Constant Itching Scalp ((SOS))

TwistNMx

I've been doing okay with my hair routine. Did not change it very much but suddenly my scalp started itching. Started with little itchies and now it's been about a month. Itching has progressed and my scalp is inflamed unless I "wash" my hair daily which I refuse to do. Condish-wash doesn't help. This a.m. I clairfied with my regular staple Giovanni shampoo/baking soda. I feel about 95% relief. This will probably be a constant until a few days from now.

Is there anyone out there experiencing something similar? :look:

The only thing I did differently was wear a "synthetic" instant weave instead of "HH".
I switched from Giovanni temporarily to Aliffia", but this was long before the itching started. It doesn't seem to matter what I use though. :ohwell:

Christelyn

...addendum:

I'm not on any medications and don't have hair lice.

:lachen::lachen:

I have the same issue, but my itchy scalp comes about three days after I wash. Lately I've been PS'ing with no heat, just washing to keep a healthy scalp. Sorry I have no answers for you, but I know Aveda has a line of products geared to help itchy scalp called Scalp Benefits. I'm really close to trying these myself.

JJamiah

U know I have a problem with itching if I go past 7 days of washing, I wash every Friday basically. IF I go to Saturday it feels like I have scabies (figure of speech) I feel like tearing my scalp apart and as soon as I wash it, it is like butter on a sore. Crazy!!! Anybody with some suggestions please help us out.

silenttullip

I've dealt with this in the past. If your scalp is inflamed and you have itching it may be dermatitis or just dryness from the winter or hardwater if you have it. First I'd say, check Aliffia's ingredients (if you haven't already) you may have an allergy, Next, I'd suggest trying darcys scalp conditioner or qhemet's teatree pomade they both helped my itching qb about 90% and darcy's (a lot smoother so you use less) about 99.9% and so does own mixture of teatree oil, grapeseed, & jojoba, grapeseed acts as the carrier or olive oil. Coconut oil is good for an itchy scalp as a prepoo too. For my inflammation using chagrin valley bars TOTALLY cleared it up and mine was pure red almost on my hairline you can get a sample size for like 2.50. I can't wear synthetic wigs because it makes my scalp & skin itch so maybe try switching to human weave it may be an allergy to that too.

GL & HTH

Last edited:

fatimablush

I have the same issue, but my itchy scalp comes about three days after I wash. Lately I've been PS'ing with no heat, just washing to keep a healthy scalp. Sorry I have no answers for you, but I know Aveda has a line of products geared to help itchy scalp called Scalp Benefits. I'm really close to trying these myself.

me too...if they have samples i am going to the aveda store before work and pick some up..

TwistNMx

Normally, I'd have to wash my hair about this time. However, it's like not wanting to cooperate (the scalp).
I tried Aveda a few years ago because someone else had success with it, but unfortunately my hair is not compatible with it. Maybe I'll reconsider and try your suggestion if this insane itching doesn't stop. I try to stick with natural products though.
Thanks

TwistNMx

U know I have a problem with itching if I go past 7 days of washing, I wash every Friday basically. IF I go to Saturday it feels like I have scabies (figure of speech) I feel like tearing my scalp apart and as soon as I wash it, it is like butter on a sore. Crazy!!! Anybody with some suggestions please help us out.

Tuesdays were my day, now I'm like :spinning:
I would scratch my scalp all night.
I'm glad I'm not the only one here. This is what I'm going through now.
I wear my hair in twists 99% of the time, so I haven't really changed the styling either. I'm 100% natural, no chemicals...only natural products (not many) and sore scalp.

TwistNMx

When you scratch your scalp, is there any buildup in your nails?

No. I'm pretty clean. I clarify and don't even use many products. Basically K.I.S.S., so I don't understand this.
In other words, I don't use a lot of product to cause buildup.

Mizani_Mrs

It occasionally happens to me. I can't have or leave NOTHING on my scalp. no oil, nor conditioner or it's gonna itch like crazy in 2 days and then feel enflamed. when it happens I do a water/ACV rinse. Like 20% ACV. leave on for 5mins, rinse out, then your normal styling. and by the 2nd time I do it, the itchies are totally gone.

TwistNMx

I want to massage with peppermint oil and tea tree, but my scalp is just too sore. Maybe I'll try jojoba as suggested.

