APL 2012 Challenge

NikkiQ

I'm going to co-wash, DC and play in my curlies until I have to put it all back in my bun for next week. I'll be 43 weeks post this weekend!

ETA: Maybe I'll straighten it for my birthday next Wednesday....hmmmm :look: I need lenght shots anyway.....:rolleyes:

43 weeks??? That's great!! How long do you plan on transitioning for??

I have my hair in twists as usual. But whatever I put on my twists last wash day has my hair as straight as when I straighten it :nono: So I am in the process of trying to wet it enough to get it to curl up without causing it to tangle. Have a party Saturday night and want to wear a twist out. Curl baby, curl :yep:

Then Sunday is wash day for me.

Yes...pics are a MUST with this curl baby,curl twist out young lady.:yep:

faithVA

I'm not promising pictures from this weekend. My camera is broken. But if someone in my party crew takes a good picture and post it on facebook I will post it.

I need to buy a good camera next time because my pics from the last camera came out sad.

AryaStarr258

:bump:

What is everyone doing this weekend with their hair? It's getting colder so I'm getting a bit braver when it comes to POSSIBLY wearing my hair out soon. That's a big maybe though.

I haven't quite decided yet. I REALLY want to wash and DC, because I love doing that, but I just did that Tuesday and I don't want to over-wash/condition my hair. Maybe I'll try and find a new style besides a bun? Or maybe I'll just try out some new products? I dunno...

kittenz

I'm not sure but it'll be over soon :yep: I was considering doing it b4 my birthday, but that got pushed back, then I considered waiting the full 12 months (52 weeks), but I think it'll be before then. I kinda think I'll cut on Black Friday, it's a new moon that night and I sail for the Bahamas that Sunday. Thinking of a curly twa for my vacay. :yep::grin:

Charla

What is everyone doing this weekend with their hair? It's getting colder so I'm getting a bit braver when it comes to POSSIBLY wearing my hair out soon. That's a big maybe though.

I think I'm going to wear a puff Sunday. I bought some old school Prell to try to speed up the fading of this semi permanent midnight black in my hair that's been there since MAY! 28 washes and gone --- please! Now I know that even if it's semi-permanent color, the 28 wash rules don't apply to black, ugh!:nono:

So I'll be experimenting with that and DC and of course playing with my new Hercules Sagemann combs!

Poutchi

Hey Y'all :)
sidenote: ( I always wonder if my greetings are not a bit out there becuz i am french ...well after 3 others african languages...and still learning this wonderful language of english...)
So i am driving tonight to go see my sister for the week end ( yay)...7 hrs drive...And I plan to straigthen my hair tomorrow for the Muslim Aid Celebration we will be having on Sunday... It is going to be my first flat iron...since I big chopped that is.
So Any tips would be welcomed as to how to protect my curls and not to damage them would be greatly appreciated. I will make sure I log on tomorrow before I start the process ...Thanks!!!

NikkiQ

I haven't quite decided yet. I REALLY want to wash and DC, because I love doing that, but I just did that Tuesday and I don't want to over-wash/condition my hair. Maybe I'll try and find a new style besides a bun? Or maybe I'll just try out some new products? I dunno...

How about cowash and maybe a cute twist/braid out?

I'm not sure but it'll be over soon :yep: I was considering doing it b4 my birthday, but that got pushed back, then I considered waiting the full 12 months (52 weeks), but I think it'll be before then. I kinda think I'll cut on Black Friday, it's a new moon that night and I sail for the Bahamas that Sunday. Thinking of a curly twa for my vacay. :yep::grin:

I wanted to go the full 12 months, but totally caved and BC'd at 10 months :look:

I think I'm going to wear a puff Sunday. I bought some old school Prell to try to speed up the fading of this semi permanent midnight black in my hair that's been there since MAY! 28 washes and gone --- please! Now I know that even if it's semi-permanent color, the 28 wash rules don't apply to black, ugh!:nono:

So I'll be experimenting with that and DC and of course playing with my new Hercules Sagemann combs!

