Long Hair Care Forum

Long Hair Care Forum (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/index.php)
-   Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DooGrow products- they work! (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=16569)

BandB2003 11-19-2003 04:18 AM

DooGrow products- they work!

I met a woman in the beauty supply store and she was telling her friend how DooGrow products really made her hair grow. She said she had thinning edges as well. Anyone have any experience with these products. She says she did not use the oils. She used the products in the jar.

asummertyme 11-19-2003 05:43 AM

Re: DooGrow products- they work!

i dunno, i am skeptical about stuff like that, but i dunno it might....doesnt that stuff have petro...?

LABETT 11-19-2003 10:07 PM

I used DOOGrow products when they first came out for 4 months and it did nothing for my hair.

happyyogi 11-20-2003 08:50 PM

I also started using DooGro when it 1st came out. It worked really well on my hair. It helped with growth and also it seemed fuller! Of course with me being a shampoo/conditioner junkie I decided to try others. But, I remember being at church and a lady tapped me on the shoulder and asked if my hair was "all mine"! http://st1m.longhaircareforum.com/im...ilies/grin.gif Now,they have a few more products to offer. I use to use that tingling growth shampoo and whatever conditioner that 1st came out.

diamoness 11-22-2003 12:27 AM

I had the same results that happyyogi had. My hair grew in thicker, fuller, and seemed much stronger. I used the shampoo----it really does tingle, the conditioner, the leave in, and the medicated grease----the clear one that smells like camphor. I still use the gease and hair oil from time to time. I used the system for about a year and a half. Great, great stuff!!! Not sure if my hair grew any faster, but I sure did grow some extra inches within the 1st year. This was back when I knew nothing about hair care and I used to flat iron my hair 2 times a day.

asummertyme 11-22-2003 03:24 AM

ok..now i gotta pick up a bottle or 2....hope it works for me as well....lol..thnx for the review ladies

nmfsc 11-22-2003 03:50 AM

I have used the creme hairdress and the medicated grease years ago when the product first came out. I liked them at the time. The creme hairdress was very light and give a nice shine to the hair. The medicated grease contained sulfur and camphor and really opened up the scalp. I wouldn't use them now only because I am trying to stay away from products with mineral oil and petroleum. This is a new adventure for me to find products without these ingredients.

jellynote 11-22-2003 06:53 AM

I also use to use Doo Gro when it first came out. It's a good product, but I wouldn't use the grease anymore because of the ingredients, but I still use the leave in.

Dido111 11-22-2003 01:10 PM

Does the medicated grease with sulfur make your scalp tingle?

diamoness 11-24-2003 02:22 AM

It made my scalp feel cool all over.

Supergirl 11-24-2003 02:38 AM

I guess it depends on the person. Someone started a thread about a year ago titled "Doo Grow Don't Do Nothin' " http://st1m.longhaircareforum.com/im...lies/laugh.gif

victorious 07-30-2005 07:57 PM

**Bump***

Today I received a free gift of Doo Grow products through Sophisticate's Black Hair Magazine's Giveaway.

Products:
--Hair Polish Shine Mist, 4.5 oz (I love this)
--Stimulating Growth Oil, 4.5 oz (I used to use this or the anti-itch oil before WGHO)
--Moisturizing Growth Shampoo, 8 oz
--Triple Strength Anti-Breaking Growth Detangler, 10 oz
--Triple Strength Medicated Hair Vitalizer, 4 oz.

I'm not sure if or how to work these products into my regimen yet. I recently reduced the number of products I use, and now I received this freebie...dern PJ demons. :lol:

I'm a little iffy about the medicated hair vitalizer on my scalp. I haven't had dry scalp in about two years, and I don't want to mess that up. Ladies, what's your review on their shampoo and detangler?

brownhaired_bonanza 07-30-2005 08:33 PM

I'm always skeptical when i see any products at the beauty supply with the the words super-gro or doo-grow. Maybe it's the spelling or maybe it's the bombastic boasting on the labels (usually end with !!!), I dunno.

Just my opinion. :)

Diane71 07-30-2005 08:42 PM

I tried the DooGrow products when they first came out and they did nothing for my hair. I used them for about a month and was getting negative results from the stuff. Like somebody said, it all depends on the person and their regimin, but for me personally I stay away from it.

