What protein conditioner do you use?

CarLiTa

HOw often do you use it? and how does it work for you???

i'm doing a little survey... my hair products are running out and I need to find the best products by the time I start the new year.

I"m thinking of Motions CPR but i just looked at the 'no-repurchasing" thread and i'm like hmmm i dont know... even though i used it in the past.

ajargon02

I am Aphogee protein tx, w/ the aphogee protein conditioner. I then usually follow up w/ my own dc mix, so my hair doesn't feel funky. I only do it 1 week after taking braids down, or 3-4 times a year, if I am not wearing braids. Or like a week or 2 before color. I don't really have shedding issues, but I will take precautions. I don't do it often, so I am not worried about protein build up.

PrettyBrownEyes

ORS Hair Mayonnaise. I was using it bi-weekly but, I stopped because somewhere in my regime I think I was using too much protein, so now I am just concentrating on moisturizing conditioners.

carameldiva

i actually use three- Lamaur's bone marrow, Jherri redding's 100% natural protein conditioner and Toque Agico Emergencia tratamiento intesivo capilar.
the first one is lite to med, second heavy and third heavy. The first two can be purchased at sally's and the last one is a dominican product.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I've been using Elasta QP intensive treatment serum (light)- I use this once a month. My hair likes it and it stops my shedding if I am having some, Aphoghee (heavy) I try to use it every 6wks, but sitting under that dryer for ever is just to much. It use to work really well but the last time I used it it didn't do much, I hope it didn't expire or maybe I should have clarified first, Nexxus Keraphix (light-medium)- this I use along w/the Botanoil my last 3 poo and cond dys before a relaxer and the wk after relaxer day. I also use the ORS hair Mayo as a DC on relaxer day, my hair didn't really like it at first, but it worked better since I've been on the moisture kick. HTH

karezone

carameldiva said:
i actually use three- Lamaur's bone marrow, Jherri redding's 100% natural protein conditioner and Toque Agico Emergencia tratamiento intesivo capilar.
the first one is lite to med, second heavy and third heavy. The first two can be purchased at sally's and the last one is a dominican product.

I use jheri reddings protein also. My Mom put me on to it. She used it back in the day when she had a curl. How do you use it?

I usually apply to my hair after washing and sit under my dryer for about 15 min.

Last edited:

Synthia

I use Nexxus Emergencee'. I slather it on, comb through, put a plastic bag on and but a bonnet dryer on for 20 to 25 minutes.

I know some people like to skip the bag and dry it really hard ... but I get results without that.

Afterward I wash it out, my hair is strong and i have no breakage and it doesn't feel all hard and dry. I follow, of course, with a deep moisturizing treatment anyway.

tenderheaded

I've used Aphogee since I got a relaxer in April. Today I mixed it with Elasta qp breakfree serum and my hair feels fat! I mean really thick and strong! I clarified first, and afterwards used Aphogee mositure with carrot oil added. I've been doing this every 4-5 weeks. In between I'll use a reconstructor, Motions CPR or Got2b. I find that I need to use something every week.

I have Elasta qp mango butter, WGO,carrot oil, generic Humectress, and Humecto to keep me moisturized, along with Breakfree.

I'm 4a/4b.

Sweet C

For a little protein, I use Aphogee 2-minute keratin reconstructor

For deep protein treatments, Dudley DRC-28 is the way to go. I also have some Keracare Super Reconstructor that I haven't gotten around to using yet. Both of these require a moisturizing conditioner follow-up, which I do with Humecto or Lekair Cholesterol (pink), and sometimes I will add other things to this.

CarLiTa said:
HOw often do you use it? and how does it work for you???

i'm doing a little survey... my hair products are running out and I need to find the best products by the time I start the new year.

I"m thinking of Motions CPR but i just looked at the 'no-repurchasing" thread and i'm like hmmm i dont know... even though i used it in the past.

I was thinking about purchasing Motions CPR to use after i take my braids out... What's the matter with it?

camellia

Nexxus Emergencee.

I just ordered some Keraphix and I can't wait to try that. Protien really helps with shedding.

Candy_C

Hey i'm new, but with the amount of trial and error i think i can help..

Motions CPR, i have, and i have used in the past, but it only seemed to work well when i used to use heat? (dryer n flat irons). Now that i'm the air dry queen it does diddly squat!

Mane n Tail conditioner (leave in) seems to be the only protein i need as i use it on a very regular basis.

AFFIRM 5in1 is the best type of protein for me!

Hope that helps

-xxx-

CarLiTa

some ppl said they didnt like it... but i used to like it, so who knows?

thanx for all the replies!!! i want to incorporate more protein into my regimen. I want a 35% protein, 65% moisture regimen... does that make sense? I want equally strong yet soft hair, and sometimes i feel that my hair needs to be stronger.
What i wanna do: *all followed by conditioning treatment
light protein weekly (weeks 1-4 post relaxer)
Week 5 off, and doing heavy moisturizing
heavy protein (week 6)
week 7 off (heavy moisturizing)
light protein (weeks 8-11)
week 12 TOUCH-UP

is that alright? or too much?? i wanted to try this for 3 months and see how my hair and scalp improved with that. If it got to be too much, i'd cut down on the protein and do more moisture