What color do you have now? I bought another reddish color to help with these horrible roots I'm rockin right now :nono:

sidenote: ( I always wonder if my greetings are not a bit out there becuz i am french ...well after 3 others african languages...and still learning this wonderful language of english...)
So i am driving tonight to go see my sister for the week end ( yay)...7 hrs drive...And I plan to straigthen my hair tomorrow for the Muslim Aid Celebration we will be having on Sunday... It is going to be my first flat iron...since I big chopped that is.
So Any tips would be welcomed as to how to protect my curls and not to damage them would be greatly appreciated. I will make sure I log on tomorrow before I start the process ...Thanks!!!

"Hey Y'all" is totally fine with me. I'm from the South so I hear it all the time lol. The best advice I have for you is to do a LONG moisturizing DC prior to flat ironing, thorough detangling session, blow dry on a low heat with a heat protectant and then apply more heat protectant before using the flat iron. Hope that helps!! :yep:

Charla

And mine too. I didn't know what people were using and I refused to buy anything.

Going to try it on my SL picture tonight. :yep: Thanks NikkiQ

I refused to buy anything either. I made this length check shirt back in Sept. The numbers represent how many inches my hair is from the top of my ears down. So I need to reach 18.5" to be MBL. My APL will fall approx. between the 12.5 and 13.5 line. I'm going to measure my hair with it for the first time in December when I flat iron.

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 31

Charla

I likey! You're channeling my home state Texas!:cowgirl:

Here's a thread I started about flat ironing help. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=571657

And here's a few more links to some helpful info. This video and this video go together. And this thread by westNDNbeauty.

kittenz

It's sooo hard... The first 8 months flew by no incidents no urges then I get to 9 months and started drooling at the thought of scissors. All those blasted YT BC videos!! It's like self deprivation not to chop it now but I will wait (only because I've already missed the new moon month :lachen:)

@ nikkiQ are your BC pics posted anywhere?

Charla

What color do you have now? I bought another reddish color to help with these horrible roots I'm rockin right now :nono:

The only color I have in now is the midnight black by Natural Instincts. And it's actually only on the top half of my head. I did it to blend in better with some wigs I bought. But now it's a total fail because my natural color has grown out, so the top 1/3 of my hair is my natural color (which is med-dark brown with hints of red), middle 1/3 is a washed out midnight black, ugh! and the bottom 1/3 is my natural color. And this midnight black is holding on for dear life! TACKY! And I'm still wearing my puff!
:lachen:

But really with the puff, the color difference isn't nearly as drastic as when I first put that color in.

NikkiQ

It's sooo hard... The first 8 months flew by no incidents no urges then I get to 9 months and started drooling at the thought of scissors. All those blasted YT BC videos!! It's like self deprivation not to chop it now but I will wait (only because I've already missed the new moon month :lachen:)

@ nikkiQ are your BC pics posted anywhere?

kittenz I started a thread with pics. here's the link

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=529583

bibs

I'll probably Cowash and moisturize then braid it up until wash day (Tuesday). I want to put in mini twists but don't think i'll find enough time.

Sent from my Droid Incredible II

Aggie

Not sure yet but my hair sure needs both a good protein and a moisturizing conditioning treatment, so I will most likely be giving myself these treatments. I know for sure I will not be wearing my hair out for the holidays. Wigs are going to be my hair's best friend:yep:. I'm gonna be ps'ing my hair for a looooooooong while.

NikkiQ

Another night is creeping by and I still haven't blown out my hair. I'm such a lazy butt :nono:

TriniJaNY

So APL will be the longest my hair will ever be and then when that happens you can't tell me nuttin. lol.
For the weekend I plan on washing my hair and putting it in two french braids or my normal twist out. I have no idea what else to do with it that doesn't cause too much manipulation.
Can anyone suggest a protein treatment for a fine hair natural?

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!

I'm going to steam my hair this weekend. I've been putting it off for a while now. I haven't steamed my hair since it started breaking off this past summer. I also need to rebraid my hair but I think I'm going to wait until the weekend before the holiday to rebraid.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Not sure yet but my hair sure needs both a good protein and a moisturizing conditioning treatment, so I will most likely be giving myself these treatments. I know for sure I will not be wearing my hair out for the holidays. Wigs are going to be my hair's best friend:yep:. I'm gonna be ps'ing my hair for a looooooooong while.

At the bolded this will be me as well. I'm serious about ending 2012 at BSL:yep:.

