Dry Flaky Scalp

BellaLaDonna

:help:Hi, I am new here, and I really enjoy reading the posts.

I have a dry, flaky scalp (scabs on my scalp) and dandruff issue. I have tried T- tree oil, Head & Shoulders, and T Shampoo but nothing is helping my flaky scalp?

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Solitude

What's your hair regimen? Is your hair relaxed or natural? Are the scabs a result of chemical burns or just dryness?

My suggestion is to keep your scalp clean by washing frequently. You don't have to use shampoo with every wash, you can use conditioner or a gently sulfate-free shampoo. I used to have a dry, flaky scalp and I've found that 3 things help: 1. cleansing my scalp regularly (1-3 times a week), 2. Pre-pooing when my scalp is especially itchy, and 3. Avoiding the use of heavy petroleum products like "hair grease" on my scalp.

If I must put something on my scalp, I use a natural oil. I used to pre-poo with conditioner mixed with rosemary, eucalyptus, and peppermint oils. One non-natural commercial oil mix that I sometimes pre-poo with is Dr. Miracle's Stimulating Growth Oil. I put it on my scalp with a plastic cap before shampooing and it helps to keep the itchiness away. (Note: the ingredients in Dr. Miracle's are not that good, so I always shampoo it out. I just love the tingling sensation of those products & salicylic acid is good for my scalp and skin).

Lastly, when you wash your hair, let the water flow directly onto your scalp for a few minutes. When you condition your hair, massage the conditioner into your scalp and not just your hair (be sure to rinse thoroughly). That can help keep it from becoming dry.

ETA: Trust me, I had dry flaky scalp for years and I found that the number one culprit for me was not keeping my scalp clean. If the problem persists, it may be a more serious condition ...so if you can see a doc to rule out any skin conditions that would be a good idea.

Last edited:

Platinum

:welcome4::newbie: You may need to see a dermatologist about your scalp condition.

How often do you wash your hair? What products do you use on your hair?

Also, you can try an anti-fungal creme like Miconazole Nitrate (Monistat or Lotrimin AF-athletes foot creme). I would suggest that you use this only on your scalp, not the hair. Many ladies have had great results with this. I had problems with an itchy, flaky scalp a few years ago so I mixed the MN with Sulfur 8 and it worked for me.:yep:

Hope this helps.

BellaLaDonna

Thank you so much, I wash my hair once a week because I thought dry scalp meant that I was over-washing??

I will wash 3 times a week. I was thinking about pre shampooing with Olive Oil? What do you think?

Thank You :love2: But I will try essential oils.

Keen

I agree that you should wash your hair more often and try to oil your scalp daily. Tea tree works but you have to use it often enough. You can add some to a scalp treatment and just use it daily until your scalp is healed. Is your scalp itching also?

Solitude

Thank you so much, I wash my hair once a week because I thought dry scalp meant that I was over-washing??

I will wash 3 times a week. I was thinking about pre shampooing with Olive Oil? What do you think?

Olive Oil is great!

As far as the washing, it may be different for different people...If you feel like once a week is working, stick with it.

For me, wetting my hair helps me retain moisture, so washing or co-washing keeps my scalp moist and clean. The dead skin gets washed away the moisture keeps my scalp from flaking.

BellaLaDonna

It's very itchy. But mainly I have scabs that appear daily, and my scalp sheds (dandruff).

I will wash more often, and also increase use of tee-tree oil.

Last edited:

cgolden

this got my scalp perfect today and i havent been able 2 get it clean, or flakeless, for months now. i mixed like 1 tblspoon baking soda with 1oz T- gel and a very little water and applied it directly to my scalp

Minty

I'm bumping this....I have a fam. member who has this also "flaky skin." It looks like the type of bad flaking/overgrowth an infant with cradle cap gets. Scratching it up its like a sheet of skin - and this is with shampooing every day. I've done all the usuals including ACV, oil treatments, CW with Giovanni Tea Tree conditioner, H&S, a few other dandruff type shampoos and nothing.

At most they can go a day or two without the flakes being a problem (visually), but when the comb goes the scalp, they quickly start flaking off.

