Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

Kiki0130

I just wanted to add that I started oil rinsing and it does make a huge difference. I simply rinse my hair in the shower, add some oil and let it sit will i wash my body. After that I put some conditioner on top and rinse it all out. I can actually leave my hair free instead of washing in braids. I just bought a tangle teezer to help with detangling this combined with the oil rinses are making a huge impact on my hair.

Hmmm... My method always involves shampooing. DS's head is itchy
right now so I'm gonna try it this once he's done some more home-
work.

Kiki0130

Ok, so while DS was trying to do his homework I accosted his hair with some
olive oil and let him hang out with that for about 1 hour.

In the sink, I rinsed his hair with very warm water then applied Tresemme
Moisture Rich with yet more olive oil.

Detangled his afro.

Rinsed everything out and dried his hair to damp with a tee shirt.

Applied S-Curl No Drip, a little olive oil and Braid Spray and he picked
it all out.

It's been 1.5 hours and his hair is feeling as great as it always feels
after oil rinsing.

virtuenow

I've tried it about five different ways, including the oil rinse (castor oil) by itself, or before a co-wash, and after the cowash. I love it all ways--and will tell as many people about the oil rinses as I can!

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I like doing my oil rinses as the last step. I just fear blocking out the moisture if i do it before a deep condition. I'll usually add oil to my dc or do it after a dc. I don't use a lot of oil so it's easy to rinse.

JollyGal

Hi Ladies,

Thanks OP for the thread!!!!

I'm so happy to read about the great results you are all having with Oil rinses.
I'm wondering how I can fit it into my reggie. I only use natural products on my hair apart my conditioner (detangler) which is Aussie Moist. I want to eventually stop using aussie moist.

Is it possible to use the oil rinsing method without conditioner?
Or, has anyone tried this method with homemade conditioner/ 100% natural conditioner?

Thanks in advance

Kiki0130

I like doing my oil rinses as the last step. I just fear blocking out the moisture if i do it before a deep condition. I'll usually add oil to my dc or do it after a dc. I don't use a lot of oil so it's easy to rinse.

I think I know how you feel about this. I felt this way too. The
weird thing is that the process works really well the way Sareca
outlined in the first post.

The best thing is, as Virtuenow said ^^ is that you can do it 50-11
different ways and it just works.

Kiki0130

Hi Ladies,

I'm so happy to read about the great results you are all having with Oil rinses.
I'm wondering how I can fit it into my reggie. I only use natural products on my hair apart my conditioner (detangler) which is Aussie Moist. I want to eventually stop using aussie moist.

Or, has anyone tried this method with homemade conditioner/ 100% natural conditioner?

Thanks in advance

You got me thinking. I use the conditioner step to detangle so
I don't know if it can be done without a conditioner but using
a homemade 100% natural conditioner should work.

Conditioners add artificial oils (and other stuff depending on the
conditioner) that shampoo sucks out of the hair. If you don't use
shampoo, perhaps you won't need conditioner.

Maybe someone who knows more about the science of it all will
come in with a better answer.

ETA: Oil-rinsing, to me, is simply a hot oil treatment so I don't
see there being a problem. I've never tried detangling without
conditioner so if you try it, please report back. I'd love to know
how it works out for you.

Last edited:

lettieg27

Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance

Hi Sunhun I think the oil rinses would work without conditioner as well, I simply use the conditioner to get rid of it, lol, I use brands like Yes to Carrots, Giovanni, or SheaMoisture, they are natural with some preservatives. But you will notice after you let the oil sit on your hair in the shower that it is easy to move your hands through. I personally don't detangle in the shower cause I don't like to spend that much time in there. So I detangle as I apply my deep conditioner and my hair does not knot up on itself like it usually would.

Irresistible

Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance
Totally possible to use just oil

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...92036-yall-gonna-think-im-crazy-oil-wash.html

works great:yep:

MegB29203

I tried an oil rinse today and am OFFICIALLY on the oil rinse bandwagon!! I can't even describe how much more pleasant this detangling process was even though I'm almost 7 months post.

I'm gonna do this forever...i didn't even have to add anything to my hair afterwards. I shampoo'd, did an oil rinse with Herbal Essences conditioner then DC'd with cholesterol/shea butter and my hair felt sooooo good after I rinsed that out. I just sprayed a few splashes of leave-in, blow-dryed, and flat ironed. And my hair is soooo shiny and moisturized. I'm a believer! lol

virtuenow

I tried an oil rinse today and am OFFICIALLY on the oil rinse bandwagon!! I can't even describe how much more pleasant this detangling process was even though I'm almost 7 months post.

