PDA

View Full Version : What looks good on skinny girls????

Pages : [1] 2

grow_N_Him09
06-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm full of questions....all in an attempt to make myself look a little more presentable. I've always been a pretty "homely" looking and I can tell it's affecting my relationships...or lack thereof :lachen:!

So, I'm wondering, what kind of things look good on skinny women? I've always been made self-conscious of my height and being so "skinny." Being in the military helped thicken me up a little, but I still have skinny arms and knobby knees.

I should add I have pretty big feet too (size 12) but I've been looking on the board and know I'm not alone :grin:
But are there certain kind of shoes that can um, sort of "hide" my feet? Anything I should completely stay away from?

awhyley
06-19-2009, 07:42 PM
So, I'm wondering, what kind of things look good on skinny women? I've always been made self-conscious of my height and being so "skinny." Being in the military helped thicken me up a little, but I still have skinny arms and knobby knees.

Not to pry; but how tall are you? (It would effect the type of garments I would choose.)

grow_N_Him09
06-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Not to pry; but how tall are you? (It would effect the type of garments I would choose.)

just under six feet

FluffyRed
06-19-2009, 08:23 PM
You can wear those shiny leggings that noone else can. I'm jelly!!!

Basically, whatever you hear short and/or fluffy women complaining about, you can try on.

ETA - I think you can break up your height with different colors, light colored pants. Sleeveless tops if you're comfortable with your arms, bulky layers, (i'm just listing things I want to be able to wear).

Look at how supermodels dress.

kedda0720pooh
06-19-2009, 11:32 PM
I've always thought maxi dresses look really nice on tall slender women and they are in this season.

SoCalli
06-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Honestly, OP, you could wear anything and look good. Just coordinate your colors and stuff accordingly. :lachen:

CHECKMATE!
06-20-2009, 02:38 AM
I've always thought maxi dresses look really nice on tall slender women and they are in this season.

ITA :yep: You can not go wrong with a maxi dress!

awhyley
06-20-2009, 08:01 AM
You should be able to wear Capri shorts as well (just below the knee, not mid-calf, [for some reason I think that length looks odd), and look super.

http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/6/optimized/524146_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=327&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Don't hide the feet, hey, if you're tall and skinny; you're tall and skinny.

InsertCleverNameHere
06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Honestly, OP, you could wear anything and look good. Just coordinate your colors and stuff accordingly. :lachen:

You took the words out of my mouth! A slim woman around 5'11"? Ummm, hon you do know that's model territory? You know, the chicks who could make a paper bag look good?

What shape are you? Are you slim and curvy or more ruler-ish?

LoveisYou
06-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm a skinny woman and I would say a lot of things, lol

soulflower24
06-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Everything looks good on skinny women. That's why our models are skinny, they make thr worst clothes look good.

grow_N_Him09
06-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Everyone (not just here, but others I've talked to) makes it sound so easy. Like I can just grab and go. But I always feel so awkward. It reminds me of Olive Oil from Popeye. Big boats for feet and just...skinny and octopus-looking. (Who knows what he saw in her :lachen:) I just can't help feeling like I look so twiggy.
And everybody says I should be grateful "because I have a model body" but I'm telling you, it's really not all that great. And honestly, I thinking it's a bit of a turn-off for men. Of course I'm healthy looking but I'm not as much as a "looker" as the average height women who have it all in proportion :sad:
Anyway...I've really come to accept it but I just feel like an outsider sometimes (like a lonely giant :grin:). And it does get on my nerves when sleeves stop short at my wrists, pants look like high-waters, never any size 12 shoes :wallbash:....I guess when I go home empty-handed I should still be happy I have a model body :look:

grow_N_Him09
06-21-2009, 02:49 PM
You took the words out of my mouth! A slim woman around 5'11"? Ummm, hon you do know that's model territory? You know, the chicks who could make a paper bag look good?

What shape are you? Are you slim and curvy or more ruler-ish?

If only I could get away with wearing a paper bag everyday... :spinning:
Don't have any real curves, but more on top than on bottom

grow_N_Him09
06-21-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm a skinny woman and I would say a lot of things, lol

that's a real cute outfit in your pic. I wish I could wear something like that maybe in a few years when I get a little swagger :grin:
I'm looking for some options that are still in the crawl phase, so to speak. I'm just learning "how to dress" after going through high school and college of jeans, t-shirts, long, shapeless church dresses, no shorts, sandals, etc. So I don't want to go into shock from fashion overload :lachen:

But, I will say, I've discovered the pencil skirt and I think I'm likin' it :yep:

LoveisYou
06-21-2009, 05:19 PM
that's a real cute outfit in your pic. I wish I could wear something like that maybe in a few years when I get a little swagger :grin:
I'm looking for some options that are still in the crawl phase, so to speak. I'm just learning "how to dress" after going through high school and college of jeans, t-shirts, long, shapeless church dresses, no shorts, sandals, etc. So I don't want to go into shock from fashion overload :lachen:

But, I will say, I've discovered the pencil skirt and I think I'm likin' it :yep:

Thanks, girl swagger is a state of mind

and pencil skirts are a GREAT start, instant sophisticated chic

TRINITY05
06-21-2009, 05:33 PM
We all are uniquely shaped and we need to learn to embrace what we have and make the most of it. We all are our worst critic. I'm sure you are a beautiful girl so embrace it!!!!!!!!!!!!

GeorginaSparks
06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
skinny jeans :P thats all i wear now. and yeah those maxi dresses. im not tall though but i wear high heeled sandals with the dress instead of flat sandals so i dont look like im wearing my momma's dress

LoveisYou
06-21-2009, 05:59 PM
A place to start maybe?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/caribbean_rose/zoe-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/caribbean_rose/jess.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/caribbean_rose/jo3.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/caribbean_rose/jo.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/caribbean_rose/marian.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/caribbean_rose/017.jpg

InsertCleverNameHere
06-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Everyone (not just here, but others I've talked to) makes it sound so easy. Like I can just grab and go. But I always feel so awkward. It reminds me of Olive Oil from Popeye. Big boats for feet and just...skinny and octopus-looking. (Who knows what he saw in her :lachen:) I just can't help feeling like I look so twiggy.
And everybody says I should be grateful "because I have a model body" but I'm telling you, it's really not all that great. And honestly, I thinking it's a bit of a turn-off for men. Of course I'm healthy looking but I'm not as much as a "looker" as the average height women who have it all in proportion :sad:
Anyway...I've really come to accept it but I just feel like an outsider sometimes (like a lonely giant :grin:). And it does get on my nerves when sleeves stop short at my wrists, pants look like high-waters, never any size 12 shoes :wallbash:....I guess when I go home empty-handed I should still be happy I have a model body :look:

Okay well dresses, skirts, and short/no sleeves should be easy. It's good it's summer, because you really don't have to worry as much about finding clothes that fit for length. Start with summer stuff and in the meantime, start finding pants and jeans that have longs and xtra longs. Sometimes there are tops for talls too depending on the store. You can also get size 12 shoes online better than in the store. Just pick somewhere like zappos that has an easy exchange/return policy.

Other than that just stand tall and be happy because it sounds like you have an enviable frame. My mother is tall and slim and it's never kept her alone.

Kutie85
06-22-2009, 04:07 PM
try taking this quiz
just to give you an idea
http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/static.do?page=landingpage21
I also recommend looking at fashion blogs and magazines for celebs with similar body types to yours and find a couple with a look that you like and use it for inspiration to start developing your style.
Are you in to being more trendy edgy like rihanna, more chic style like kourtney kadashian, or bohemian like vanessa hudgens. ect.