Candy_C

CarLiTa said:
some ppl said they didnt like it... but i used to like it, so who knows?

thanx for all the replies!!! i want to incorporate more protein into my regimen. I want a 35% protein, 65% moisture regimen... does that make sense? I want equally strong yet soft hair, and sometimes i feel that my hair needs to be stronger.
What i wanna do: *all followed by conditioning treatment
light protein weekly (weeks 1-4 post relaxer)
Week 5 off, and doing heavy moisturizing
heavy protein (week 6)
week 7 off (heavy moisturizing)
light protein (weeks 8-11)
week 12 TOUCH-UP

is that alright? or too much?? i wanted to try this for 3 months and see how my hair and scalp improved with that. If it got to be too much, i'd cut down on the protein and do more moisture

Thats sounds very well organised and your hair will really benefit from the alternation. thats exactly kind of what i'm doing now. gettin a good balance is the key. dont forget some nice overnight oil treatments girly!

Jewell

I like Motions CPR, but I use it under the dryer, so it works a lot better that way, IMO.
Nexxus Keraphix is the best I have ever tried.
Motions Silk Protein is good on my hair.
I also use Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise and Mane 'N Tail Conditioner and Deep Moisturizing Conditioner. I don't use strong protein like Aphogee and Nexxus Emergencee. My hair would break right off.

Candy_C

Jewell said:
I like Motions CPR, but I use it under the dryer, so it works a lot better that way, IMO.
Nexxus Keraphix is the best I have ever tried.
Motions Silk Protein is good on my hair.
I also use Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise and Mane 'N Tail Conditioner and Deep Moisturizing Conditioner. I don't use strong protein like Aphogee and Nexxus Emergencee. My hair would break right off.

I AGREE with the aphogee! my hair would snap like a dry peice of straw if i used that.

Divine Inspiration

I love love love Nexxus Keraphix. It's good stuff. If I use it consistently, I don't ever have to do really heavy protein i.e. ApHOGEE. If I've used ApHOGEE twice...once with GREAT success, once with HORRIBLE failure. I never really felt I needed to do heavy protein in addition to lite protein anyway so I kicked that out of my regimen.

I've also used Emergencee with success. If I have to choose a heavy protein, I choose Emergencee over ApHOGEE any day. ApHOGEE is just too messy for my taste, and it's so time consuming. Not to mention that it smells like an old lady. :look:

Once I'm completely converted to natural/organic, Aubrey's GPB or Giovanni's Nutrafix will take the place of Nexxus Keraphix.

Over the past month or so I've been doing lite protein every other week in addition to mid-week CO washes and it's worked out really well. My hair is SOOO much stronger, but the deep conditions are keeping it moist and supple.

Carlita, if you're gonna use Keraphix you gotta try the Humectress/Keraphix/EVOO deep condition mix. The hair will be strong, but not dry and it will make your hair SUPER soft!!!

L

lkg4healthyhair

Nexxus Keraphix is my favorite light protein/reconstructor

Emergencee I use when I see a lot of breakage/shedding

Aubrey's GPB is currently what I use in regular rotation I like it on dry hair before I shampoo

Affirm 5 in 1 is great also

I use Dudley's DRC 28 every two months. It is a very heavy protein. I follow that up with any of my favorite moisturizing conditioners.

Healthb4Length

Right now I'm really loving B's satin deep treatment with essential oils and collagen. THis stuff is so moisturizing and it makes my hair so soft and easy to detangle...it's a definite keeper...only thing is I can only get it in NYC! I also use Aphogee and NExxus' Emergencee religiously.

Victorian

old head
Right now I have Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment. It is a fairly light protein (but effective) that is essentially the same as Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum--they are made by the same company and I've tried them both and they work the same in my hair.
I usually mix it with Elasta QP DPR-11 and that makes for a really nice deep conditioning mix--good strengthening and moisturizing :)

Candy_C

SouthernGirl said:
My beloved Mane N Tail of course! It's a keeper :)

When i was a lurker, i read your posts on mane n tail...to think i had actually FORGOT about this miracle product!! it is actually the best thing ever. my strands are actually like horse hair strands now, its amazing. they are strong and very straight too, i dont kno why but to think i haven't trimemd in a long time, mane n tail makes my hair look freshly trimmed

secretdiamond

Candy_C said:
When i was a lurker, i read your posts on mane n tail...to think i had actually FORGOT about this miracle product!! it is actually the best thing ever. my strands are actually like horse hair strands now, its amazing. they are strong and very straight too, i dont kno why but to think i haven't trimemd in a long time, mane n tail makes my hair look freshly trimmed

hmmm.....:scratchch I may have to look into this more. I already love keraphix but who says I can't have more protein goodies? LOL.

Candy_C

secretdiamond said:
hmmm.....:scratchch I may have to look into this more. I already love keraphix but who says I can't have more protein goodies? LOL.
Hehehe :lol: fo' real. a girl needs options!!

Super_Hero_Girl

Nexxus Emergencee - weekly - prevents the breakage that I had do to dry hair and color damage. Followed up with Nexxus Hummectress.

SandySea

I like Motions CPR mixed with moisture plus. I've been using cholesterol for moisture lately because I think I was overdoing the protein. When I need serious protein, I pull out Aphogee--the smelly one ( I can't remember the name).