Current hair length: 5 inches past brastrap by December 2005.
4b thick/course strands
http://public.fotki.com/Diane71
pm for password

Cincysweetie 07-30-2005 08:51 PM

They did not speed up my growth and I used them for quite a while. I don't really believe that products can speed up your hair growth!!!! Anyway, I liked the Moisturizing Shampoo, it was a good detangler.

shellzfoshizzle 07-30-2005 08:57 PM

I used some Doo Gro Shampoo and condioner before and it didn't do my hair any justice...my hair wasn't soft and was kind of hair to detangle. I didn't like it.

I have also used the grease...the Medicated vitalizer for thinning edges...it was blue. That aint work.

Then I bought the Original Light formula Grease with Vitamins A, D and E (or something like that). It was an orange grease and I liked that, but I don't use it on a regular basis. Just whenever I am in PJ mode. It is my stash of hair products and when it runs out I won't buy it again.

I have also used the Stimulating Growth Oil. No growth was stimulated. :lol: It was also too watery for my hair.

I don't like Doo Gro products. Not because they didn't "gro" my hair, but because my hair just doesn't use these products well. Not all products work well for everyone. And like CincySweetie said, I don't believe any product can grow hair but a clean scalp, keeping ends fresh and maintaining moisture will help retain length...therefore growth.

Good luck

victorious 07-30-2005 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincysweetie
They did not speed up my growth and I used them for quite a while. I don't really believe that products can speed up your hair growth!!!! Anyway, I liked the Moisturizing Shampoo, it was a good detangler.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not looking for a wonder product, just a maintenance one. :yep:

Someone recommended the anti-itch oil when my scalp flaked and itched badly, and that did it's purpose. I then tried the shine mist and liked it. But then I tried one of their hair creams (don't remember which), and it was too greasy and sticky. :nono:

Since this Doo Gro package is a freebie, I don't mind trying it out. I only had to cough up the 37-cent stamp. :grin:

Thanks for the shampoo review. I think I'll try it out, and then test the detangler too.

victorious 07-30-2005 09:28 PM

Brownhaired_bonanza & Diane71, thanks for giving your reviews and keeping me grounded. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellzfoshizzle
I used some Doo Gro Shampoo and condioner before and it didn't do my hair any justice...my hair wasn't soft and was kind of hair to detangle. I didn't like it.

I have also used the grease...the Medicated vitalizer for thinning edges...it was blue. That aint work.

Then I bought the Original Light formula Grease with Vitamins A, D and E (or something like that). It was an orange grease and I liked that, but I don't use it on a regular basis. Just whenever I am in PJ mode. It is my stash of hair products and when it runs out I won't buy it again.

I have also used the Stimulating Growth Oil. No growth was stimulated. :lol: It was also too watery for my hair.

I don't like Doo Gro products. Not because they didn't "gro" my hair, but because my hair just doesn't use these products well. Not all products work well for everyone. And like CincySweetie said, I don't believe any product can grow hair but a clean scalp, keeping ends fresh and maintaining moisture will help retain length...therefore growth.

Good luck

Shellz, thanks for your review, but why did I envision you rolling your eyes at the bolded parts. :lol:

Welll the free oil is automatically going in my spray bottle with the surge for moisturizing. WHGO is the only oil I put directly on my scalp now. I'm going to keep my usual shampoo at my right hand just in case the Doo Gro shampoo wants to act up. :lol:

Thanks for reinforcing those good hair tips too.

