

diadall

When I pull my hair it is way belowy shoulders. I really feel if I had a relaxer I would see APL but I cant get it that straight with my flatiron.

livinthevida

When I pull my hair it is way belowy shoulders. I really feel if I had a relaxer I would see APL but I cant get it that straight with my flatiron.
diadall what about using hair pins to check hair length?

I've been thinking when we do our measurements March 31, right after my shower I would add hair clips to the end of my hair for a little tension. This way I could get as close to seeing my true hair length without a relaxer or flat iron. I don't even own a flat iron so for me clips is the next best thing :lol:

The only challenge in doing this is that I will need to post 2 pics in March:
1. showing my hair w/out clips (to compare to last month)
2. hair with clips to compare to next month

Here are some examples of clips I picked up at Sally Beauty and Walmart:

Attachments

• hairclip1.jpeg
    hairclip1.jpeg
    1.4 KB · Views: 2
  • hairclip2.jpeg
    hairclip2.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 2

Evolving78

i wanna take these cornrows down. my head is itching! but i am going to just leave my hair be until next month. i am going to oil my scalp to see if that will help.

kittenz

So, I'm pre-pooing now with that AVJ mixture mentioned up-thread by mami2010 and will shampoo tonight. Tomorrow is D(ye)-Day. Picked up SSC Red Hot Rhythm dye, KCKT, HE Color Me Happy poo and Tresemme Nourishing Moisture con (i liked the bottle :look:) I'm planning to have all hair weekend!!

Night ladies!!

KaramelKutie803

Haven't updated in here in forever. Still in my kinky twists, it's bout time for them to come out. Thinking about giving my hair a break for about 2wks then going into a sew-in. Who knows, I'm missing my hair right now so I might wait a little longer for the sew-in. I'm also looking at buying some Kinky Curly Knot Today. Any of you ladies have 4a/4b hair and like it? Is it moisturizing on your hair?

TheNDofUO

Yesterday was my hair day.

I am officially an Ayurveda convert. And I straightened.

My hair was already Moisturised and sealed with Sunflower oil.
I whipped up a paste using some warm water, 1 Tbsp of henna (didn't want colour), 2 Tbsp of Amla and 3Tbsp of Neem. Added sunflower oil and Nunaat chocolate hair Masque whatever. Put the paste on dampish hair then covered with clingfilm and a scarf. 1 and a half hours later I was rinsing anf rinsing and rinsing. Then I DC'd with Hairveda Sitrinilla (thanks fairyhairy) waited like 15 mins (I was cold anf impatient) rinsed out and my hair felt thick! Then I moisturised sealed airdried. Then foamed (Vitale Foam) and protected (IC Fantasia Heat Protectant Serum) and straightened. My hair is thick. My mama asked me if I cut my hair because its thicker (but i guess also not longer pics coming soon)