PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else with toddlers??

sky_blu
01-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Ok Im doing some shopping for my 3 year old baby girl and I just cant find anything thats functional for her. I used to dress her very nice but the past 1 year I have definitely been slacking on having her dressed how I like her to be. This could just be a phase because when she was first born I had her in designer everything but now...Im just ashamed at the clothes she wears I mean she decent but I just wish I could find her something better. Her school let her put food and write all over herself which is another reason Ive been put off on buying her better clothes because they let her ruin everything I work hard to buy. I love the school as far as her education but I hate that they dont take the time to put her on a apron to eat and paint. I swear like every shirt she has, has a stain on it either from tomato sauce from something she ate or paint and stuff. This is just really frustrating that I cant dress my daughter nice to school without her coming home looking a mess. But I guess I shouldve got the hint when the director told me to "bring her in Goodwill clothes" (yes she said that word for word). Yes I understand school isnt a fashion show but I like for my daughter to look nice. Does anybody have a problem like this as well?? *sorry for the rant but it was needed* :lol:

MsKendra
01-20-2006, 10:50 PM
You shouldn't have a problem finding cute girl clothes they are everywhere...even Walmart. I can say that I have a very hard time finding nice looking clothes for my 2 year old son. Stores discrimianate against little boys I tell you. EVERY store has a huge section for girls and a little corner area for boy clothes..lol I've resorted to letting his dad shop for him.

I do feel you on the whole designer thing it's soooo cute when they are young but when those lil rugrats start outgrowing things left and right its not so cute :lol: Unfortunately my husband does not see it that way and insists on Nike this and Nike that.

You said it best yourself that your child is in school to learn and not to model (although I bet she is a cutie). Where do you usually buy her clothes from? It would be wise for you to dress her in more reasonably priced items to go to school (and save other items for when she's not at school) since as you said they allow her to mess up whatever you put on her. Either that or insist that they cover her up with a drape of some sort.

Even though we want kids to be clean and neat all the time it's just not going to happen..especially at 3. Your story reminds me of the Dr. Phill episode where the mom wouldn't let her children get their play clothes dirty. :lachen: She was a mess.

mermaid
01-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Girl- she's a BABY! They get dirtier and dirtier as they get bigger and bigger!
What in the world does she need designer or high fashion clothes for?? That baby doesn't know or care that she is wearing expensive clothes, she's gonna make her mess no matter what she wears.
It's not practical and not reasonable to think they won't get dirty!
It's not up the the school to keep designer clothes clean and they warned you, they won't, so put 'em in clothes that can get dirty and tossed out.
She can still wear nice clothes that aren't for showing off in, but after raising 4 kids I tell ya, the really nice clothes are for special events (and they most likely STILL got dirty!), otherwise they went to school in SERVICEABLE clothes; they went to school clean and neat, came home fairly dirty, clothes were tossed in the washer if the dirt wasn't too deeply imbedded or in the "playclothes" pile or in the trash if it was a lost cause, lol!!

sky_blu
01-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Well right now we are down to Old Navy and Target, which I have been catching the clothes luckily on sale but dang I just want her to be Ralph Lauren baby again lol but to see my 38 dollar dress gone down the drain after one wear is ridiculous. I see the Ecko and Baby Phat clothes for toddlers and I just want to buy then I think about those stains that wont come out. :( I dont know I guess Im a label whore but like name brand clothes.

Now MsKendra, I could go in the store and pick out fifty boy things like that. I think they are so much easier to buy for :lol: (it could be because I have a girl) especially being that alot of their clothes come in sets and you pick out a nice polo shirt, some jeans or shorts, Jordans, and they good to go. They especially have the best kicks and a wider selection to chose from. If I ever have another child I want a boy just to buy him shoes. :lol:

BTW, what are some other stores that offer affordable kids clothing?? :confused:

Sistaslick
01-20-2006, 11:18 PM
ITA with the other ladies... I am slowly learning that the hard way myself my kids are 3 and 1. I feel the poster about the boy clothes too! Its just not fair! I have to look high and low for cute boy clothes:cry3: With my daughter-- just about everything is cute and the selection is huge.:D