TwistNMx

It occasionally happens to me. I can't have or leave NOTHING on my scalp. no oil, nor conditioner or it's gonna itch like crazy in 2 days and then feel enflamed. when it happens I do a water/ACV rinse. Like 20% ACV. leave on for 5mins, rinse out, then your normal styling. and by the 2nd time I do it, the itchies are totally gone.

This is me! Yes! Yes!
Could you please tell me how you put this on your hair?
Does the ACV dry out the hair?
Do you use a leave-in afterwards?

L.Brown1114

for me i just put a crap load of EVOO on my scalp with a baggy and im good to go. it may be the change in hair because synthetic breaks me out.

TwistNMx

for me i just put a crap load of EVOO on my scalp with a baggy and im good to go. it may be the change in hair because synthetic breaks me out.

:shocked::nuts: This gives me something to think about. My husband suggested that I may be allergic too. I'll have to experiment more.
Thanks

DigitalRain

Do you all think this could be stress itch? I had a constant itchy scalp several years ago and I was diagnosed with stress itching. Cod Liver Oil capsules really help to alleviate it.

Nameless

This is me! Yes! Yes!
Could you please tell me how you put this on your hair?
Does the ACV dry out the hair?
Do you use a leave-in afterwards?

With me, I wash my scalp with an ACV mix (1 part ACV, 2 parts water). Then I shampoo, DC and rollerset. Afterwards I LIGHTLY oil my scalp with jojoba oil (I use this oil because it is the closest to what the scalp produces naturally). I massage my scalp everyday and 3 or 4 days after washing my hair, I lightly oil my scalp with jojoba oil again.
I do this every week and so far so good :)

Some people heat their jojoba oil and/or mix it with peppermint oil. I've yet to try that.

djclark01

About a year ago I had the same problem. I found a product on the website www.justnaturalskincare.com called "Itchy Scalp Treatment." I woudl put spray this on my scalp and the itching would stop immediately.

Here are the ingredients:

Organic Aloe Vera, Essential Oils of Birch,
Oregano, Manuka, Tree Tea, Rosemary,
Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang, Clary Sage,
Petitgrain, Lemongrass, Neem Oil, Sweet
Orange, Lavender, Geranium, Cajeput, Pine
Needle, Pink Grapefruit Nettle Leaf Extract,
Yucca Leaf Extract, Myrrh Extract,
Camphor

I hope this helps.

Do you all think this could be stress itch? I had a constant itchy scalp several years ago and I was diagnosed with stress itching. Cod Liver Oil capsules really help to alleviate it.

my itching was at its worst when I was studying for my finals, so I do think itching is stress related sometimes. However, the itching hasn't gone and I finished in june. KC itchy scalp glossifier works but its really greasy and it has petroleum.

JJamiah

I do. I had this last week too so I washed my hair with a tea tree shampoo and it was still there and my scalp itches. Does this mean I need to use a clarifying shampoo? Thanks

I would definitely clarify if you shampooed and there is still residue in your hair or on your scalp.

TwistNMx

About a year ago I had the same problem. I found a product on the website www.justnaturalskincare.com called "Itchy Scalp Treatment." I woudl put spray this on my scalp and the itching would stop immediately.

Here are the ingredients:

Organic Aloe Vera, Essential Oils of Birch,
Oregano, Manuka, Tree Tea, Rosemary,
Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang, Clary Sage,
Petitgrain, Lemongrass, Neem Oil, Sweet
Orange, Lavender, Geranium, Cajeput, Pine
Needle, Pink Grapefruit Nettle Leaf Extract,
Yucca Leaf Extract, Myrrh Extract,
Camphor

I hope this helps.

I'm making a b-line right on over there.
Thanks! I'm just itchin' too much.
Hey! maybe I'll mix my own. I forgot about that neem oil. :yep:

TwistNMx

my itching was at its worst when I was studying for my finals, so I do think itching is stress related sometimes. However, the itching hasn't gone and I finished in june. KC itchy scalp glossifier works but its really greasy and it has petroleum.

Sorry to say this, but there are "dangers" in petroleum. Yes. It's accumulative. I've known people effected by this (health), please reconsider.

TwistNMx

I do. I had this last week too so I washed my hair with a tea tree shampoo and it was still there and my scalp itches. Does this mean I need to use a clarifying shampoo? Thanks

I've tried those clarifying shampoos and they are quite drying...at least for me.
I read a blog about 6+ months ago about clarifying with moisturing shampoo. I don't go without it because my scalp feels like a million dollars while I'm doing it. I wish I could share the link, but I did not save it. :rolleyes: