Y'all I'm balding!

*C00KIE*

Last month, we came from Haiti and brought back haitian castor oil and my mother decided to mix her oil with a sulfur grease. Her hair itched, like nobodies business, then came hair loss and lots of it. I didn't know, when she finally told me what was going on, I knew it was the haitian castor oil and sulfur grease. Once she stopped and only continued with castor oil, her hair issues went away. Mega-tek is helping with that area, now

ms.blue

ms-gg, my mom has a slightly thinning crown but it is due to her blood pressure meds (I believe but she is relaxed). My dad has male pattern baldness and brother has a receeding hairline.
yorkpatties, I had my hormone levels checked a couple of months ago b/c I felt I had thyroid issues and I'm excessively hairy and my results came back as normal.

Nonie

yorkpatties, and ms.blue you may find this website helpful: www.add-hair.com (I mention it in the thread where I shared my story but it's in later pages so you may not have seen it. Sorry if this post is redundant coz you already had the link.)

ms.blue

Nonie, do you think that GHE could possible cause excessive amount of sebum causing the follicles to get clogged up. I have been doing the GHE everyday two months now and maybe its causing too much sebum production?

Nonie

ms.blue, excuse the ignorance but what's GHE? (I don't pay attention to acronyms of products coz I have all I need and they never change.)

ms.blue

Nonie, GHE is the green house effect which is really a whole head baggy method but w/o the use of products. The main purpose is to produce sebum to lubricate the hair causing inrease hair growth. I was doing it by itself at first but starting applying my sulfur mix. I think I made have overdone w/ the sulfur and ghe.

Nonie

LOL @ GHE = green house effect = baggying bare--a method I have done religiously since 2001 :rofl: You young uns witcho fancy names!

I don't know if it'd cause problems like that because I've done it for years and even did it when I was treating my bald patch, only that time I had that concoction applied. But then again, I do not have an overly oily scalp, so perhaps it could be a problem if you have an oily scalp. But people use so many products on their hair, that IMO, your own sebum on bare hair would not be a problem.

How often do you wash your hair? Perhaps you have overactive sebaceous glands and if that's a case, perhaps you don't need to baggy or perhaps you just need to wash your hair more frequently.

Nonie

@Nonie, I wash my hair every two weeks.

I dunno, but I'd go nuts if I waited that long to wash. If my not-so-active sebaceous glands are happiest with two shampoo washes a week, meaning one in the weekend and one mid-week with very good massaging of the scalp, then if you have overactive glands (I'm guessing you do) then I can see how you can have problems from washnig so infrequently while encouraging sebum production daily.

Don't forget, you're not just having sebum production, but sweat (toxin removal) and then you go out and dirt mixes in...then you baggy that again and again and again for two weeks. :nono: Sounds like a recipe for problems.

Tiye

I didn't see this mentioned above but camera flashes make everyone look like they're balding coz the camera eye tends to pick up on scalp instead of hair. I know people with alopecia you can see the empty follicles or the closed over follicles - i don't see that in you r pic. Not making light of the situation if you are losing hair - coz I know that is stressful. On the bright side, if you are it's very early stage and I'm sure you can find something that will help. The sooner you catch hair loss the better your chances are of turning it around. And vis a vis product use, less is more. i tell anyone who's losing hair to get very simple with their hair care routine and I've seen it work.

Seamonster

:bighug: :bighug: My cousin actually had a similar area in her head and she used pine tar & black castor oil (see attachment). After daily use for a couple of months, she made a full recovery. She found it at her local BSS.

The ladies have given some great advice as well! I'm sure it will all work out!

MsBlue I lost my hair a few times, had the bald man's itch. The itching is a result of dying follicles, changing scalp, and the resulting change in scalp flora. I have a section of my you tube channel dedicated to discussing alopecia and hair regrowth techniques. My hair has grown back in, I take the anti DHT supplements, use an onion hair mask, make an oil with the eo's nonie mentioned, and I use Bonnor Brothers Pine tar Oil.

The bald man's itch goes away after one of two things happens, your scalp follicles die and there is no longer any hair growth in the area, or your hair follicles are replaced and you grow hair. Some products tend to stimulate follicle growth, so could cause a flora imbalance affecting a bald man's itch. The goal would be to rebalance your scalp flora with healthy follicles. You can go to my you tube and watch my videos on the bald man's itch.

ms.blue

Tiye, I get what your saying about less is more but last month, I decided I wanted to grow a minimum of 3 inches by my bday in March (why 3", I don't eally have clue but I'm set on that and began bing over zealos w/ the growth aides.

Nonie, I never thought I had a lot of sebum production. I always thought I had dry scalp but I am going to start washing my hair more.

Nonie

@Tiye, I get what your saying about less is more but last month, I decided I wanted to grow a minimum of 3 inches by my bday in March (why 3", I don't eally have clue but I'm set on that and began bing over zealos w/ the growth aides.

@Nonie, I never thought I had a lot of sebum production. I always thought I had dry scalp but I am going to start washing my hair more.