But at 3, all that kid is trying to do is play! Spilling stuff is a part of 3 year old life! And I won't mention how my 1 year old switches into about 3 different sets of clothes per day with all her messes:lol: I head right to Target rack up on cute little tees and matching short bottoms and call it a day. We save the cute name brand stuff for going to visit relatives, pictures, special occasions, etc. But for shoes, thats a little different. I do like to make sure they are sturdy and of good quality-- Nike and Reebok work best for that and aren't too too expensive. Now, I'm not the type of mom to have them in Nikes coming home as infants from the hospital though. Its cute, but a lil much for me:grin: Once they get to really pulling up and moving about, then I spring for the good shoes. They wear uniforms at my son's school so I don't have the issue with personal clothes getting messy- thank goodness. I just toss that stuff in the washer and move right along:lol:

SweetCaramel1
01-20-2006, 11:24 PM
girl, i had a problem with the "bring her in old clothes rule" at first but after awhile it was a relief! i was the same as you. girl/spoiled to death/pretty her up for the first year or so. after awhile, without being i asked, i noticed when she was learning to eat she would be a big mess. and the daycare provider did put a bib on her! it's so hard to keep them clean when they snack, roll all over the ground/floor and play outside, etc...

so i went out and purchased alot of jogging suits and comfortable clothes and guess what??? i saved alot of time from not having to "shout it out" and big time $$$. those cute outfits, stockings and dress shoes all add up. and i'm sure it's more comfortable for my daughter. i still dress her up but when "we" are together. that way i can enjoy the outfits i purchased and keep her clean myself.

in time when she's out of toddler mode you can reinvest in her wardrobe.

sky_blu
01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Ok thanks ladies for the responses I went right to Target today and bought (unintentionally lol) her a couple of outfits. I got 4 of and a shirt for 53 bucks :eek: I couldnt believe it I usually walk out with 1 1/2 outfits in other stores. They had cute little tees for 3.99 shorts 6.99 sets 14.99 :eek: I was so proud of myself.

shellzfoshizzle
01-22-2006, 03:42 PM
have you been to The Childrens Place? They have good stuff for cheap, but it's great quality.

SexySin985
01-22-2006, 04:53 PM
You shouldn't have a problem finding cute girl clothes they are everywhere...even Walmart. I can say that I have a very hard time finding nice looking clothes for my 2 year old son. Stores discrimianate against little boys I tell you. EVERY store has a huge section for girls and a little corner area for boy clothes..lol I've resorted to letting his dad shop for him.

I do feel you on the whole designer thing it's soooo cute when they are young but when those lil rugrats start outgrowing things left and right its not so cute :lol: Unfortunately my husband does not see it that way and insists on Nike this and Nike that.

You said it best yourself that your child is in school to learn and not to model (although I bet she is a cutie). Where do you usually buy her clothes from? It would be wise for you to dress her in more reasonably priced items to go to school (and save other items for when she's not at school) since as you said they allow her to mess up whatever you put on her. Either that or insist that they cover her up with a drape of some sort.

Even though we want kids to be clean and neat all the time it's just not going to happen..especially at 3. Your story reminds me of the Dr. Phill episode where the mom wouldn't let her children get their play clothes dirty. :lachen: She was a mess.

You are so right! I have 2 boys (a 3yr old and a 2yr old) and I get so frustrated when I go shopping for them. Every single store I go to I can find something cute for a girl but when it comes to shopping for adorable boy clothes its like searching for a needle in a hay stack.

I get my kids house/play/when-they-start-going-to-school clothes from walmart, target, Kmart etc. But when they are going to church, parties, special events then thats the only time I go to big department stores:ohwell:

rozlips
01-22-2006, 07:47 PM
I have the hardest time shopping for my son. I can't find cute things for him. He winds up looking like a skateboarder. Dh loves the look, and it works for him, but I prefer something a little nicer. As for stains, I only hae one word; Oxi-wash. I put Spray and Wash on the stain, throw it in the washing machine with Tide and Oxi-wash and let it soak in the washing machine overnight. The next morning I finish the wash cycle and they're spotless. I even got carrots out of an outfit my sisterinlaw gave me. That stain was probably at least a year old! Try it, you might be able to save more stuff.