Rossy2010

Steaming my hair right now, I might to a rollerset so as I can do a length check. Then put it in braids. I will be PSing until my next length check in January.

skraprchik

My hair grew a lot better back when I was getting it wet at least twice a week. This week I started that up again, along with keeping it in a updo daily. I just got it wet and conditioned in the shower on Wednesday (not a co-wash). I'm still shampooing weekly and will be doing that today, along with a DC and putting it in fat twists to dry.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
I have had the sudden urge to wear my hair out of braids. I wanna try so many styles etc that I see on youtube.....BUT the manipulation. I really wanna make APL in 2012. Sigh

Missdelicious1

Thanks NikkiQ for creating this challenge! Here's my info:

Current hair length
SL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Texlaxed

APL goal month
Hoping to be APL by March

Current Reggie and styling choices
-Cleansing hair once or twice a week with HairOne, sulfate-free shampoo or diluted shampoo.
-DCing with every wash. Alternating between protein and moisture DCs.
-Rollersetting, airdrying, low heat (heat pass once a month or every other month)
-Major PSing....mostly buns and wigs
-Relax every 3 months at a minimum (I'm aiming for my first 4 month stretch currently)
-I just started using Megatek 2-3x a week.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
PSing is a major change for me because I love wearing my hair out, but it's taken so long for me to reach my goal of APL that I've decided to PS my way there. Also, I've never used growth aids before (and never wanted to), but I am now giving megatek a chance and seeing where it takes me.

Post a beginning picture
I'll post one in December

Last edited:

Evolving78

i'm sitting under the dryer now and i really don't have time for this. i need to be trying to get out of here for work really soon. guess i will be putting my makeup on in the car. im going to sit here for another 15 mins and that's it. please let my hair look nice today.

transitioning?

So APL will be the longest my hair will ever be and then when that happens you can't tell me nuttin. lol.
For the weekend I plan on washing my hair and putting it in two french braids or my normal twist out. I have no idea what else to do with it that doesn't cause too much manipulation.
Can anyone suggest a protein treatment for a fine hair natural?

TriniJaNY how do u get your french braids to look neat? My hair ends up looking like a fuzzy mound not a braid

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Charla

So I think for sure MSM is loosening my texture (and it seems to be softening it in some areas.) I'm not sure how I feel about this. I L-O-V-E my curls, but I also love the outstanding benefits of MSM for my whole body and face.

I guess a looser texture wouldn't be so bad, but it also seems I'm losing some of my clumping curls. I love how the curls clump together. But in the areas where the curl pattern is loosening, the clumping is also going away. :sad: Now in those areas, it's more like a wave effect with smallish ripples. I guess that's the best way to describe it.

Ugh, I don't know if I should stop taking the MSM. I really don't want to because of all the other benefits of it. But then again, I know your body uses MSM where it's needed, so maybe my texture was "supposed" to be a little looser anyway???? :perplexed This is very perplexing and more than a little upsetting, especially if ya'll ever seen any of my other posts where I describe my curls and how much I love them. Even my "perfect o's" are going away.:nono:

I LOOOVVVVEEEE my texture!!!

I've honestly thought to myself and verbally told my sister "I can't BELIEVE this is my hair!" And she said, "I know! Makes you wonder why we ever got relaxers in the first place!!"

I don't think I can specify exactly what "type" it is because I have spirals that will fit a sharpie marker and a pencil, some that are straight, some that are perfect o's, some that look like stretched springs...it's such a variety! And I LOVE it!

I think in sum, it's probably closer to what some consider 4a. It's fat and thick! And did I mention I LOVE IT?!!!

I don't know what else to say...I just LOVE it!

...just a rant...

dianalfis

This is my first post (hope I'm doing it right...lol). I've been a lurker but decided to join today. Yay me! :) I'm SL and hope to be APL next year so this is the challenge for me.

Current hair length - SL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd - Relaxed
APL goal month - end of June 2012
Current Reggie and styling choices - cowash once a week, shampoo once a week, deep condition 2x a week. M&S 2x a day. Relax no less than every 8 weeks. Airdry and pincurl.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Once my hair (pincurls) start to touch my shoulders consistently, I'll start wearing buns at least 30-50% of the time. More updos, too.

Post a beginning picture - I will post a beginning pic closer to Dec (and likely after my next relaxer).

Thanks!!!!