Long Hair Care Forum

Long Hair Care Forum (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/index.php)
-   Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Heat protectant my ! (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=350905)

LadyPaniolo 03-25-2009 08:22 AM

Heat protectant my !

I sprung for that pricey CHI heat protectant, I had my flat iron set at 300, and the result? SUPER SPLIT ENDS. :hot: For the whole time of my healthy hair journey, I avoided heat like the plague and I had zero splits. Then when I flat iron, even using the stupid heat protectant, it's split city. I mean hairs that have a centimeter-long split at the bottom, and each "wing" of the hair is also split! I had to cut off the stupid splits and I'm feeling :wallbash:

My goal was to reach waist length in my longest layer by my 30th b-day (mid-june) and now I don't think I'll reach it. :cry:

I'm gonna put that stupid flat iron AND the useless heat protectant on the barter board and bid them both adieu... good riddance!

gorgeous86 03-25-2009 09:09 AM

Re: Heat protectant my arse!

Which protectant? The CHI Keratin Mist? If so, then yeah, its garbage. You can just smell the alcohol :nono:

LadyPaniolo 03-25-2009 09:12 AM

It wasn't the keratin mist, it was the clear gel-textured one that smells like men's cologne. :perplexed

silk infusion? It's already packed up (we're moving) so I can't just go grab the bottle to see.

Odd One 03-25-2009 09:17 AM

woah! sorry to hear that:( you only did it once? i always thought that split ends happend with the use of heat in an extended periode of time not oever night!

Maybe you already had some splits and the straighter hair helped you notice them?

LadyPaniolo 03-25-2009 09:21 AM

I did use it more than once... maybe 5 times. I was trying to straighten my hair to make it blend with a stupid half wig... I thought wearing the front of my hair slicked back with a headband looked too fake. :ohwell: Now I'm paying the price.

I know I did not have the splits before, due to my reggie. For most of the past year i've been in wigs, and I cornrow my hair underneath the wigs. When I do this, I take my hair in tiny sections and massage Kenra MC into it, then seal. I always keep my eyes peeled for splits. I never had any until I used that :swearing: flat iron. WHY did I mess up my hair???? :cry: It SO wasn't worth it!!!!!

mkd 03-25-2009 09:34 AM

Sorry to hear this! What kind of iron did you use?

LadyPaniolo 03-25-2009 09:35 AM

Sally's GVP generic CHI. I wish I'd never bought it! Grrrr....

msMicaela 03-25-2009 09:55 AM

Girl that chi heat protectant does not work! it dried my hair out and it sat on my hair... i think the alcohol content is tooo high...but it is definately not for my 4a/b hair!!

KhandiB 03-25-2009 09:56 AM

I don't think that using a flat iron can split you that quickly if you didn't already have some split ends to begin with.

PS I would like to suggest Fantasia IC Heat Protectant Spray ...

HoneyDew 03-25-2009 10:00 AM

300 degrees and a heat protectant on hair that is never exposed to heat would not cause splits.

I think you may have already had splits and may be in need of a trim though.

I don't like that chi stuff all that much either, but it us just another silicone product.

I am sure someone will buy them off of you though.

C.Nicole 03-25-2009 10:12 AM

Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you!!! Thats a mess. I like to use it because it prevents my hair from reverting when I flat iron. Usually use it about 1 or 2x a month.

zzirvingj 03-25-2009 10:34 AM

I agree with the others that you "may" have had splits before flat ironing it. I'm sorry to hear this; I know how frustrating it is to deal with split ends. Maybe just dust the splits off for now and try not to flat iron as frequently.

I used the CHI silk infusion before and although I did not like it, I think it was because I used too much of it and as a result my hair didn't come out too straight.

LadyPaniolo 03-25-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msMicaela (Post 7415765)
Girl that chi heat protectant does not work! it dried my hair out and it sat on my hair... i think the alcohol content is tooo high...but it is definately not for my 4a/b hair!!

I agree... and it made me smell like a dude. :perplexed

Quote:

Originally Posted by KhandiB (Post 7415781)
I don't think that using a flat iron can split you that quickly if you didn't already have some split ends to begin with.

PS I would like to suggest Fantasia IC Heat Protectant Spray ...

I know for a fact that I didn't have any splits beforehand. I pay meticulous attention to my hair, and I would have seen them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyDew (Post 7415813)
300 degrees and a heat protectant on hair that is never exposed to heat would not cause splits.

I think you may have already had splits and may be in need of a trim though.

I don't like that chi stuff all that much either, but it us just another silicone product.

I am sure someone will buy them off of you though.

Well, my ends would NOT get straight for anything. So I went over them several times with the flat iron, trying to get them straight. I did this each time I flat ironed. So in effect, my ends were being flat ironed way more than 5 times. :ohwell:

If this stupid flat iron had a throat I'd be choking the spit out of it right now :hot:

gorgeous86 03-25-2009 10:40 AM

You used it 5x in what time period? A month?

Denise11 03-25-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten45 (Post 7415479)
woah! sorry to hear that:( you only did it once? i always thought that split ends happend with the use of heat in an extended periode of time not oever night!

Maybe you already had some splits and the straighter hair helped you notice them?

That was EXACTLY what I was going to say.

Denise11 03-25-2009 10:58 AM

I also believe that you had to already have split ends that you were unaware of. Hair takes a while to develop split ends.

HoneyDew 03-25-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyPaniolo (Post 7416083)
I agree... and it made me smell like a dude. :perplexed

:lol:

Someone here reported that it made her smell like Tyrone.

KhandiB 03-25-2009 11:07 AM

Im just saying, when I have had bad ends, I always have to do extra duty to make the ends look as good as the rest of my hair. Thats just when I get the shears and snip snip, LOL

SlantedEyezMiss2003 03-25-2009 11:33 AM

I haven't had a problem with my GVP version of Chi, but I thought the silk infusion was just that, a silk product for your hair, I didn't think it was a heat protect....I use mizani therma strength strengthening styling serum....and i love it, sorry about your outcome....

ceebee3 03-25-2009 11:42 AM

I don't think the silk infusion is a heat protectant. I use this for my rollersets and I love it. The smell is covered by my other products so I don't notice it. Also, whenever I've tried to flat iron my hair the ends look crazy. I don't do it anymore. I never flat iron without first rollersetting. It comes out ok, when I do it, but gorgeous when the stylist does it. I don't have any flat iron skills.