PDA

View Full Version : Badly dressed relatives

Mena
09-07-2008, 11:38 PM
My mother wears some of the most horrendous clothes at times. I really do not get it because she was fly when she was younger. I wish she would stop looking frumpy. How do you guys get your relatives to dress better?

Makenzie
09-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I wish I had an answer for you. I'm in the same boat with you. I've taken my mom shopping, bought her clothes. She has nicee dressy clothes but her casual stuff me me want to pull my hair out.

Glib Gurl
09-08-2008, 05:00 PM
LOLOLOL @ this thread. I feel the same way, too . . . according to my grandmother, my mom has never cared a LICK about fashion. She does better when my dad and I buy clothes for her. But yeah, usually Moms is kinda ruff :lachen: In fact, I have to say that I get downright mad thinking about some of the get ups she let me leave the house in when I was younger . . . thank goodness I started reading Seventeen magazine when I hit puberty and got a clue!

Mrs.Pretty08
09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
You have to buy it, and make sure that when you around you make a big deal of the clothes that you bought with her. My mother in the past did not dress very well, but I started buying for her, and we started shopping together, and things started to change. My mom just did not know how to dress her larger body because when she was younger she was skinny, and now she is larger. She had to learn that you still got to put it together. One thing, my mother's skincare and makeup is always on point, and she probably felt the same way about me when I went through adult acne after my son was born. She didn't really say anything, but I could tell that she was concerned with my skin.

lux10023
09-09-2008, 02:24 PM
ppl always compliment on how my mom looks well-dressed hair always done etc etc
and she is but ever so often my mom likes to get afro-centric and wear a traditional bright colored afro-centric outfit--now im a fan of all clothing that looks great and i appreciate the afro-centric look but my mom doesnt know how to do it well-
she showed up at a sunday dinner the other day in a outfit that looked like she was a bag of skittles--yellow-greens--purples--orange
everyone is like heyyyyyyy (weird face) aunty--im like hey mom (trying not to laugh)--then after dinner u know how blk folk do--we start cracking jokes--and ofcourse the flood gates open-

lolol bless her heart---lololol

MissNina
09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
MY MOM!!! Sometimes...just sometimes...she just IDK....She had the nerve to try to walk out the house one time with a bright yellow shirt on and some dark brown and green plaid pants!! I was like MAMA! :eek: I kindly ridiculed her out of love and refused to let her go out the house until she changed. Sometimes she'll also have a cute outfit from head to ankle and then mess it up with some busted shoes! She says they are "comfortable" :lachen:

And she kills me when she puts on lipstick without gloss, liner or anything...like why mama why :nono:

gabulldawg
10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
You have to buy it, and make sure that when you around you make a big deal of the clothes that you bought with her. My mother in the past did not dress very well, but I started buying for her, and we started shopping together, and things started to change. My mom just did not know how to dress her larger body because when she was younger she was skinny, and now she is larger. She had to learn that you still got to put it together. One thing, my mother's skincare and makeup is always on point, and she probably felt the same way about me when I went through adult acne after my son was born. She didn't really say anything, but I could tell that she was concerned with my skin.

I agree with this post! :yep: Once I started becomming more fashion conscious, she would complement my outfits/shoes/etc. and ask to borrow stuff :rolleyes:. Eventually I would start buying her little pieces for Christmas, birthday, etc. For one Christmas I bought her a really nice pair of shoes. Now she's good at picking out nice items not only for herself, but for me, too! :grin:

LivingDoll
10-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I would like to know as well. My mother has been wearing this horrendous matted looking synthetic wig. We can't find another one like it. She doesn't like any other styles. I'm desperate.