Healthy Hair Journey = Itchy scalp?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Ok, so I've started my HJ about a month ago and things have been going very well. I try and massage my scalp more (never did before) moisturize and seal nightly. Wash every 5 days, deep condition each wash, introducing more protein etc etc. I had a bit of dry scalp (because I hardly put any product in my hair - so that it would blow in the wind:grin:). I've cured the dry scalp with jojoba oil as my "hair grease" and I also stimulate my scalp pre wash with some eucalyptus oil. Point being - since starting my journey I have found that my scalp is a lot more itchy! Is it my scalp awakening? (I do have new growth, 5 weeks worth and it is way softer than it's ever been). Any ideas as to what's going on? THe shampoo and conditioners I use are the same as before. The daily leave in and the oils are all new. I'm hoping that this is just my scalp being excited with the care but I do hope it stops soon. Sorry so long:yep:

LaFemmeNaturelle

Eucalyptus oil made my scalp itch like no other. Certain shampoos and conditioners also cause an itchy scalp for me if I massage it in. So I've stopped and the itching has done away. Maybe your scalp doesn't agree with the oils you are using.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Maybe it's the eucalyptus oil, I'll skip it this wash and see if there is a difference. Thanks ladies:)

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Hey OP, my scalp is a lot more itchy too. I think mine comes from scalp massages, which I've never done before. It seems my scalp itch more when I massage it. I think low manipulation has my scalp itchy too. My scalp is use to having the comb rake through it several times a day. Now that I've quit combing cold turkey, unless detangling before washing -- I think my scalp is like what's going on?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
divachyk - that's a good point the low manipulation and reduction in the combing probably has something to do with it too.

mg1979

Ok, so I've started my HJ about a month ago and things have been going very well. I try and massage my scalp more (never did before) moisturize and seal nightly. Wash every 5 days, deep condition each wash, introducing more protein etc etc. I had a bit of dry scalp (because I hardly put any product in my hair - so that it would blow in the wind:grin:). I've cured the dry scalp with jojoba oil as my "hair grease" and I also stimulate my scalp pre wash with some eucalyptus oil. Point being - since starting my journey I have found that my scalp is a lot more itchy! Is it my scalp awakening? (I do have new growth, 5 weeks worth and it is way softer than it's ever been). Any ideas as to what's going on? THe shampoo and conditioners I use are the same as before. The daily leave in and the oils are all new. I'm hoping that this is just my scalp being excited with the care but I do hope it stops soon. Sorry so long:yep:

If skipping the eucalyptus oil doesn't work, you may try not applying the jojoba as often. I was oiling (with a different carrier oil) daily and after a few days my scalp kept itching. So I applied more oil, but it just got worse. I finally figured out that daily was too often and it was building up and that's why it was itching. I could do it daily in the winter without a problem, but it was too much for summer.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

since starting my journey, mine has been on fie'
straight on fie' way past the point of itch

and as you mentioned it only started on my HHJ itch itch itch!!!

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Just to follow up ladies - the eucalyptus seems to have been the culprit! No more itching since I've stopped using it. It was probably a sign as I'm pregnant and recently read that I should stay away from some essential oils while pregnant (scary)! I do miss the smell and soothing effects of it though.

Kindheart

Just to follow up ladies - the eucalyptus seems to have been the culprit! No more itching since I've stopped using it. It was probably a sign as I'm pregnant and recently read that I should stay away from some essential oils while pregnant (scary)! I do miss the smell and soothing effects of it though.
Honey ! stay away from essential oils ,ALL OF THEM during pregnancy ,there are some that are relatively safe to use after 4 months but i would stay away from them completely ,also avoid commercial products full of chemicals that are easily absorbed into your bloodstream such as propylene glycol ,Glycol dystereate ,methylparaben (although this last one is normally in very small quantities) everything adds up and could affect your baby ,also avoid phlatlates normally disguised as Frangrance ,plastic wrapping and containers(impossible to avoid completely ),in male fetus it was found to be the culpript of feminine behavior after birth whilst there are any proven effects on girls.It has also a medium toxicity on the body .
ETA:Also avoid Salycic acid as it could harm the baby interfering with a healthy developement

Last edited:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Honey ! stay away from essential oils ,ALL OF THEM during pregnancy ,there are some that are relatively safe to use after 4 months but i would stay away from them completely ,also avoid commercial products full of chemicals that are easily absorbed into your bloodstream such as propylene glycol ,Glycol dystereate ,methylparaben (although this last one is normally in very small quantities) everything adds up and could affect your baby ,also avoid phlatlates normally disguised as Frangrance ,plastic wrapping and containers(impossible to avoid completely ),in male fetus it was found to be the culpript of feminine behavior after birth whilst there are any proven effects on girls.It has also a medium toxicity on the body .
ETA:Also avoid Salycic acid as it could harm the baby interfering with a healthy developement

OT (I'm not trying to highjack OP) but really? Where did you hear this? :perplexed