PDA

View Full Version : How do you get stylish???

luvn_life
04-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Ok so to be honest I dress nice... But there is truly a difference between dressing nice and having style. To me when someone has style they are just so fly... And I don't have it.

Please tell me how one can achieve style. I hope it is something that I can practice. I really love fashion but it just doesn't seem to come natural to me. When I look at Bleed for Fashion, Fashion Bananas and Dulce Candy's blogs it just looks so effortless to me and I want that.

HELP!!!

Gracias in Advance:grin:

Uber
04-24-2010, 03:24 AM
I had more style ( I think, although some may disagree) when I was smaller (size 2-4). I am still getting used to my current figure (size 6). I could tell just by looking at the item of clothing on the hanger whether something would suit me. I tend to only buy one piece of a fashionable item so that I don't always have the same look. I also played up to my personality and figure. In other words, I am girly tomboy and have an athletic figure and I like to do sexy. When I am small I have a prepubescent boys figure (no hips, no breast etcetc) and plain hard cuts with a pair of killer heels can really suit me where on others they don't do anything for them. this suits me better than styles that are supposed to accentuate a girly figure. Mainly I think style is down to knowing your body type.

ONAMSHN
04-24-2010, 08:35 AM
*taking notes*

p381
04-24-2010, 09:42 AM
To me when someone has style they are just so fly... And I don't have it.

But how do you know?
Maybe other people think you are stylish!
Can you upload some photo's of yourself - for us to see?

phynestone
04-24-2010, 11:57 AM
I get my inspiration from the people I see on the street and my classmates. Magazines, websites and stores are also helpful. From them, I learn about colors, patterns and fabrics that work well with one another and some that don't. When I shop, I always manage to find cute things here and there, but after trial and error, I've learned what works for my body. That's actually one of the hardest lesson I've had to learn when it came to fashion ans style. I'd also like to add that it's best to focus on building a base with classic items (little black dress, nice skirt, pearl necklace) and then start to incorporate color and trendy items here and there if you like. Is there an individual whose style you like? What do you like to wear? Does it change according to your mood, the weather? If you need assistance, there are personal shoppers and stylists at certain department stores that can help you. Also, students at fashion schools and department in college can be of help and so is the internet! Do a search on 'style' or 'fashion' or 'basics' in this forum. I've received a TON of help just in this forum. Hope this helps.

luvn_life
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
But how do you know?
Maybe other people think you are stylish!
Can you upload some photo's of yourself - for us to see?

LoL... They do think I am. But, I wouldn't expect them to understand because they are not stylish to me. They just dress nice. I haven't really done anything recently so I don't have any pics. But, like I said I dress nice. For anyone who don't understand what I mean here's an example: Gabrielle Union dresses nice... but Kerry Washington has style. Even though its not my style she has it. Halle Berry has style. Every now and then I will wear something and feel stylish. But, I want that feeling more often than not.

luvn_life
04-24-2010, 01:19 PM
I get my inspiration from the people I see on the street and my classmates. Magazines, websites and stores are also helpful. From them, I learn about colors, patterns and fabrics that work well with one another and some that don't. When I shop, I always manage to find cute things here and there, but after trial and error, I've learned what works for my body. That's actually one of the hardest lesson I've had to learn when it came to fashion ans style. I'd also like to add that it's best to focus on building a base with classic items (little black dress, nice skirt, pearl necklace) and then start to incorporate color and trendy items here and there if you like. Is there an individual whose style you like? What do you like to wear? Does it change according to your mood, the weather? If you need assistance, there are personal shoppers and stylists at certain department stores that can help you. Also, students at fashion schools and department in college can be of help and so is the internet! Do a search on 'style' or 'fashion' or 'basics' in this forum. I've received a TON of help just in this forum. Hope this helps.

I like the way Hilary Duff dresses. I like the way Kourtney Kardashian, Delmy from Fashion Bananas blog, and Dulce from Dulce Candy blog dress. And really that's not gonna help because none of them dress the same. But I like to dress California cool with a New York sophistication. SOrry if I lost you...

Thanks... You all have some really great tips!

SailorWifey
04-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I like the way Hilary Duff dresses. I like the way Kourtney Kardashian, Delmy from Fashion Bananas blog, and Dulce from Dulce Candy blog dress. And really that's not gonna help because none of them dress the same. But I like to dress California cool with a New York sophistication. SOrry if I lost you...

Thanks... You all have some really great tips!

Ooooo I like that. California Cool w/ New York Sophistication...add a bit of Southern Bell and I think I know what I want...lol

phynestone
04-24-2010, 01:30 PM
No, you didn't lose me. I think with trial and error, you'll figure it out.

LifeafterLHCF
04-26-2010, 12:50 AM
I think fashion is all relative..I do things outfit wise that aren't the norm for bigger girls ie colors,stripes,patterns etc and I just put stuff together..I love doing my week clothing on the weekend where I see a color and think of an outfit and jewels,shoes to go with it..heck even what hair..you have to really know you and what you like..their is fashionable and then their is trendy..many of the young bloggers are trendy..some are actually fashionable..trendy is easy bc it's all really prepackaged..fashion is when you go to the thrift store and see a belt and make an outfit..

p381
04-26-2010, 06:18 AM
For anyone who don't understand what I mean here's an example: Gabrielle Union dresses nice... but Kerry Washington has style. Even though its not my style she has it.

I think that Kerry's style is a bit more "trendy" than Gabrielle's......but i personally think both of them have style!
But that's my opinion.

For example, many people think Kate Moss is stylish and there are a lot of people who think otherwise.
Maybe like beauty,.......... style is also in the eye of the beholder.http://st1m.longhaircareforum.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

genesis132
04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I think it's just something that people have naturally. I consider myself stylish (or I've been told). I can be shopping and pick up something that ladies have passed up on, on the racks and tweak it...and turn it into something, where other people will be asking "where did you get that?"....Alot of celebrities are not stylish by nature...but hire Stylists to make them appear stylish. I would love to be a personal stylist.