JBCO: When and How Do You Use It?

Lady Esquire

I've been trying to use up my bottle of the clear castor oil before I replace it with the JBCO. How are you ladies using it? In your prepoos, hot oil treatments, mixed w/DCs, seal daily....?

diadall

I use it as a seal and sometimes I will use a bit to glide the sides of my hair when its in a bun. I used it as a prepoo once but I felt I had to use way too much shampoo in order to get the feeling of it out of my hair

hannan

I use it like regular castor oil. I'm actually doing the opposite and switching away from jbco since I see no difference.

I added a couple of caps to my dcs and put a bit on my edges. It's way too sticky and dense for my hair to seal with.

Lady Esquire

I put a tiny bit on my edges and rub it in.

That's how I'm using the clear castor oil, and that's why its taking forever to use up the bottle.

I use it as a seal and sometimes I will use a bit to glide the sides of my hair when its in a bun. I used it as a prepoo once but I felt I had to use way too much shampoo in order to get the feeling of it out of my hair

I was thinking that its so heavy, and that it would be hella sticky as a prepoo. Ladies have raved that it has helped to thicken hair. So I am curious how they've incorporated it, other than on the edges. I could see using it on ends too, if I'm bunning.

Lady Esquire

I use it like regular castor oil. I'm actually doing the opposite and switching away from jbco since I see no difference.

I added a couple of caps to my dcs and put a bit on my edges. It's way too sticky and dense for my hair to seal with.

The clear castor oil has been working fine for me too. I use very, very little of it. Sometimes I use a tiny bit to seal but literally its a tiny amount. A little of castor oil goes a long way. I am curious to compare it with the JBCO to see if I'll see added thickness.

ebaby

I use it in my megatek mix. I am transitioning back to natural and my new growth is crazy thick. I had to remind myself that I have a scalp.

BKfinest

When i first started using JBCO it made my scalp sooooooooo sore and I was going to stop using it because I thought my scalp was to sensitive, but after a week the soreness went away. I brought a applicator bottle and poured my CO into that its easier and less messy when applying. I grease my scalp with it now 3x a week ( it use to be 2x) and massage it in. I also apply it to my edges and nape every night and morning.

Lady Esquire

When i first started using JBCO it made my scalp sooooooooo sore and I was going to stop using it because I thought my scalp was to sensitive, but after a week the soreness went away. I brought a applicator bottle and poured my CO into that its easier and less messy when applying. I grease my scalp with it now 3x a week ( it use to be 2x) and massage it in. I also apply it to my edges and nape every night and morning.

That's exactly how I use it. I find it softens my NG. The applicator bottle is a good idea.

Kinchen, no, never had it itch. Whatchadoing with that oil over there? :lol:

NappiShawti

because it is so thick i mix my jbco w/ coconut oil in an applicator bottle. i oil my scalp with it & use on the length of my hair & ends. im 4b relaxd/texd by the way

Coffee

I am doing a challenge on another forum and I'm using it 3x per week. I also use 2 tsp in my conditioner. I prepoo with Pimento oil 1x per week. I've been on this challenge for about a month and have 1 more month to go. My hair has grown since starting this challenge :yep:.

lovelexi

I use it as a pre-poo mixed with my other oils. I'm relaxed and I find it to heavy to use in any other way.

AlliCat

I use it in 3 basic ways:
- a few drops for a nightly scalp massage
- seal ends at night
- add to my relaxer to reduce "strength"

KSand

I use if to make my edges lay down when I bun (which is everyday). I also put it in an applicator bottle and apply it to my hair everytime I DC. My poor edges heart JBCO.

Lady Esquire

I use it as a scalp rub, sometimes mixed with lavender oil. At times, I also mix it with megatek as a growth aid.

The lavendar oil and megatek mix sounds good. Have you noticed positive results?

I use it in 3 basic ways:
- a few drops for a nightly scalp massage
- seal ends at night
- add to my relaxer to reduce "strength"

Me too, but never as an additive to my relaxer. I've used jojoba, sweet almond and olive oils, as well as SAA and wheat protein....but never castor oil in my relaxers. Another good way to use this bottle up.

smwrigh3

Every Wednesday and Sunday I 'grease' my scalp with JBCO and seal after moisturizing and then baggy over night with it! I use to use it everyday but the shedding scared me so I am down to twice sometimes three times a week + baggy.

