PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop buying "STUFF!"

Pages : [1] 2

SimpleKomplexity
01-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm impulsize! Very impulsive!! I went into a store today...and spent $80....on what? I really dunno. It's lot of stuff I might add, but just stuff! How do you guys refrain form buying things that you like, but do not LOVE. I spend money because it makes me happy, but I want to improve my wardrobe this year and just buying "stuff" is not helping!! Plus I'ma be BROKE lol UGH!! :wallbash::wallbash: Ihave a closet full of the same thing. This is what I mean. I have about 10 Ralph Lauren Polos I have about 15 collared dress shirts a lot of black pink and brown About 5 Suit Jackets in black or gray and a lot of trendy stuff that I like, but I feel it makes me no different than the norm. Other than jsut never going to the mall again or wearing a bag over my head LOL (I might need it for my hair though) How can I stop just buying...."stuff"

MizzBrown
01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
-Leave your credit card/debit cards at home.
-Set up your bank to take automatic deducts out of your account and stick it somewhere else so u can't see it.
-Only use cash.
-When you get paid, pay ALL the bills quickly and whatever is left over you have to budget. That's what I do. Got paid today and deducted everything out, even gas, and whatever is left is what i have to work with until next payday. I only visit the ATM once a month.
-The more I see my Savings Account growing, the less I am spending lately. Maybe you need to look at yours for a reality check.
-Use the rule of thumb, for every new item, piece of clothing you buy, you MUST take 1-2 out.
-You buy a shirt, take a shirt or two out that closet, buy some shoes, get rid of some shoes..Makes you feel a little better about accumulating stuff.

trini_rican
01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I too have this problem. I avoid the malls like the plague. Don't go in because you know you will spend. That's my motto.:grin:

missty1029
01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Got to ebay or platos closet and see how much you can sell the stuff you bought back for. Once you see it has little worth other then what it means to you that will help. I used to buy coach bags galore! Try selling them and get what you paid bah! its not happening. I felt defeated. I was selling them because I needed money when I wasnt working. I realized it was a waste to spend money and then if I need it I cant even sell it close to what I paid for it!!! Not to bring you down because its nice to have nice things. I still have some bags I refuse to give up! But when you realize in the long run its just "stuff" it makes it easier not to buy it.

Glitter
01-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I started watching a few style shows religiously. They always tell you that you only need a few key pieces of clothing to make a wardrobe. My two biggest suggestions:

(1) What Not to Wear. Stacey and Clinton always urge quality over quantity. Watch it enough times and you'll see them redo a person who is almost exactly like you (I believe mine was this chick Camilla). When you hear their comments, you'll be embarrassed and definitely rethink your closet. Also, watch it enough times and you'll see what crap really looks like and you definitely won't want yours to look like that.:nono:

(2) Tim Gunn's style show. He really believes in a minimalist wardrobe. Watch him raid a closet and tell me you're not inspired to do the same and go out and track down your core 10 items.

Also, one book that has really helped me is How to Be a Budget Fashionista. She helped me realize that it's okay if I have a little more than the classic 10 pieces - I'm younger and it's fine to have some trendy items. But she also goes over when it is appropriate to buy these pieces, how much you should spend, and how you should transition to a streamlined closet.

SimpleKomplexity
01-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Also, one book that has really helped me is How to Be a Budget Fashionista. She helped me realize that it's okay if I have a little more than the classic 10 pieces - I'm younger and it's fine to have some trendy items. But she also goes over when it is appropriate to buy these pieces, how much you should spend, and how you should transition to a streamlined closet.

Thanx ladies!! I really agree with the giving something away if you buy something new...but mane I've been giving so many clothes away that its really sad lool! Hmm I've heard of this book...maybe I need to take a look lol. I become trapped by SALES lol *heaven* But I want to turn my closet from :( to va va voom :gorgeous:

glamazon386
01-05-2008, 08:08 AM
I too have this problem. I avoid the malls like the plague. Don't go in because you know you will spend. That's my motto.:grin:

Exactly. That helped me a lot. :yep: I used to go to the mall on my lunch break all the time because it was in walking distance. Now that I don't work downtown anymmore I'm not tempted to go the mall because it's out of my way. Now while I was doing my Xmas shopping that's a whole other story. :look:

seeminglysweet
01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
-Leave your credit card/debit cards at home.
-Set up your bank to take automatic deducts out of your account and stick it somewhere else so u can't see it.
-Only use cash.
-When you get paid, pay ALL the bills quickly and whatever is left over you have to budget. That's what I do. Got paid today and deducted everything out, even gas, and whatever is left is what i have to work with until next payday. I only visit the ATM once a month.
-The more I see my Savings Account growing, the less I am spending lately. Maybe you need to look at yours for a reality check.
-Use the rule of thumb, for every new item, piece of clothing you buy, you MUST take 1-2 out.
-You buy a shirt, take a shirt or two out that closet, buy some shoes, get rid of some shoes..Makes you feel a little better about accumulating stuff.

I agree with everything, especially the bolded.

You'll spend less on the crap of you only have $20 in your pocket.

I put myself on a "no shopping until spring" personal challenge. The first day of spring is March 21. I've done this in the past and it's so easy if you just occupy your time with non-shopping activities.

Leslie_C
01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with everything, especially the bolded.

You'll spend less on the crap of you only have $20 in your pocket.

I put myself on a "no shopping until spring" personal challenge. The first day of spring is March 21. I've done this in the past and it's so easy if you just occupy your time with non-shopping activities.

Exactly! Ive been telling myself I was going to do this for a while and Im really going ti start. My worst thing is using my debit card too much! Debit cards are the devil lol.