I'm gonna do this forever...i didn't even have to add anything to my hair afterwards. I shampoo'd, did an oil rinse with Herbal Essences conditioner then DC'd with cholesterol/shea butter and my hair felt sooooo good after I rinsed that out. I just sprayed a few splashes of leave-in, blow-dryed, and flat ironed. And my hair is soooo shiny and moisturized. I'm a believer! lol

U saiid u did an oil rinse w/ Herbal essence conditioner-- I guess thats a typo? I'm gonna do oil rinses (w/castor oil) forever too. Everytime I wet my hair! I need to stock up on oil now!

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

virtuenow

Hi Ladies,

Thanks in advance

Yes, several of us do oil rinses w/out using conditioner afterwards. I do oil rinses alone sometimes (no shampoo or conditioner). Just wet the hair first then add oil. I also call it oil cleansing or oil washing (like Irresistible). I'm exploring a shift to all natural products-- I don't like commercial shampoos or conditioners very much. The leave my hair hard n dry. Let us know how it works for u if u try it.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Lita and virtuenow and others that will be so kind as to chime in...my take: um, FAIL. I warm rinsed, heavily coated with evoo, let sit for ~5mins, warm rinsed, applied Aubrey Organics White Camellia, let sit for ~5mins, cool rinsed -- results: overly oily hair! When I rub my hair, my hands are super oily. I will say, the hair has a nice sheen and minimal breakage *knocks on woods*. My porosity wasn't an issue when air drying and my ends are not bushy. As for the oily hair -- Where did I go wrong? Did I not rinse the oil out good enough before using the condish?

virtuenow

Lita and virtuenow and others that will be so kind as to chime in...my take: um, FAIL. I warm rinsed, heavily coated with evoo, let sit for ~5mins, warm rinsed, applied Aubrey Organics White Camellia, let sit for ~5mins, cool rinsed -- results: overly oily hair! When I rub my hair, my hands are super oily. I will say, the hair has a nice sheen and minimal breakage *knocks on woods*. My porosity wasn't an issue when air drying and my ends are not bushy. As for the oily hair -- Where did I go wrong? Did I not rinse the oil out good enough before using the condish?

Hi, three things may hv went wrong here. 1) You should rinse w/hot water- hot as u can get. Warm is not hot enuff to slip the oil out. 2) You may have used too much oil- a litte bit goes a long way. 3) you probably didnt rinse enough oil out (that takes me bk too the hot water thing). You can actually feel the level of oil in ur hair as ur rinsing (once u get used)- just slide ur fiingers thru annd u can decide if it feels "clean" enuff.

For now, you can do another co wash or just seee if ur hair soaks some oil up. It gets better once get the hang of it!

sareca

@Lita and @virtuenow and others that will be so kind as to chime in...my take: um, FAIL. I warm rinsed, heavily coated with evoo, let sit for ~5mins, warm rinsed, applied Aubrey Organics White Camellia, let sit for ~5mins, cool rinsed -- results: overly oily hair! When I rub my hair, my hands are super oily. I will say, the hair has a nice sheen and minimal breakage *knocks on woods*. My porosity wasn't an issue when air drying and my ends are not bushy. As for the oily hair -- Where did I go wrong? Did I not rinse the oil out good enough before using the condish?

Hi, three things may hv went wrong here. 1) You should rinse w/hot water- hot as u can get. Warm is not hot enuff to slip the oil out. 2) You may have used too much oil- a litte bit goes a long way. 3) you probably didnt rinse enough oil out (that takes me bk too the hot water thing). You can actually feel the level of oil in ur hair as ur rinsing (once u get used)- just slide ur fiingers thru annd u can decide if it feels "clean" enuff.

For now, you can do another co wash or just seee if ur hair soaks some oil up. It gets better once get the hang of it!

I agree with virtuenow on the hot water. That's usually the culprit for me. You might also just need to sleep on it (no pun intended). ;) Sometimes my hair needs overnight to drink up the surplus oil.

eTA: make sure you wear a bonnet to keep the oil off your pillow (and face).

Last edited:

Lita

divachyk For my last rinse...I use hot water & the steam from the water helps with the oil too....Other wise your on track....Keep us posted.

*When I first started doing this..I used small amounts of oil/until I realize what amount worked & didn't work for me...So next time just use a little & adjust accordingly..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

divachyk

Lita: Yes, I used way too much oil. I will scale back next time.

sareca: I didn't use hot water because I was trying to preserve the hot water in the water heater but I'll use hot next time. I slept on it, still oily. I keep it bunned up anyway so no biggie. I will be shampooing Mon so having oily hair for a few days won't frustrate me too bad. Are you using any particular kind/type of shampoo to remove the oil buildup or must it be a clarifying and/or sulfate poo? Thx for the bonnet reminder; I always tie up at night as I suffer from acne too much to overlook this step.

virtuenow: When I applied the oil, my hair felt kind of grippy and was still feeling a little rough even after rinsing. It didn't soften up until I applied condish. Perhaps this all goes back to not using hot water. I'll try again after I get a TU to see if it goes well.

