A New Henna Thread

Khadija.D.Carryl

maybe everyone's on vacation or away, since it's the holiday weekend. A herbal hair regimen with henna and even with amla powder, really does help promote hair growth. Becuase you are protecting each and every hair strand, and making it stronger, healthier and shinier.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
I have some leftover henna that I put in the freezer. How is the best way to dethaw? Thanks!!

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Khadija, I see that you have relocated to Maryland...yeah!! Is your store here open for business? I am in need of indigo. Please PM the address. Thanks!!

Flor

I'm going to texlax in 2 weeks. How long before/after my touch up is it safe to use henna/indigo?

Platinum

Question, guys.

I'm due for another henna/indigo treatment but I'm also due for a touch up. Should I do the henna/indigo first or go on and do the touch up first? How long of a wait between the two would you advise?

Also, I'm ready to change relaxers because I did not like the way the last one (Dr. Miracle) left my hair feeling. Too Hard and stiff. This was before I hennaed so that was not a factor in the difference. I've since hennaed/indigoed twice with great results as far as the health of my hair and I'm now 12 wks post relaxer. Is there a good relaxer brand that you henna/indigo users prefer? I don't want to use Dr. Miracle again.

Ok, one more question since I'm here...My hair still "bleeds" a bit of color when I wash (squeeze the hair strands). Is this normal? I'm not staining my pillowcases or anything but I do notice slight color bleed in the water when I wash my hair and I've noticed some of my grays have gone from the indigo black to the slight coppery red from the henna...Is it normal to bleed color from a henna/indigo for so long? I did my last one about 4 weeks ago. It was actually my 2nd henna/indigo. My first one, I mixed the two together thinking I'd get brown and the indigo color was nil. My grays were bright henna red! The second one I did I kept it in a 2 step and had much better success with my grays turning black...Or at least for a while.

Thank you for your input and help!

I'm going to texlax in 2 weeks. How long before/after my touch up is it safe to use henna/indigo?

I think some ladies used to wait about a week after relaxing before they Henna. I used to Henna right after relaxing with no problems though. I would recommend Henna'ing after relaxing because henna may not allow the relaxer to "take" as well as you like (especially if you like bone-straight hair). Also, relaxing after indigo'ing may cause your color to "bleed".

I have some leftover henna that I put in the freezer. How is the best way to dethaw? Thanks!!

I usually let it thaw out on its own. I've never added heat or microwaved frozen henna.:ohwell:

Harina

Woooh! I'm officially back into the ayurveda game after finding an Indian store minutes away from me. Just pre-pooed my hair with Parachute coconut oil, applied henna, left it on for a about two hours with plastic cap/towel, and co-washed it out with garnier triple nutrition conditioner. My hair is soooo frekaing soft. I was about to apply my Kid's Organics Shea Butter leave in, but I've decided to just seal my dampness with some avocado oil.

I was planning on deep conditioning after the henna, but I didn't see the point. Is that always necessary? Is this softness a temporary thing? Btw, my henna mixture was Supreme Mongney henna, water, olive oil (more), coconut oil (less), and a few spoonfuls of Yoplait's greek yogurt.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
okay i'm up to page 15 and i can't figure out where in the dmv people are buying their henna. i really would prefer to go to a store. i hate ordering things and then having to go to the post office or have it delivered to my job.

my hair is breaking really really badly and this is my last resort. any assistance is greatly appreciated.

(will continue to read)

Quita

okay i'm up to page 15 and i can't figure out where in the dmv people are buying their henna. i really would prefer to go to a store. i hate ordering things and then having to go to the post office or have it delivered to my job.

my hair is breaking really really badly and this is my last resort. any assistance is greatly appreciated.

(will continue to read)

Try to find a local Indian grocery store, they will have Henna and other Aruvedic powders (and they're a lot cheaper then buying online). But if your hair is breaking I'm not sure if the Henna will be your final answer, how's your protein moisture balance?

My hair was breaking a while ago and I couldn't figure out why:wallbash: until I DC'ed for the first time in along time and realized my hair was dry and needed moisture since then no breakage and my hair is soft. When you do Henna, make sure you DC with a good moisturizing conditioner b/c henna can dry your hair.

I'm DC'ing now after 4hrs of henna, my hair was rough after I washed out the henna but I'm under the heat cap with AOHSR mixed with honey and EVOO. this is my first time trying this mix so I'm excited to see how my hair feels after I wash it off. I'll baggy tonight just for additional moisture; I'm a 4b natural with very thirsty hair. :lick:

Quita

Try to find a local Indian grocery store, they will have Henna and other Aruvedic powders (and they're a lot cheaper then buying online). But if your hair is breaking I'm not sure if the Henna will be your final answer, how's your protein moisture balance?