Vitality 07-31-2005 04:58 PM

My sister loves this stuff and she has the whole product line. She said it made her thicker and longer. The last couple of times I saw my sister she was either wearing braids or a wig, so I couldn't say if I notice a difference in her hair.

victorious 08-01-2005 12:17 PM

Ok, I tried the shampoo...Eh! I prefer how my hair feels when I use my regular shampoo. :ohwell:

I like the detangler though. It's not a must have, but it's a keeper along with the shine mist and the oil for my spray bottle. :up:

I checked the ingredients in that Triple Strength Medicated Hair Vitalizer. It has petroleum and some kind of wax in it. I don't want to use anything so heavy on my scalp. I'm gonna leave it alone. :down:

bajanplums1 08-01-2005 01:45 PM

I like their hair grease--the light version.

glamazon386 08-01-2005 02:54 PM

The Triple Strength stuff in the jar I think it was called hair revitalizer or strengthener or something like that worked for my hair. It was the purple one.The hairdresser I was going to a few years ago had recommended it to me and my hair started growing like a weed. I didn't use it that often though bc after a few days it made my hair stink. :ohwell: And I was trying to go 2 weeks between appts without washing so I stopped using it.

asubeauty 08-01-2005 06:06 PM

I used the shampoo and conditioner and experienced tremendous growth. I guess it just depends on the person.

SlantedEyezMiss2003 01-08-2009 05:41 PM

I like doogro grease, I don't know about the rest of their products.

Ms. Alainious 01-08-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glamazon386 (Post 1064066)
The Triple Strength stuff in the jar I think it was called hair revitalizer or strengthener or something like that worked for my hair. It was the purple one.The hairdresser I was going to a few years ago had recommended it to me and my hair started growing like a weed. I didn't use it that often though bc after a few days it made my hair stink. :ohwell: And I was trying to go 2 weeks between appts without washing so I stopped using it.

My hairdresser also told me to use the purple one to grow back a bald patch on my nape....I went back to her sometime later, and she commented on how nicely the section had grown in. But I cant say that the growth can be attributed to the grease or not...

chebaby 01-08-2009 06:17 PM

i have the light purple grease that i was using about 2 months ago inconsistantly. i noticed i have dry scapl now that i stopped putting anything on my scalp and i dont like grease but since that is so light and i liked it i will grease my scalp 2x a week starting tonight.

RosesBlack 01-08-2009 06:44 PM

I used the anti itch oil awhile back and it worked really well. I don't know how much growth it stimulated but my scalp felt so much better I didn't even care about the growth.

LyndseyJK 01-08-2009 07:14 PM

I used the moisturizing shampoo and conditioner when it first came out and I liked it.

greenwings23 01-09-2009 01:52 AM

Hi, all u SL gurls.... I have added more dominican products to my staple list such as Brillantina leave in conditioner white whip cream that smooth edges and keep hair moisturize , universal una bomba, and cinnamon oil good for dry parched hair.......This is great for long stretches 5-6 months......I am currently 9 weeks postrelaxer, I did perform some dusting after 7 months of no trimming...verrry close to SL.....

Esq.2B 01-09-2009 08:38 AM

^^^^ Are you sure you posted in the right thread? :lol:

baddison 01-09-2009 08:41 AM

I absolutely LOVE the Doo Gro Leave-In Growth Treatment!!! I spray it on about 2x per week, then seal it with my butters before I bun. Wow this is an awesome protein leave-in for me. It smells terrific too.

The ingredients are:
Water (Aqua), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Polyquaternium 11, Propylene Glycol, Quaternium 33 and Ethyl Hexanediol, Polysorbate 20, PEG 75 Lanolin, Isostearamidopropyl Morpholine Lactate, Propylene Glycol and Diazolidinyl Urea and Methylparaben and Propylparaben, Sodium E.D.T.A., Fragrance (Parfum), Cherry Bark, Chamomile, Neutral Henna, Goldenseal, Calendula, Hops, Horsetail Plant Extract.

I like that protein is the second ingredient....so don't over-do it...I am experiencing nice soft-but-strong hair, almost-non-existent breakage, and awesome growth with this product as part of my BunForGrowth regimen.:yep:

Solitude 01-09-2009 08:41 AM

I used to use DooGro a long time ago. I was happy with the products. The only reason I stopped is...is....because I learned about so many other products on this board, I guess.

The tingling growth shampoo felt lovely on my scalp. I still have some of that shampoo :scratchch.

FAMUDva 01-09-2009 08:49 AM

I certainly worked for me a few years back when I used them. I used the grease :blush:, shampoo and conditioner for about a year and it helped me grow my hair without problem. This was pre-LHCF, so I was just using them because my DH suggested the products based on someone he worked with. He would grease my scalp every Sunday and the stuff would tingle.

