Exema relief please help!

casey3035

My mom has Exema she says her hair stylist has a conditioner that takes care of it but she can't afford to go every week. But if she doesnt go her hair will fall. Can any one recommend a product that can help her. She says the conditioner bottle is a off white plastic bottle that you cant see through. Has red or blue dot on it and a ring around top and bottom of the bottle.Her hair stylist of course keeps the label hidden and wont reveal the name.

Lola Laughs

I am not familiar with the product/bottle you're describing, but neem oil works well on skin [like arms, legs, etc] eczema. I use it on my scalp ocassionally to get rid of itchiness. HTH.

My Friend

I'm not understanding why her stylist will not share the name of the conditioner with her/client :perplexed? I thought you had to tell a person what your applying on them for safety/allergic reaction, etc?

The bottle the stylist is using may/ or may not be original packaging. It seems this is the "hook" the stylist is using to make sure your mom spends her money with her,:sad: SAD!!!

I'm sure some ladies will chime in soon and suggest products that can help your mom.

lushlady

If she is hiding the contents of this bottle, is it possible that something else she is using could be causing the very issue she claims to have the solution for. If you don't mind me asking, what part of her body has the eczema?

Bella_Atl

I have Eczema and I use Salcura. The hairstylist could be using a generic bottle and her own concoction. That annoys me. You mother has the right to know what someone is using on her head. But it sounds like it might be Malibu by EC Mode. It's in a blue bottle though. It's a weekly scalp treatment and works great. Also my steamer has helped my eczema alot. IHTH.

QueenNefi

My father has it. I buy Grampas Pine Tar soap for him to use daily. He has been using it for the last two months and said that it has worked wonders for him.

I was having a conversation with my Dr about fish oil. He's recommends that I take fish oil for my overall health (but pharmacutical grade fish oil, like Nortic Naturals). Anyway, out of the blue he tells me that eczema is a result of deficiency of Omega's. In addition to the Pine tar soap, I recommend fish oil supplements daily and using Shea butter to moisturize the skin- I would say L'Occitane.

Good luck.

QueenNefi

As far as her hair and scalp. Tell her to try a shampoo and conditioner with Pine Tar in it. You can find it on line.

casey3035

If she is hiding the contents of this bottle, is it possible that something else she is using could be causing the very issue she claims to have the solution for. If you don't mind me asking, what part of her body has the eczema?
It is on different parts of the body but the head area is what is concerning to her.

silenttullip

I use coconutoil for the hardness and teatree for the itch and jojoba for the strength, sometimes qhemet teatree pomade or darcy's scalp conditioning pomade. They both work great

foxee

I don't have any recommendations on conditioner, but Evening Primrose Oil (soft gels) helped clear my eczema in less than one month. I take one orally each day (Spring Valley brand).

mariofmagdal

My daughter has it, and MSM and Chlorella have taken care of that for her. We do not use anything topical at all anymore, other than moisturizing lotions daily. No more outbreaks. It helps with her seasonal allergies too!

My daughter is 6, so adult doses would be required. Hope she finds relief soon.

casey3035

I have Eczema and I use Salcura. The hairstylist could be using a generic bottle and her own concoction. That annoys me. You mother has the right to know what someone is using on her head. But it sounds like it might be Malibu by EC Mode. It's in a blue bottle though. It's a weekly scalp treatment and works great. Also my steamer has helped my eczema alot. IHTH.
Where can the Salcura be purchased?

Last edited:

Prudent1

My father has it. I buy Grampas Pine Tar soap for him to use daily. He has been using it for the last two months and said that it has worked wonders for him.

I was having a conversation with my Dr about fish oil. He's recommends that I take fish oil for my overall health (but pharmacutical grade fish oil, like Nortic Naturals). Anyway, out of the blue he tells me that eczema is a result of deficiency of Omega's. In addition to the Pine tar soap, I recommend fish oil supplements daily and using Shea butter to moisturize the skin- I would say L'Occitane.

Good luck.
I was going to say Flax seed oil which is a good source of Omegas internally and topically has worked great for my DD. As someone else suggested tea tree oil in small amounts too. Feels so good to a dry scalp! You can probably experiment and come up with a blend of custom oils and then make any needed dietary changes. Does your mom know what types of things she is sensitive to? Eczema is usally in response to something.

casey3035

She says what ever it is -has a very nice smell to it. So I assume it's not mTG but she is willing to try whatever.

MrsLadyK

My mom has Exema she says her hair stylist has a conditioner that takes care of it but she can't afford to go every week. But if she doesnt go her hair will fall. Can any one recommend a product that can help her. She says the conditioner bottle is a off white plastic bottle that you cant see through. Has red or blue dot on it and a ring around top and bottom of the bottle.Her hair stylist of course keeps the label hidden and wont reveal the name.

I have ezcema :wallbash: and I use coconut oil and shea butter oil. My ezcema clears up immediately and I have no outbreaks as long as I use it consistently. It also removes the scarring that can be left behind from an outbreak. Just mix both of them together in a bottle and just alittle goes along way. :grin:

RocStar

I don't have any idea what the conditioner might be, but I wanted to chime in and say that your mom needs a new stylist immediately. If the stylist will not share what they use I say find one that will. Just my two cents.