Oh yea I add it to my braid spray and DC as well.... cant you tell I love the stuff! :-D

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

b/c of the thickness & a tad bit concentrated (i use to itch like crazy w/ it) i just add it to my mega homeade scalp oil mix (which still changes often:)

i even mix it w/ dr. miracle scalp oil (despite the mineral oil.... my hair thrives off of this stuff), and jojoba oil

i'll get around to trying it with something else later maybe..... i think sunshyne (lista) has had some hair thickening from jbco... so i'm gonna try it again as an everything mix

that girl's hair is simply beautiful and come a long way baby!!! (sorry... flashback of virginia slim commercials:)

Carisa

I mix it with my coconut, olive, peppermint and rosemary oil with sulfur and put it on my scalp, massage it in then i apply it to my ends about 3-4 times a week

Last edited:

choctaw

castor oil seals in moisture on freshly washed hair
use it on edges
smooth it from root to tips for twists instead of gel
oil rinses
add to ayurvedic pastes
blend with other oils or aloe and use on skin

NOTE:
my hair is natural type 4
I use regular CO (homehealth, walgreen, walmart, laxmi, olde jamaica black castor oil) ... whatever is available in local stores.

Last edited:

SelfStyled

I use it straight up on my edges, every day at least once. I find that it really "lays" my edges. Plus lil baby hairs every where are growing. My edges have filled in so nicely with JBCO. On my edges i use JBCO+Emu- I thought the Emu would really help the JBCO penetrate.

For my hair I use it to seal, but because it is so thick, I cut it with two other oil. I have made a really nice oil blend in a small bottle, that combines JBCO + Sally's Argan Oil + Pure Argan oil.

IA with the others that I tend to not "grease" my hair with JBCO because it can make my scalp really sore. I saw an explanation for this on Sunshyne's Blog:

Tropic Isle Black Jamaican Castor Oil removes toxins from the body, and as you know your skin is the largest eliminator of waste…your scalp is no different. When toxins are being removed from your scalp with the Castor oil, one may have itchy scalp due to the acidic levels of the toxins that are being removed.

Why does this happen? Well, those who have permed hair or had permed hair in the past knows that the chemicals used to achieve “the look” are very strong and it is also absorbs into your scalp. Does this means that you should stop perming? No… it is a matter of choice. However, by adding Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil to your hair routine you are in effect detoxifying your scalp regularly to bring about the great results you have been receiving from using our product.

It is quite simple… we detoxify our bodies on a daily basis by eating fiber, green leafy vegetables and by drinking lots of water for your bodies to maintain its optimal health. Therefore by using Tropic Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil line of products you are doing the same thing for your scalp and hair.

Now if the itching is really a bother…we highly recommend you use the Strong Roots Red Pimento Hair Growth Oil instead of the Jamaican Black Castor Oil. This product will help to arrest the itchy scalp and still give you similar great results as our Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO). You may also add wheat germ oil to the Castor Oil instead.

It is for this reason we have created our Tropic Isle Hair Care System which includes the Jamaican black Castor oil, shampoo, protein conditioner, hair food and now Strong Roots Red Pimento Hair Growth Oil. All these lovely products have one thing in common…they all have the JBCO in their ingredients ensuring each step of the way our scalp is being detoxified and nourished for optimal scalp and hair health.

So ladies keep using our line… enjoy your hair care journey and please remember to visit us at
Jamaican Black Castor Oil Products by Tropic Isle Living where you will find information on our products and Tropic Isle Hair Care System.

You may also choose to visit sams247.com to purchase our products.

HTH

NaturalJai

yex i recently started using jbco and it makes my scalp itch really bad add that to the fact that is is really heavy and it makes me think I'll have a lot of buildup. but i'm going to continue to use it on my edges. that's my problem area.

ceecy29

Jbco makes me itch. It works great for my hair but makes my scalp itch like crazy. Does anyone else have that problem.

Oh finally, I'm not the only one. It makes my scalp itch too. Any kind of castor oil. Even the oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade that's castor oil based, makes my scalp itch (I try not to get it on my scalp but that's impossible). Unfortunately, I have to suffer as the Oyin is the only moisturizer that works for my hair for now. I can't go more than 5 days without washing.

To answer the question, I use it in my dc and on my edges mixed with peppermint oil, if they start to look sparse.

MizzBrown

Been using it every 2-3 days to oil my scalp while in braids.

I put some rosemary oil in mine. Nothing coats my scalp and softens NG as well as JBCO. WAY too thick to use on freshly relaxed hair but great for stretching, laying down edges and using when in braids.

Anyone know if JBCO expires? I have a lot of bottles stored up and I was concerned about it losing its potency.