I know "grease" is like a sin around here, but I can tell you it worked for me. I stopped using it after I got to a certain length and it didn't seem as effective as it once was.

FAMUDva 01-09-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamoness (Post 238923)
I had the same results that happyyogi had. My hair grew in thicker, fuller, and seemed much stronger. I used the shampoo----it really does tingle, the conditioner, the leave in, and the medicated grease----the clear one that smells like camphor. I still use the gease and hair oil from time to time. I used the system for about a year and a half. Great, great stuff!!! Not sure if my hair grew any faster, but I sure did grow some extra inches within the 1st year. This was back when I knew nothing about hair care and I used to flat iron my hair 2 times a day.

:yep: Yep, I used the SAME stuff! The whole line ;)

FAMUDva 01-09-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dido111 (Post 239225)
Does the medicated grease with sulfur make your scalp tingle?

:yep: Yep, it sure does... so does the tingling shampoo they have. I loved it.

JessCNU 01-09-2009 10:18 AM

one of the oil's doesn't have any mineral oil or petroleum in it. I forgot which one (it says it on the bottle) My friend swears by this stuff and her hair is really long. I just don't like the smell.

baddison 01-09-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessCNU (Post 6696329)
one of the oil's doesn't have any mineral oil or petroleum in it. I forgot which one (it says it on the bottle) My friend swears by this stuff and her hair is really long. I just don't like the smell.

I think you're referring to the Doo Gro MegaThick Growth Oil:Helps thicken and strengthen weak, damaged hair. Its special blend of oat protein, oat extract, meadow-foam seed oil, vitamins, pure herbs, shea butter, and botanical thickeners penetrate the hair shaft providing needed nourishment for strong, healthy growing hair. DOO GRO® Mega Thick Growth Oil is safe for children and can be used on all types of hair including color treated, relaxed, and braided.

Here are the ingredients:
Soybean Oil, Soy Methyl Ester, Sweet Almond Oil, Oat Extract, Oat Protein, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, SheaButter Extract, Fragrance, Propylparaben, BHA, Tea Tree Oil, Retinol (Vitamin A), Tocopherol (Vitamin E) Matricaria Extract, Goldenseed Extract, Hops Extract, Soap Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Henna Extract, Horsetail Plant Extract, Safflower Oil

I've never tried it, but would love to hear from folks who have....:yep:

LovingLengths 01-09-2009 10:25 AM

I often use the doogro moisturizers over all my other doogro products...

Soul♥Flower 01-09-2009 10:26 AM

I've never really been a grease person, but I my necie had me put some of the blue colored grease in her hair and I really like the consistency of it. It feels/looks different from the "blue magic" greases I'm used to seeing.

This thread is right on time b/c my head has been itching like crazy all of a sudden! I guess it's the wet hair + cold dry air combination. I may try using this on my scalp on wash days and see if it helps.

Soul♥Flower 01-09-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddison (Post 6696373)
I think you're referring to the Doo Gro MegaThick Growth Oil:Helps thicken and strengthen weak, damaged hair. Its special blend of oat protein, oat extract, meadow-foam seed oil, vitamins, pure herbs, shea butter, and botanical thickeners penetrate the hair shaft providing needed nourishment for strong, healthy growing hair. DOO GRO® Mega Thick Growth Oil is safe for children and can be used on all types of hair including color treated, relaxed, and braided.

Here are the ingredients:
Soybean Oil, Soy Methyl Ester, Sweet Almond Oil, Oat Extract, Oat Protein, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, SheaButter Extract, Fragrance, Propylparaben, BHA, Tea Tree Oil, Retinol (Vitamin A), Tocopherol (Vitamin E) Matricaria Extract, Goldenseed Extract, Hops Extract, Soap Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Henna Extract, Horsetail Plant Extract, Safflower Oil

I've never tried it, but would love to hear from folks who have....:yep:

I tried it a couple of times before, in the past. It never really impressed me...it doesn't really "soak in". I guess b/c the main ingredient is soybean oil (which is also known in the kithcen as vegetable oil...fyi) and soybean oil is too light for me.