Hadiyah
02-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Well right now we are down to Old Navy and Target, which I have been catching the clothes luckily on sale but dang I just want her to be Ralph Lauren baby again lol but to see my 38 dollar dress gone down the drain after one wear is ridiculous. I see the Ecko and Baby Phat clothes for toddlers and I just want to buy then I think about those stains that wont come out. :( I dont know I guess Im a label whore but like name brand clothes.

Now MsKendra, I could go in the store and pick out fifty boy things like that. I think they are so much easier to buy for :lol: (it could be because I have a girl) especially being that alot of their clothes come in sets and you pick out a nice polo shirt, some jeans or shorts, Jordans, and they good to go. They especially have the best kicks and a wider selection to chose from. If I ever have another child I want a boy just to buy him shoes. :lol:

BTW, what are some other stores that offer affordable kids clothing?? :confused:

Guess what I have a toddler and do both, I grew up as a label whore and her father is even worse, my daughter is 21/2 and has a fur coat!,, let me tell you something, like ms Kendra said, they get dirtier and dirtier,, here's how I conquered....have her wear the goodwill and less pricey stuff to school, on days that you may have to go somewhere with her after school have something already packed with you or take it to school and ask if the teacher could change her clothes at the end of the day.....that may work, I do it all the time, I just dress my baby when I pick her up, and she's back to diva mode!

princesmich
02-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Ladies,
Well I briefly read some of the post, I personally have learned after my daughter not to repeat the same mistakes with my son who is now 9 months old, with my 5 yr old daughter I shopped at the expensive stores for her and bought everything under the sun. Back then my husband and I were working. Now i'm a stay at home mom and pays for private school for the 5 yr old. I now only shop when macy's have a sale and I get Tommy H shirts for $2, that's right ladies got to know when to shop. I go to Carter's when they have sales, gymboree have really inexpensive clothing in their sales section that are georgeous. when i'm through with the clothing I put them on ebay. We have to be wise about our spending gals it's only clothing and it's not a reflection of the heart. Dont' get your kids hooked on lables.

MsKendra
02-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Dont' get your kids hooked on lables.

Very good advice! My husband buys our son (just turned 2) Nike and Jordan everything. I mean a nice pair of shoes every once in awhile are nice but don't get the boy so used to wearing Nike/Jordan that if you do buy him shoes from Walmart or Payless that he's not appreciative. My husbands whole reason for buying him nice things is because he didn't have them growing up (huge family of 8 siblings!). IMO kids feet grow so fast and having EVERY pair of shoes name brand is pretty pointless.

It's getting pretty bad to the point where if we lay a certain outfit out for him to wear he KNOWS which shoes he wants to wear. :perplexed

good2uuuu
02-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I hit Taget, Burlington, the outlets, and clearance sales at Old NAvy, etc. I also shop at children's re-sale stores and consignment stores. Once Upon a Child, to be specific. Both my kids had and have a lot of great stuff, brand name, that did not cost a lot.

facets
02-11-2006, 03:49 AM
our older son is 2 and we get his stuff from Target, Kiabi(and some other inexpensive euro companies when we're there), occasionally Macy's or BHV.

He's always into something messy so his nice clothes mostly hang in the closet. my MIL and my mom buy them(the baby is 4mos now..lovely diaper blow-outs and such :P) these super-cute outfits that i'm afraid to put on them. i have to wash everything to bits too.

In conclusion, the 2yr. old often looks 'like an orphan' as my mom sez. oh well.:lol: i just think that anything too fancyschmancy for this age group is setting yourself up for frustration.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/p255b18b453fce6c40a135d104ec91b20/f05ecccb.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/p07953419c069f183d16d363374f8821c/f05ecbce.jpg

rmwms
02-11-2006, 05:49 AM
You just have to learn the balance. After the first day of daycare I learned NOT to send her in her nice clothes. I brought clothes that I didn't mind getting messing for daycare. I saved all the good clothes for when we went out and weekends.