PDA

View Full Version : Getting Smoke Out of Clothes

options
11-24-2004, 09:26 AM
I won this fabulous patchwork leather, vintage trenchcoat off EBay. It is truly a work of art and beautiful. Unfortunately, it smells like cigarette smoke! Not extremely strongly so, but it IS there. What can I do to get it out?

sbg4evr
11-25-2004, 05:31 AM
I would air the coat outside on a windy day. Since this is a used coat, I would dryclean it before I would wear it for sanitary reasons. After drycleaning the smell would be gone.

mermaid
11-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Yes, but take it to a cleaner that is certified for leather otherwise you may have a bunch of patchwork bits falling off your coat because of improper cleaning.
I have lots of leather but no patchwork, and have worn the coats and pants into clubs but they never retained any smoke smell, so the previous owner must have been one chain smoking-but fashionable somebody!! Well, I do use the leathe lotion from Wilson's to do light cleaning and conditioning of the leather, I think that might have also helped with keeping the smoke smells at bay; maybe you could try that before taking it to a cleaner, but it won't help with the lining.