My hair was breaking a while ago and I couldn't figure out why:wallbash: until I DC'ed for the first time in along time and realized my hair was dry and needed moisture since then no breakage and my hair is soft. When you do Henna, make sure you DC with a good moisturizing conditioner b/c henna can dry your hair.

I'm DC'ing now after 4hrs of henna, my hair was rough after I washed out the henna but I'm under the heat cap with AOHSR mixed with honey and EVOO. this is my first time trying this mix so I'm excited to see how my hair feels after I wash it off. I'll baggy tonight just for additional moisture; I'm a 4b natural with very thirsty hair. :lick:

Sorry to qoute myself but if you search your local area and still can't find an Indian grocery story PM me and I'll send you a pack of my Henna. I just stocked up from last trip to Atlanta:grin: (that's the PJ in me)

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Sorry to qoute myself but if you search your local area and still can't find an Indian grocery story PM me and I'll send you a pack of my Henna. I just stocked up from last trip to Atlanta:grin: (that's the PJ in me)

thanks.........

Last edited:

Majestye

I first time hennaed at 16wks post and have had detangling issues ever since, whereas before I didn't have detangle problems.

Any ideas why, and how to stop the issue and go back to tangle-free hair?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Ok, so I'm preparing for my first henna/indigo for tomorrow. I mixed up my jamilla henna powder with lemon juice in preparation.

I cowashed my hair, moisturized and sealed with oil and air dried as usual today. So tomorrow, do I wash, dry and apply my henna mixture to naked hair, wrap, let it sit for a couple hours, rinse it out, let it dry, apply the indigo, wrap it, let it sit a couple hours, rinse it out and then dc? Does that sound right? Am I missing anything? Oh, and I'm adding salt to the indigo mix and letting it sit on extra long because I have a few gray strands in the front that I want to cover. Does this sound right? Just trying to get my game plan in order for the main event. I'm so excited! :grin:

Khadija.D.Carryl

Absolutely sounds about right. The thing is that I wouldnt wash your hair again tomorow as that is drying it out a bit. I'd mist it a bit and apply onto damp hair so it goes on a bit easier. That should help. Then oil afterwards. Don't strip out your natural oils too much or else the henna and herbs will really dry you out.

Aggie

Ok, so I'm preparing for my first henna/indigo for tomorrow. I mixed up my jamilla henna powder with lemon juice in preparation.

I cowashed my hair, moisturized and sealed with oil and air dried as usual today. So tomorrow, do I wash, dry and apply my henna mixture to naked hair, wrap, let it sit for a couple hours, rinse it out, let it dry, apply the indigo, wrap it, let it sit a couple hours, rinse it out and then dc? Does that sound right? Am I missing anything? Oh, and I'm adding salt to the indigo mix and letting it sit on extra long because I have a few gray strands in the front that I want to cover. Does this sound right? Just trying to get my game plan in order for the main event. I'm so excited! :grin:

I like your plan, except for me, lemon jiuce would dry my hair something fierce. If this happens, then you might want to skip the terp/lemon juice and just let your mix sit an extra hour or two for the color to release.

Guitarhero

Well, I used the Kali Mehendi which has ppd in it but amla, henna and shikakai as well. It covers well and didn't damage my hair like Bigen did. I have some slight grey on the hairline I'm trying to cover. I think I'll go back to Indigo and try the 2-step method rather than what I was doing, mixing them together. I also will invest in some good quality indigo.

Has anyone seen the pre-mixed henna paste?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-HENNA-INSTANT...BROWN-USA-/160334575623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Poutchi

Hello Ladies,
I just have to share this with you. I hennaed my hair on sunday and for the first time i used a steamer. I didn't cover my hair just put a cotton coil around my face for drippings. I sat under the steamer for 60min and then put a plastic cap and kept the henna in for another hour. When I was rinsing the henna out, i was sooo scared because my hair was incredibly soft after henna only, no dc nothing after. I t shirt dried for like 5 min and i couldn t believe how soft my hair was. It was butter Island in my head lol. I almost didn't DC afterward but I chickened out and did a 30min moisture DC after. But next time, I won't be DCing. My hair was just beautiful
HHJ to all

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Hello Ladies,
I just have to share this with you. I hennaed my hair on sunday and for the first time i used a steamer. I didn't cover my hair just put a cotton coil around my face for drippings. I sat under the steamer for 60min and then put a plastic cap and kept the henna in for another hour. When I was rinsing the henna out, i was sooo scared because my hair was incredibly soft after henna only, no dc nothing after. I t shirt dried for like 5 min and i couldn t believe how soft my hair was. It was butter Island in my head lol. I almost didn't DC afterward but I chickened out and did a 30min moisture DC after. But next time, I won't be DCing. My hair was just beautiful
HHJ to all

Hmmm. Sounds interesting. How much dripping did you get? Was it messy or was the cotton coil enough. I'm gonna henna today.