PJaye

I had a really bad bout with eczema in 2004 (I had never had it before), with extreme itching and soreness along my hairline and a few spots in the crown area. Since it was torture to even touch my hair, I barely combed it and this resulted in two huge bald spots along my hairline near my ears, one bald spot in the front, and my entire nape section being dreaded up into one Bob Marley-looking clump that I cut off into a small afro.

What worked for me was the following:

- Shampooing every other day with a mixture of two different shampoos, one that contained salicylic acid to remove any plaque and another that contained pine tar - massaging it into the scalp for approximately 5 minutes and allowing it to sit for another 5 minutes.
- Applying some old fashioned Sulfur 8 to the entire scalp before allowing the hair to air dry in a ponytail.
- Took an OTC antihistimine for a few days to address the itching.

Within a week, I no longer had any itching, soreness or plaque build-ups; after a month my bald spots had filled in nicely. Thankfully, I haven’t had any more episodes; I believe the key for me was simplicity. I hope this has helped in some way.

lushlady

It is on different parts of the body but the head area is what is concerning to her.

Ok. I asked because eczema is brought on by so many different things and there are different types of eczema. My eczema was brought on from food allergies (which I didn't know until I went to a physician) cosmetics, specifically Victoria's Secret lip glosses and shower gel and exercizing outside when it is too sunny, and stress. It was really trial and error, and patience to find out what was triggering this and ways to avoid it.

With the worse outbreak I had (stress induced) I got a prescription. For my smaller outbreaks I use a hydrocortisone cream at 2%. I then mix petroleum jelly with water until it turns white and put that over the hydrocorisone cream. If it is on a part of my body that I can cover with a bandage I will. Not a band aid, but the kind of bandage you would use for burns.

BTW, I am one of those anti-petroleum jelly people. However, the very reasons I don't use it on my skin and hair is why it works in this case. This is the only time use it. Oh, and if you try this, make sure you get the fragrance free kind, which is usually the store brand.

With all that said, if it is possible for your mom to go to a doctor, I would suggest she start there as this is a medical issue. Hope this helps.

gn1g

I went to the derm for excema in the scalp along with psorasis and the doc recommended nizoral shampoo it is over the counter now and can be found in wal marts and wal greens.

BostonMaria

I am not familiar with the product/bottle you're describing, but neem oil works well on skin [like arms, legs, etc] eczema. I use it on my scalp ocassionally to get rid of itchiness. HTH.

Neem oil stinks to high hell BUT it works! My DH has eczema on his elbows and after 2 applications of neem oil the eczema is almost all gone.

OP, tell your mom to find a doctor that can help treat the problem. You can also buy some stinky neem oil in the meantime. You can buy it online or at GNC, Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe. The bottle shouldn't cost more than $6

Vashti

I had severe eczema for a decade and what got rid of mine was removing gluten and soy from my diet forever. They put me on a three week cleanse (burdock root tea). Also, they had to give me things to calm my inflammation down like strong doses of fish oil and a shake mix to mix with juice that had tumeric in it. They also put me on a probiotic. I went to a naturopath to get my eczema cured.

My eczema had to do with something in my diet that was causing it. Maybe your mom is eating foods that she can't tolerate and isn't aware of it. But i didn't have scalp eczema which is different from atopic eczema so i don't know if that helps.

Last edited:

casey3035

My mom has gone to the doctor.She was given something for her skin which helps alot but again the hair thing is the problem.The only time her hair doesnt fall out is when this lady does it. The lady is not causing the problem as someone mentioned earlier. My mom went to this lady and told her to just cut it all off to a TWA because it was coming out so bad. The lady told her she didnt think that was needed-used the poo and conditioner and her her stopped coming out as of then.

I have given her most of all of your suggestions but please continue to chime in. I know it's my moms right to know whats going on her head but lets face it-the stylist wont tell her and of course she is not going to just stop going until she figures out what she can try. If the Dr. hasnt helped her and no other stylist has of course she cant just stop going and demand to know what product she is using. I'm sure the stylist could tell her any lie.

Last edited:

Nonie

Ok. I asked because eczema is brought on by so many different things and there are different types of eczema. My eczema was brought on from food allergies (which I didn't know until I went to a physician) cosmetics, specifically Victoria's Secret lip glosses and shower gel and exercizing outside when it is too sunny, and stress. It was really trial and error, and patience to find out what was triggering this and ways to avoid it.

With the worse outbreak I had (stress induced) I got a prescription. For my smaller outbreaks I use a hydrocortisone cream at 2%. I then mix petroleum jelly with water until it turns white and put that over the hydrocorisone cream. If it is on a part of my body that I can cover with a bandage I will. Not a band aid, but the kind of bandage you would use for burns.

BTW, I am one of those anti-petroleum jelly people. However, the very reasons I don't use it on my skin and hair is why it works in this case. This is the only time use it. Oh, and if you try this, make sure you get the fragrance free kind, which is usually the store brand.

