PDA

View Full Version : The Curlformers Tips Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Vintageglam
03-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Ladies a few questions for ya for the curlformers:

1. How long does it take you to roll up ?
2. How many curlformers on average do you use? (I am buying 40)
3. How long does it take to dry under a hood dryer?
4. How many needles did you buy?
5. Have you had any damage or have the curlformers increased the health of your hair?

TIA Ladies :grin:

catgurl
03-20-2010, 05:21 AM
I like them a lot. But I haven't gotten them to last more than a day. They take too much energy to put in for a one day deal!

I'd agree! But have you tried using gel or setting lotion to make it last? It worked for me.

Ladies a few questions for ya for the curlformers:

TIA Ladies :grin:

Thanks for your questions PR. Here are my answers:

1. How long does it take you to roll up ? It takes time to get the hang of it. 1st time it took me over an hour! But I made a lot of mistakes and had to redo it. Now it takes me about 45min. When I used flexirods I could never do my whole head in less than 45 min, so I'm satisfied.

2. How many curlformers on average do you use? (I am buying 40) I need 46 of the long and wide. I have fine hair but lots of it. It is better to use small sections cuz large sections won't fit and your hair will get caught. Ouch!:nono:

3. How long does it take to dry under a hood dryer? Haven't tried this yet. I haven't used any heat whatsoever since Oct. I love that you can get silky smooth results just with air-drying overnight. You must let the CF completely dry though! Otherwise its HAM city!

4. How many needles did you buy? The set comes with two needles. I only used one needle but since one of posters above mentioned loading up extra needles, I'll try this in the future.

5. Have you had any damage or have the curlformers increased the health of your hair? I found that split-ends are more noticible with the cf. (Compared to twist-outs) But I know I had these before from blowdryer abuse so I just dust them.

I wouldn't say that cf "increased the health" of my hair. But flexirods only worked with heat for me and I liked having the styling option. I would never have been able to go heat free for so long without cf!:grin:

blackbarbie986
03-20-2010, 01:35 PM
^^^ your set came with two hooks, mine only came with one. anyone else got two hooks in their box?

I have problems seperating my curls, they get puffy or lose their definition no matter what holding product I've used. Anyone got tips?

catgurl
03-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I have problems seperating my curls, they get puffy or lose their definition no matter what holding product I've used. Anyone got tips?

Hmm, I haven't had this problem. I use a cone-free gel like the one by Samy. Great hold and a little goes a long way. Then I use my fingers to separate a few curls into two pieces.

In my research, someone suggested using a wide tooth comb to separate. I plan to try this on my next set sometime this week.

Enyo
03-20-2010, 03:11 PM
1. How long does it take you to roll up ?

About 45 minutes - could be shorter if I didn't watch TV while I did it.

2. How many curlformers on average do you use? (I am buying 40)

36 - mostly long and wide, but I use 8 long and narrow in the front to frame my face.

3. How long does it take to dry under a hood dryer?

1:15 if I don't get up at all.

4. How many needles did you buy?

1, but I'd been thinking about using more to make the process faster. Sometimes I go through sections of my head with loose rubber bands so I can just pull them off and pop the roller on. Sectioning the hair properly is the biggest time consuming step for me. I can reload pretty quickly.

5. Have you had any damage or have the curlformers increased the health of your hair?

The only near damage is when I tried to yank my hair through (stupid, I know). Once I learned that I was sectioning to big, then everything was fine. I feel curlforming is less damaging than other styles. I lose hair easily because of my medications and there only are few hairs in the sink when I'm done.

Fhrizzball
03-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I did a curlformer set awhile back. You can see the pics in my blog. Even with setting lotion it didn't seem to last long (used lottabody) I have to play with the ratios I suppose. It turned dread-locy quick too but I was at a lost on how to sleep in it. I still like it though I just need to tweak it some more.

Sorry for the size

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Kusare/DSCN0117-1.jpg

When I knew I had to throw in the towel

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/Kusare/DSCN0133.jpg

bluediamond0829
03-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Mine always comes out messy not as neat looking. I think im doing something wrong. Is people applying somekind of product(setting lotion) to their hair and let it either air dry or sitting under the dryer to dry is that correct?

Enyo
03-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Mine always comes out messy not as neat looking. I think im doing something wrong. Is people applying somekind of product(setting lotion) to their hair and let it either air dry or sitting under the dryer to dry is that correct?

Yes, I use Lottabody and then set it. Nothing else. If you're natural let me ask this: are you brushing your hair smooth before you put the curler on?

catgurl
03-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't normally use gel, only when using cf. Detangling and sectioning are also extremely important.

I usually only detangle with a wide tooth comb in the shower. But when cf-ing I detangle in the shower, then use a seamless rat-tail comb to section and detangle all the way to tips. My hair has to be wet and have leave-in condish in it so I don't have any snags or loss of hair. I have a spray bottle handy so I can re-wet sections as needed.

catgurl
03-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Forgot to say Clever Gypsy and Kusare those curls are GORGEOUS!

bluediamond0829
03-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Yes, I use Lottabody and then set it. Nothing else. If you're natural let me ask this: are you brushing your hair smooth before you put the curler on?

No i'm not brushin it---i usually just take some hair to section it and then curl form it..

LushLox
04-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Do any of you guys use curlformers on dry hair, cause that's how I plan to use them initially.

cdawnlewis
04-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Do any of you guys use curlformers on dry hair, cause that's how I plan to use them initially.
I have on straight dry hair and it made nice loose waves..

guudhair
04-15-2010, 11:53 PM
just ordered the kit!!!!...hope I like them...thanks for the tips ladies

SOserious
04-18-2010, 04:38 PM
:grin: Im so glad that this type of thread existed!!!

I already have the kit. I gotta buy more curlformers but i need to adjust the type of conditioner..I think i have too much moisture and not have enough protein.
I am buying two more! extra wide&long plus long &narrow!:drunk:

foxee
04-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Anyone try the long and narrow (green and blue) ones? I really like this sista's results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfn52WOAgU

Enyo
04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Anyone try the long and narrow (green and blue) ones? I really like this sista's results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXfn52WOAgU

I use those in the front of my hair and they frame my face nicely. I used the long and wide for the back and sides on my hair.

SOserious
04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Remember ladies. The color of the curlformer make curls either clockwise or counter clockwise!

Enyo
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Yup. Make sure to alternate.

Serenity_Peace
04-24-2010, 09:20 AM
I love them! Great for ladies who are transitioning.

The challenge for me is how to maintain the curls after Day #1. Also, how do ya'll sleep in these things?