Poutchi

Hmmm. Sounds interesting. How much dripping did you get? Was it messy or was the cotton coil enough. I'm gonna henna today.
The dripping was ok,
The cotton coil actually took it all. It turned orange and that is it. I did have a towel handy as well just in case and of course i was wearing henna clothings lol
HTH

Pompous Blue

Hello Ladies,
HHJ to all
I've been using my steamer to do my henna every since mid-June. There's nothing like using the steamer. My hair is nice and soft, too. But I aways DC afterwards.....I guess I chicken out, too...LOL......But henna and the steamer is an excellent combination!

I love not having to sit around for hours with henna on my head and hours afterwards with DC. It used to be an all day process. Not anymore, though. I do it Friday after work and in 3 hours I'm done, start to finish.

I, also, use my steamer to do a Kalpi-tone treatment. Dream and a breeze!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
The dripping was ok,
The cotton coil actually took it all. It turned orange and that is it. I did have a towel handy as well just in case and of course i was wearing henna clothings lol
HTH

I've been using my steamer to do my henna every since mid-June. There's nothing like using the steamer. My hair is nice and soft, too. But I aways DC afterwards.....I guess I chicken out, too...LOL......But henna and the steamer is an excellent combination!

I love not having to sit around for hours with henna on my head and hours afterwards with DC. It used to be an all day process. Not anymore, though. I do it Friday after work and in 3 hours I'm done, start to finish.

I, also, use my steamer to do a Kalpi-tone treatment. Dream and a breeze!

Thanks ladies. I'm on it!

Khadija.D.Carryl

Hello Ladies,
HHJ to all

Amazing to hear!!! Sounds gorgeous

Majestye

Which henna powder did you use? and did you oil afterwards? Oiling helps especially with argan oil

I used Henna for Hair - Ancient Sunrise Cinammon kit. 100gs of Henna and Buxus each. I used lemon juice for the dye release overnight, then just before application added 4 tblspns of honey and some tea tree oil to help with the scent.
I sat under the dryer with a plastic cap for about an hour..so total time on my head was about 1.5 hours. I followed with EVOO, EVCO, Jojoba, Almond oil, castor and Vit E mixture, and banana for about another 30-40 mins, then used Elasta QP DPR-11. My hair still seemed strange and hard to comb, so I followed with ORS Replenishing pak (which helped a bit).

As the weeks went by, my hair became super soft, but still has detangling issues.

Khadija.D.Carryl

It sounds like it kind of got dried out. Like rough a bit.

I'd skip the lemon juice part. It's not something I personally recommend. Maybe a shot of lemon juice but mainly warm water is your best friend, and just oil or use a shampoo bar afterwards so you can keep it simple and make sure it's not overdoing it. Because then it begins to be difficult to narrow down the culprit in the regimen/recipe you just did. I hope this helps :)

Platinum

Hello Ladies,
HHJ to all

Sounds good. Glad it worked out for you. I may consider purchasing a steamer soon.:yep:

Majestye

It sounds like it kind of got dried out. Like rough a bit.

I'd skip the lemon juice part. It's not something I personally recommend. Maybe a shot of lemon juice but mainly warm water is your best friend, and just oil or use a shampoo bar afterwards so you can keep it simple and make sure it's not overdoing it. Because then it begins to be difficult to narrow down the culprit in the regimen/recipe you just did. I hope this helps :)

Next time, I'll try to keep it simpler... I was just so worried about ensuring dye release to cover my grays at my hairline. I used a LOT of lemon juice...no water at all! It's time for me to touch up my hairline. Will the dye release with just water, and no acid?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Next time, I'll try to keep it simpler... I was just so worried about ensuring dye release to cover my grays at my hairline. I used a LOT of lemon juice...no water at all! It's time for me to touch up my hairline. Will the dye release with just water, and no acid?

I henna'd and indigo'd my hair last night. I made a big batch of henna using only lemon juice. Don't quote me but, I thought the how-to ebook at mehandi's site mentioned acid is necessary in the mix and if lemon juice was too much, then oj was a substitute. I think there were a couple other suggestions but my head's hurting too much to look it up. (Major sinus headache)

Just want to say after I used my henna mix and followed up with indigo, my hair felt a little rough (might've been just the gritty indigo) but, I used some PC (porosity control) and then cowashed my hair and it was fine. I wanted to follow up with a dc w/steam but after both those processes, I was too tired so I dc overnight and my hair feels good --strong and moisturized.

Oh and the indigo coverage of my grays is heavenly! I added a little salt to the indigo mix to make sure it took well and it really did. I'm VERY pleased. (Uh, except for the huge mess I made dealing with that messy indigo)