With all that said, if it is possible for your mom to go to a doctor, I would suggest she start there as this is a medical issue. Hope this helps.

Your concoction sounds like the stuff I used to get prescribed in Kenya. I don't know what was in it but it had the consistency of Vaseline and was white and what a wonder it did to relieve my eczema. Of course now I'm anti-cortisones after years of fighting candidiasis and discovering that steroids turned you into their b**** (Ooh, did I say that out loud?). But I have to say that nothing worked as well as my doctor's concoction. I would so love to know what was in it...hoping he's not a secretive like OP's mom's stylist. :rolleyes:

I had severe eczema for a decade and what got rid of mine was removing gluten and soy from my diet forever. They put me on a three week cleanse (burdock root tea). Also, they had to give me things to calm my inflammation down like strong doses of fish oil and a shake mix to mix with juice that had tumeric in it. They also put me on a probiotic. I went to a naturopath to get my eczema cured.

My eczema had to do with something in my diet that was causing it. Maybe your mom is eating foods that she can't tolerate and isn't aware of it. But i didn't have scalp eczema which is different from atopic eczema so i don't know if that helps.

I was going to say Flax seed oil which is a good source of Omegas internally and topically has worked great for my DD. As someone else suggested tea tree oil in small amounts too. Feels so good to a dry scalp! You can probably experiment and come up with a blend of custom oils and then make any needed dietary changes. Does your mom know what types of things she is sensitive to? Eczema is usally in response to something.

^^You two address two very interesting points. Prudent, your suggestion was an aha moment for me.

In 1993, when I was dealing with systemic candidiasis, I found a booklet that told me about changing my diet to fix that. I cut out sugar, gluten (wheat), dairy, all processed and fermented foods, yeast...and all fruit for the first month. I also started to take 5 supplements w/o fail and still do (minus the caprylic acid): garlic, a potent multi, acidophilus (probiotic), a source of Omega oils and a caprylic acid product eg Capricin.

What led me to this journey was developing a rash that looked like the eczema I had had since I was a kid, but it didn't respond to even the cream from my doctor in Kenya. It was just this dry skin that looked like eczema and itched like crazy but creams just sat on it and would not penetrate. It'd itch so much at night, I'd wake up to caked blood and pus from having scratched in my sleep and torn the skin. I knew what to do with eczema (the cream) but this thing baffled me. Hence my search for a solution and my discovery of the existence of systemic candidiasis. I did fight recurrent yeast infections too, but never linked them to the skin issues. Let's just say I was a sickly li'l thing. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. But that rash was unbearable, hence my quest for a solution.

Anyway, I started the new diet and supplementation mainly to get rid of candida's control of my life, but not only did I get relief from candida but my eczema and hay fever (pollen allergy) became a thing of the past. While I always had to have the remedies (cream, antihistamines) handy at all times, since I made this change in my life, I haven't needed these meds since 1993.

If I do slack and eat say ice cream (instead of sorbet)--but really, it's when I overdo it--I start to react to pollen, which is a sign my immunity is dropping so I get back on track and that clears. But my eczema has never returned and I really believe it was the change of my diet that helped. Prudent's mention of EFAs being responsible for improvement did make sense coz I've made them part of my life since then.

Coconut oil has helped a few people in the skin forum, so you can't go wrong using this as a moisturizer. I have sang its praises a lot in the skin forum. I haven't used lotion to moisturize since I discovered how well this worked on skin...and why it's "the best moisturizer" according to a website I always link to. I'll return to give the link.

ETA: This is the link I post ad nauseum in the skin forum: http://www.coconut-connections.com/skin_care.htm
And then I found this other one while looking for the previous link: http://hubpages.com/hub/Virgin-Coconut-Oil-the-safest-skin-moisturizer

HTH someone.

Last edited:

laCriolla

I was going to say people with eczema usually have wheat intolerance problems, but I'm glad someone else said it for once :drunk:

anyway OP i second this!!!

My Friend

I was going to say people with eczema usually have wheat intolerance problems, but I'm glad someone else said it for once :drunk:

Since so many AA seem to have this, I wonder if wheat was in the Motherland? Maybe we didnt build up a tolerance for it because it was not in our diet....hummmm

lushlady

Nonie, I totally agree about the steroids making you their "b". I used it for the immediate itch relief because I was scratching my skin off and scratched out hair around the nape of my neck. However, when my skin did heal it was harder, almost callused. I'm not sure if it was the medicine, the skin trauma or both. Also, like many other medicines, it usually doesn't work as well as the first time you use it and you have to keep upping the dosage for the same result. Thankfully, I haven't had a major outbreak in years although I did have a minor patch a few months ago.

I am glad a few of ladies brought up diet, as it took me a while to make this connection in my own case, even after the doctor told me it could be food allergies. I just didn't want to believe it at the time.

To the OP, I feel for your mom. I hope she finds her solution soon. Some people may feel it is just a vanity thing when it involves hair/skin, but when I got ezcema on lips and the apples of my cheeks at the same time I cried about it a lot and didn't go outside for almost a week.