PDA

View Full Version : Women of the Bible, let's discuss....

Pages : [1] 2

sidney
08-06-2010, 09:48 AM
The women in the bible served many roles, some in leadership others served in more background roles. Yet they were included in the bible for a reason. What virtues can we highlight from these women? Please respond to these 3 questions.

1. Who are your favorite women of the bible?

2. What virtues did they have that were most memorable to you.

3. What did they do that has made an impact on you in helping you to become a better person?

I'll go first.

One of my favorite women of the bible is Dorcas (Tabitha)

Dorcas was a woman of service and spent all of her time dedicated to the needs of others. She made clothes and helped the poor and because of her service she was well beloved in her community. She fell sick and died and the community was mourned and grieved, because of the good person she was. The Apostle Peter was moved by the story of Dorcas and revived her with a miraculous story of healing that often isn't told about.

3. What did they do that has made an impact on you.
Her selflessness made the greatest impact on me, and how much she was adored by her community (Joppa). For a woman to be admired that way she must have been a very caring and selfless person. I also value how Dorcas used her gift to serve the body of Christ. Our gifts should bring glory to God and serve those around us, especially believers.

Someone wrote a nice summary about Dorcas, I will post it here: http://www.experiencingworship.com/articles/women/2001-6-Dorcas--.html

sidney
08-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Oh wow, I just discovered Lydia. She was a successful business woman (making clothes) and she was very successful, as she had many servants. Lydia became instrumental in providing hospitality for Paul and Silas. She got saved, and her entire household ended up getting saved because of this. As a result of her conversion, the first church opened in Phillipi. Here is more of he story: http://www.watton.org/wftk/teaching/lydia.htm

SND411
08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Great thread!

I will contribute soon.

topsyturvy86
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
This is a really good thread! I don't have much to contribute so i'll just listen (read) and learn :yep:

Spring
08-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Deborah

Her faith when God's people were oppressed and demoralized is most memorable to me.

3. What did they do that has made an impact on you in helping you to become a better person?

Inspite of the fact that Israel was oppressed by a cruel nation with a strong military, Deborah believed God's promise and her faith empowered men and women.

SND411
08-06-2010, 03:48 PM

Mary Magdalene

Loyalty to Jesus. Even though she was not one of the twelve "main" disciples, she was one of the most loyal to Christ. I think that speaks volumes. I loved how she was present during His crucifixion when others ran away. No wonder Christ appeared to her even before the twelve (minus Judas).

I learned that it is not always about being center stage. Be a good disciple even if people do not acknowledge you. People fight over who gets to be preacher/pastor/front; but sometimes its simple the things like caring for the poor, sick, supporting the disadvantage, washing disciples feet, etc. behind the scenes that make all the difference.

nique3
08-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow wonderful thread.....

Spring
08-06-2010, 04:08 PM

Huldah

Dedicated to God

In a time of national crisis and confusion, she with clarity declared the will of God. These women are beautiful, humble and surrendered to Christ.

sidney
08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
This is a really good thread! I don't have much to contribute so i'll just listen (read) and learn :yep:

Topsy, now I know you remember atleast one woman from the bible, join on in!

sidney
08-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Deborah

Her faith when God's people were oppressed and demoralized is most memorable to me.

Inspite of the fact that Israel was oppressed by a cruel nation with a strong military, Deborah believed God's promise and her faith empowered men and women.

I remember reading up on Deborah once but I forgot what she did. I looked her up just now and I discovered that she was one of the few women in the bible who were named as a prophet. She was also a leader, and judge of Isareal during the reign of Barak (chuckle), many people can to her to settle disputes. It also seems that she helped to organize and lead the military that you shared about. Thanks for sharing!

sidney
08-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Mary Magdalene

Loyalty to Jesus. Even though she was not one of the twelve "main" disciples, she was one of the most loyal to Christ. I think that speaks volumes. I loved how she was present during His crucifixion when others ran away. No wonder Christ appeared to her even before the twelve (minus Judas).

I learned that it is not always about being center stage. Be a good disciple even if people do not acknowledge you. People fight over who gets to be preacher/pastor/front; but sometimes its simple the things like caring for the poor, sick, supporting the disadvantage, washing disciples feet, etc. behind the scenes that make all the difference.

There are many Mary's. There is Mary, mother of Jesus. Mary Magdalene, the one Jesus stopped the people from stoning. And of course, Martha's sister, Mary of Bethany. I always remembered Mary of Bethany for 'sitting and taking Jesus in" while Martha was being a busy bee trying to serve Jesus.

sidney
08-06-2010, 06:08 PM

Huldah

Dedicated to God

In a time of national crisis and confusion, she with clarity declared the will of God. These women are beautiful, humble and surrendered to Christ.

