Cinnamon oil is burning my scalp

tryn2growmyhair

I added it to a pre-treatment and my scalp is on fire. I am going to wash this out in 5 minutes. I mixed it with peppermint oil and that usually made my scalp cool and tingly. I think I will not be using this anymore. :ohwell:

esoterica

the burning effect is what makes the blood rush to the surface. it has a similar effect to cayenne in terms of hair growth.

tryn2growmyhair

Even when I was washing it out, my skin was burning. My poor skin is still tingling. Forget about my scalp, even my shoulders are burning from the cinnamon being washed out of hair. I added about 2 capfuls of Now Food 100% cinnamon essential oil to an 8 oz squirt bottle of coconut milk and wheat germ oil. I then put the entire mixture on my head and added some more coconut milk to try to cool my scalp down. Maybe I used too much cinnamon oil? I also added some peppermint oil, which usually feels good on my scalp. The peppermint is cool and tingly and the cinnamon is hot and fiery.

Last edited:

Cincysweetie

Ooooh yes, Tryn, that sounds like you used too much.

OT: Is cinnamon oil also one of those oils that you maybe need to dilute with another oil? Such as EVOO? I remember this issue coming up in a thread about peppermint oil.

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks guys. Yes, I think that I used too much. You see, I have one of the large bottles of Now Foods 100% Cinnamon essential oil. I am so used to peppermint oil and love the tingle that i get from it that I can put two capfuls in an 8 oz bottle of other pre-poo goodies with no problem. This might also be due to good experiences I have had with using peppermint oil in the Cathy Howse conditioner recipe.

Yes, Cinnamon oil is probably one of those essential oils that needs to be diluted but I figured this was diluting it. I guess I will need to buy a dropper so that I can more accurately measure it out.