Is there anything else, or am I going to have to refer them to a derm?

silenttullip

Hey and welcome, some people say coconut oil helps for me I prepoo with a few spoons of jojoba oil (massage my scalp and leave it on a few hours or overnight to soften to scabs, scales, or flakes) when I don't have jojoba I use coconut I think both of those can penetrate. I shampoo with giovanni triple treat shampoo, desert essence therapeutic shampoo, or chagrin valley tea tree shampoo I use a rotation so my scalp won't build a tolerance to it. I credit chagrin valley shampoo bars and coconut oil / jojoba oil with making the scabs on my scalp go away but I do have to follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse or a conditioner. Moving on I shampoo twice a week in the summer and once in the winter. After that I put a leave in conditioner only on my ends not near my scalp and as for anything on my scalp I'll put qhemetbiologics tea tree and grapeseed pomade or my own mix of wheat germ oil, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, jojoba and aloe vera gel in a spray bottle and spray it on. It helps with the itching and dryness. Try to stay away from the sulfates and the parabens. This is how I got rid of the scabs on my scalp and how I keep dandruff and dermatitis at bay and under control and one more tip whatever you do don't scratch it when it itches try massaging and washing or spritzing it with your own mixture. I tried head and shoulders, ketaconozole, atone itchy scalp, tgel, and selsun blue none of those came close to this regimen for me I also tried keracare dry&itchy scalp it did alright but not for the price. I hope some of this may work for you, good luck

:help:Hi, I am new here, and I really enjoy reading the posts.

I have a dry, flaky scalp (scabs on my scalp) and dandruff issue. I have tried T- tree oil, Head & Shoulders, and T Shampoo but nothing is helping my flaky scalp?

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Last edited:

silenttullip

sounds like seborrheic dermatitis it's the teen/adult version of cradle cap I've battled it but it's somewhat under control now that I figured out a working reggie for it. As for contacting a derm it's always good to do at least for a sure diagnosis. If they prescibe ketaconzole aka nizoral all I'd say is if it doesn't work the first few times stop using it because it made mine worse. And if it does work remember to only put it on the scalp and follow with a moisturizing conditioner or deep condition afterwards because it's very drying.

I'm bumping this....I have a fam. member who has this also "flaky skin." It looks like the type of bad flaking/overgrowth an infant with cradle cap gets. Scratching it up its like a sheet of skin - and this is with shampooing every day. I've done all the usuals including ACV, oil treatments, CW with Giovanni Tea Tree conditioner, H&S, a few other dandruff type shampoos and nothing.

At most they can go a day or two without the flakes being a problem (visually), but when the comb goes the scalp, they quickly start flaking off.

Is there anything else, or am I going to have to refer them to a derm?

Aggie

Believe it or not but good old fashioned miconazole nitrate 2% (MN) has helped me rid myself of my dandruff issues. You can purchase it from walmart, walgreens, targets, or the dollar store. I usually dilute it in some oil and hair moisturizing lotion, with some essntail oil and apply to my scalp to control flare-ups and as a growth aid. It works very well for sebhorric dermatitis too.

silenttullip

oh one more thing dry scalp does mean you may want to use a moisturizing shampoo or therapeutic one but if you have scabs as I said before it may be a scalp condition not just dandruff. The more frequent washing and prepooing will benefit in removing the scabs and that is key with healthy hair because if your scalp is has scabs it's not going to get air and circulation like normal. You may also want to invest in a shampoo brush I'm natural so I'm kind of scared to try it but for many people shampoo brushes work well

CofCGrad1997

I used to have a dry, flaky scalp. It was hard for me to feel like my hair was ever clean because there were always flakes right after I washed. I used Keracare's shampoo/conditioner for dry and itchy scalp, and it seemed to help a lot.

I do have to agree with everyone else though -- once I started washing my hair more often (co-wash 3xs a week), the flakes disappeared for good!

sheedahp

I believe the ACV cured those problems for me, I tried neutrogena t/gel (didnt work) and neutrogena t/sal (helped some)

Researching

Had the same issues before I joined the borad. My dandruff was so bad I would burn everytime I permed and would have sores in my hair. I tried co-washing (washing hair with conditioner instead of shampoo) once a week and it all came to an end. Dandruff shampoos (including perscription) didn't do a thing and made my hair hard as a rock. Hope this helps!

sweetlaughter

I had a similar problem before. I crushed a couple of aspirin and put it in my shampoo to dissolve and it cleared the flakes right up.