Wow, I have never heard of her before. But from what I read she throughly knew the scriptures and King Josiah sought her wisdom as to how the nation should obey the law. I know Josiah was one of the few good kings during that period so maybe she helped him. She is also a prohetess and told Josiah what would happen if Israel did not obey God. Here is the whole story, I enjoyed it: http://religiousreading.blogspot.com/2007/06/bible-woman-huldah.html

topsyturvy86
08-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Topsy, now I know you remember atleast one woman from the bible, join on in!

Hmmm ... I actually do! :)

Esther

Her courage, confidence, and love for her people. She was strong a beautiful.

Her faith and courage in the whole situation with Haman, her devovion to her uncle and her people, her willingess to be obedient to God and seek His favour before making a move and waiting for His timing.

phynestone
08-06-2010, 07:25 PM

Abigail and Ruth

Courage, determination and faith

Abigail appeased David and his men after her husband said some mean things about him and his men. She became skilled at damage control. Ruth decided to follow her mother-in-law back to her people and home after her husband died instead of leaving like her sister. They were both greatly rewarded in time.

I've learned that sometimes you have to take leaps of faith and don't be afraid of the unknown. Even if you haven't done anything wrong, by taking responsibility for the actions of others, humbling yourself and just APOLOGIZING can go a LONG way with people. It's very hard for some people to admit they're wrong. (Abigail was not in her case, it was her husband)

luthiengirlie
08-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I do not know the name of this woman. But I LIKE her! She was. GANGSTA!:grin: :lachen: THIS ARMY some kinda Ite. Attacked Isreal, they were freakin out! So this woman kinda seduced dude and then drove a nail stake into his head. And Isreal was saved. I need to find the scrips!

Laela
08-06-2010, 10:36 PM
^^^ :lachen: yeah....love that story! That was Jael.... Judges 4

luthiengirlie
08-06-2010, 10:42 PM
This shows we women can be warriors in His service!

Laela
08-06-2010, 10:57 PM

Esther and the Woman with the issue of blood

For Esther it is her loyalty to her people, her family, no matter what. Loyalty can take someone a long way because it stems from Love, in which there is commitment, obedience and Trust. Her Love for God kept her living out of Fear, to the point she'd lay down her life to save others. That's her most admirable trait -- bravery. She also exhibited the Fruit of the Spirit. Her story is a clear blue print, to me, for what it is to live a life dedicated to God's will.

For the woman with the issue of blood, it was her Faith. She believed she was healed before touching Jesus' garment and she pressed on against all odds for her deliverance. Her body followed her mind. :yep:

Esther lived a life of obedience. And she believed that God was with her, which enabled her bravery to face death to save others. It's a powerful thing to know God is with you and to BELIEVE that greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world..... Believing this is what helps me walk in Love.

The woman with the issue of blood was a simple woman. She wanted something from God and she exercised her faith. She too faced death - being trampled by the crowd - to get close enough to a man she BELIEVED was God, walking on Earth. She could've complained that crowd was too thick and get left behind or killed as a result. But she absolutely refused to miss out so she took action. Her most notable trait: determination.

sidney
08-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Abigail and Ruth

Courage, determination and faith

Abigail appeased David and his men after her husband said some mean things about him and his men. She became skilled at damage control. Ruth decided to follow her mother-in-law back to her people and home after her husband died instead of leaving like her sister. They were both greatly rewarded in time.

I've learned that sometimes you have to take leaps of faith and don't be afraid of the unknown. Even if you haven't done anything wrong, by taking responsibility for the actions of others, humbling yourself and just APOLOGIZING can go a LONG way with people. It's very hard for some people to admit they're wrong. (Abigail was not in her case, it was her husband)

Yes, two great women! I love Abigail's story, she was a nice and wise woman married to a fool....but eventually ended up marrying David. Ruth has so many women on a quest to be found by Boaz. Thanks for sharing!

sidney
08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I do not know the name of this woman. But I LIKE her! She was. GANGSTA!:grin: :lachen: THIS ARMY some kinda Ite. Attacked Isreal, they were freakin out! So this woman kinda seduced dude and then drove a nail stake into his head. And Isreal was saved. I need to find the scrips!

Wow Jael huh, that don't teach that one at sunday school LOL! Thanks for sharing.