I do think a clean scalp is a healthy scalp. I know this doesn't work for everyone but the itching would encourage me to massage, and I find the best massages are when I'm shampooing my hair. That leaves a nice clean scalp with a clear pathway for sebum production. So even if it isn't too much sebum, I do think that I'd consider changing my regimen just in case old sebum sitting on my scalp might be causing me problems.

I don't know what your diet is like but our pores are also ways we get rid of toxins so you have waste sitting on your scalp and marinating with every baggying, so who knows what that could be doing to you.

So ms.blue do not use any product on your hair? In other words, is your hair completely bare?

ms.blue

Nonie, I used moisturize heavily when I cornrow my hair but once a week,I'll moistuized lightly. The sulfur mix was applied to my scalp only.

Misseyl

I have been noticing for awhile now that my right side was getting thinner when i would ash my hair. Even w/ pics I would see the right side was not as full so I decided after I wash and condition my hair I would take a pic of my crown and it confirmed what I thought was happening...balding. Right now I'm actually upset b/c I'm not sure why this is happening (I do scratch that spot a lot). Do you ladies think it could be something serious?

Sorry for the huge pic

If you are relaxed and especially if you do it yourself, do you apply the relaxer on the right side first at every touchup? If so, there's your problem. You need to start at a different section each time you relax. I was experiencing that myself with my left side and the back center.

ms.blue

Misseyl, I'm natural.

I came w/ a reason why this happening
-poor diet
-not drinking enough water
-not washing my hair enough

I'm going to change everything, my diet, water intake and increase washing. Again thank you to everyone who posted in this thread.

Avaya

@I'm going to have start washing my hair every week now, instead of the two weeks I have been doing for a year now. At first washing every two weeks seem to work for me in terms of less manipulation and my scalp seem okay w/ it but it seems now it is causing me excessive itching.

ms.blue

Have you been eating a lot of sugar lately? When my sugar intake is low to nonexistent I can go weeks without washing my scalp. When I am eating a lot of sugar, my scalp is an itchy, scaby mess that needs to be washed like every three days. Try limiting (or totally eliminating) your sugar intake and see if that helps your scalp situation.

ms.blue

Avaya, I have been craving sugar for like weeks now. I'm going to try to change my diet since its really unhealthy anyways. I knew diet can effect the hair but I didn't realize how much it could it effect it, if that makes sense. I really need to research all this info I have been receiving from this thread.

yorkpatties

You can go to my you tube and watch my videos on the bald man's itch.

Seamonster I watched a few of your videos. Very interesting to learn that onion does indeed work for some. I am going to play around with my onion tincture (leftover from homemade potion experiments) and I'll see what I come up with.

Women more often that not tend to have issues around their temples/hairline if they have any issues at all, or so it seems from reading through the board with hairloss. If it gets real bad I'm just going to tell people I'm a monk.

Attachments

• Tonsure_fx_tr.jpg
    Tonsure_fx_tr.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 9

reeko43

I don't have anything to add, only that I hope that whatever you try will correct the problem. I understand how you feel as I have my own thinning hair issues due to hormonal condition. You have gotten some great advice. Hang in there, it will get better.

ms.blue

natural2008, I'm not on any meds. I just take the gnc ultra mega women vits which I started using (about a month now), iron tabs, and garlic tabs. My scalp is still itching but I'm about to wash my hair. I did notice my shedding has lessen which its a benefit but I have some scalp pain.

yorkpatties

My neutrogena t-sal had helped a lot with my itching. I don't have any dandruff but I am still loving this shampoo. ms.blue have you tried any topical solutions yet?

Kalia1

@ms.blue-I believe you are on the right track by understanding that our diet does correlate with our hair growth.

I too suffer from alopecia and have seen great improvement with weight loss and curtailing my sugar intake.
Sugar increases testosterone which can lead to male type patterned baldness in women.

Also exercise is a great way to get the blood circulating to help stimulate growth.

yorkpatties

Kalia1

It sounds like you're describing PCOS, in which symptoms can be treated with weightloss, nutrition and exercise. Many women who may not be diagnosed with PCOS may still have symptoms (including hairloss). So many foods (and alcohol) can affect our hormones.

Kalia1

@Kalia1

It sounds like you're describing PCOS, in which symptoms can be treated with weightloss, nutrition and exercise. Many women who may not be diagnosed with PCOS may still have symptoms (including hairloss). So many foods (and alcohol) can affect our hormones.

yorkpatties-Yes I do suffer from PCOS. However I have reversed many of it's symptoms by what I mentioned above.

JeterCrazed

Last month, we came from Haiti and brought back haitian castor oil and my mother decided to mix her oil with a sulfur grease. Her hair itched, like nobodies business, then came hair loss and lots of it. I didn't know, when she finally told me what was going on, I knew it was the haitian castor oil and sulfur grease. Once she stopped and only continued with castor oil, her hair issues went away. Mega-tek is helping with that area, now

Would she be allergic to onions, do you know?

Sent from my HTC Inspire™