Do you ladies oil rinse on your short hair day...meaning, when you're doing a rinse out conditioner or do you sometimes DC after oil rinsing? I'm sure you've posted this already but....

Thx!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i tried this the other day when i washed out my press. i divided in 4 sections and oiled each one up with palmers moisturizing cocobutter body oil:lick: i let it sit for a few minutes and them applied Main n tail deep moisturizing conditioner :lick: and let that sit for a few minutes. then i rinse it out. it was very easy to comb my hair but then again i just washed out a press. the real test is in the following weeks. i dont plan on using heat for a while so i really hope this works.

also did i oil rinse correctly?:perplexed

virtuenow

I don't know how to use the mention button yet, but yes, I do oil rinse on short days. In fact, the oil rinse is the only step I do on some of my short days. Rinse w/water, apply oil, rinse w/hot water. I have DC both before and after oil rinsing.

Divachyk, you may also want to try a different oil. I use castor oil and always have soft results. I used jbco a few times too, same results. you're right, the more oil, the more "grippy" it feels. Once that feeling is gone, or loosened some, then you know the oil is slipping or rinsing out. It sounds like you never really rinsed the oil out

Napp, glad to hear it went well. I wouldn't say you did it incorrectly b/c I think there is no one "right" way to do it. But the original instructions are to wet the hair first; then do the oil, then rinse. Then put on your conditioner. You basically consolidated the process and slapped the conditioner right on top of the oil :). Its definitely different, but it worked for u (most importantly)

sareca

divachyk

I use my regular shampoo highly diluted. That's usually enough for my hair to feel clean. I also like VN's idea of using a different oil. I'd try a lighter oil (sesame, sunflower, jojoba) those might get better results for you. Just don't give up on it yet. If you can find the right combination it's magically. :)

divachyk

What's new with all the oil rinsers? I haven't tried it lately....but would love for the experts to chime in and give me motivation. :yep: @Lita, @virtuenow,sareca and all others not named that got this thing whipped like a pro.

virtuenow

What's new with all the oil rinsers? I haven't tried it lately....but would love for the experts to chime in and give me motivation. :yep: @Lita, @virtuenow,@sareca and all others not named that got this thing whipped like a pro.

divachyk Here's whats new: Deep condition on dry hair w/Aubrey Organics GPB. See Sareca's thread: "Dont sleep on deep conditioning dry hair with heat". Well I dont really do it on dry hair, I do a pre poo w/Chicoro's mix http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482, then apply the AOGPB, then plastic cap & towel. Then I co-wash it out-- it feels so great already. Then I do my fav- castor oil rinse. Bestest, and most moistest my hair has evah felt!

Lita

What's new with all the oil rinsers? I haven't tried it lately....but would love for the experts to chime in and give me motivation. :yep: @Lita, @virtuenow,sareca and all others not named that got this thing whipped like a pro.

divachyk Hi! Non-thing is too new..Incorporating my butters back into my routine..

*Oil rinsing-Wash hair with sulfate free poo,apply oil (Rice bran & Pumpkin seed oil),Rinse out with hot water,Run moisturizing Con thru,wash out.style as always...

Happy Hair Growing!

coyacoy

hi all....first time poster to this thread. i swear by using oil during shampoo/condish regimen. i don't necessarily add oil seperately i.e. after shampoo and before condish. instead i mix oil with my shampoo. i've recently started mixing my own shampoo using african black soap and oils such as JBCO, amla, almond or moringa, veg glycerin. it makes for a very moisturizing shampoo with a good lather. i find that this leaves my hair so very easy to detangle that it almost doesn't matter what condish i use (providing it doesn't contain protein). love it - having oil as a part of the shampoo/condish regimen wins!! :grin:

coyacoy

divachyk Hi! Non-thing is too new..Incorporating my butters back into my routine..

*Oil rinsing-Wash hair with sulfate free poo,apply oil (Rice bran & Pumpkin seed oil),Rinse out with hot water,Run moisturizing Con thru,wash out.style as always...

Happy Hair Growing!
Lita - your hair is GORG!!!! luv it.....also, never heard of rice bran and pumpkin seed oil - curious re: the 4-1-1 on those? thanks!

Lita

Lita - your hair is GORG!!!! luv it.....also, never heard of rice bran and pumpkin seed oil - curious re: the 4-1-1 on those? thanks!

coyacoy Thank you! Rice bran is a cermaide/that softens,detangles & seals in moisture with-out weighing your hair down....Pumpkin seed is a natural DHT blocker/helps to keep the scalp healthy,prevents shedding & makes your hair really soft.....

Happy Hair Growing!