Im gonna join your no shopping till spring challenge. Im not buying anything else until spring. #1 We are on a tight budget bc our wedding is in March. #2 Im losing weight and I plan to redo my wardrobe in the spring...Ive weeded out most of my old stuff and only have a total of 3 loads of laundry worth now! That is a record for me..I used to have so many clothes that I didnt have anywhere to put them and I forgot what I had.

SimpleKomplexity
01-05-2008, 11:45 AM

Ooh I'm joining this challenge too!!

Leslie_C
01-05-2008, 12:01 PM
OP, I forgot to mention I used to be just like u and Im about to nip it in the bud. Why was I always buying stuff but never had anything to show for it? When I finished LPN school I was making good money my first year..I cant even tell u where half of it went! I looked at my tax return like WTF? How could I more than doubled my previous salary and have nothing to show for it. That was an eye opening moment.
Now that I just finished RN school Im going to start having better money/spending habits. I do intend to rebuild my wardrobe this spring from scratch. But that is after Im all set with a nice little savings account for emergencies, Im invested in 401k, I have an IRA and mutual fund. At least that way I will feel like Im not throwing all my money away and Im saving for the future. Whatever is left over will be budgeted out to split between spending money, rainy day/vacation money etc.
I dont know if u watched sex in the city, but remember when Carrie and her boyfriend broke up and she realized she was broke when she wanted to buy an apartment...and she realized she some crazy amount like 40k in shoes or something...thats gonna be me if I dont straighten up.

keluric
01-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi, I think my advice might be a bit harder to take than the others. Doing things like only carrying cash and avoiding the mall are putting a band-aid on your problem. If you feel like the clothes you buy make you feel better or that you need clothes and stuff to make you feel va-va-voom, your problem is deeper than just being impulsive.

You definitely don't need anything more than basic pieces to look nice and pulled together. There's nothing wrong with having nice things and splurging from time to time but if you can't help yourself, you should question exactly why you buy these things. Do clothes give you confidence? Do expensive clothes make you feel as if you are worth more than if your clothes were not designer?

I hope you realize you can be a beautiful person without the "stuff." If you know that, you'll have a glow that is worth more than designer this and retail that because it's priceless and others will see it too. Don't get me wrong, I wear just as much designer "stuff" as the next person, probably more. What people don't know is that I hardly EVER pay retail or even close. I don't buy just because it's on sale and I SAVE any money I get. I also thrift shop which a lot of people turn their nose up at or look down on. Well, it's all about being discerning and having an eye for clothes. I dress better than most and spend less too. Sales are great but if you buy everything, you're not saving anything in the long-run. Think thrift shops, flea markets and liquidation sales.

I also can guarantee you that you would feel more gratified in the long-run if you have money to buy a house, pay off a student loan, etc. Think about that.

JFemme
01-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi, I think my advice might be a bit harder to take than the others. Doing things like only carrying cash and avoiding the mall are putting a band-aid on your problem. If you feel like the clothes you buy make you feel better or that you need clothes and stuff to make you feel va-va-voom, your problem is deeper than just being impulsive.

You definitely don't need anything more than basic pieces to look nice and pulled together. There's nothing wrong with having nice things and splurging from time to time but if you can't help yourself, you should question exactly why you buy these things. Do clothes give you confidence? Do expensive clothes make you feel as if you are worth more than if your clothes were not designer?

I hope you realize you can be a beautiful person without the "stuff." If you know that, you'll have a glow that is worth more than designer this and retail that because it's priceless and others will see it too. Don't get me wrong, I wear just as much designer "stuff" as the next person, probably more. What people don't know is that I hardly EVER pay retail or even close. I don't buy just because it's on sale and I SAVE any money I get. I also thrift shop which a lot of people turn their nose up at or look down on. Well, it's all about being discerning and having an eye for clothes. I dress better than most and spend less too. Sales are great but if you buy everything, you're not saving anything in the long-run. Think thrift shops, flea markets and liquidation sales.

I also can guarantee you that you would feel more gratified in the long-run if you have money to buy a house, pay off a student loan, etc. Think about that.

Co-signing with, Keluric....

great advice up in this thread...

theres a no-spend till spring challenge...:ohwell:

I'm so late...:drunk:

SimpleKomplexity
01-06-2008, 12:45 PM

Awww Thank you so much Keluric =)

poochie167
01-06-2008, 02:05 PM
i have that spending disease too! i work near all the shops and stores so its really hard. i kept myself from entering malls and looking at window displays. it's helping. I haven't shopped for myself since nov.

I've also been trying to look at it realistically. about 75% of the shoes in my closet have never been worn. so what's the point of buying more. i repeat this over and over again and it kept me outta shoe stores!

but i did have a relapse for victoria's secret semi annual. spent $300 in one transaction:blush::blush::blush: yikes!

princess me
01-06-2008, 02:53 PM
the best thing that worked for me UNTIL it became a habit to not spend was to just leave your house with enough money for whatever it is you are leaving you house for. Dont bring more than $20 extra.

And leave your cards at home. It's crucial if your an impulsive buyer. You will be happier in the end. I know I am. When I was workign over the summer, i made so much money (and no I'm not bragging)... I'm actually embarrassed because I have nothing to show for it except designer jeans and accessories. I wasted all my money, don't be like me please :nono:. its such a bad habit.

But yeah, don't bring extra money to the mall/stores etc.

Leslie_C
01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
i have that spending disease too! i work near all the shops and stores so its really hard. i kept myself from entering malls and looking at window displays. it's helping. I haven't shopped for myself since nov.

I've also been trying to look at it realistically. about 75% of the shoes in my closet have never been worn. so what's the point of buying more. i repeat this over and over again and it kept me outta shoe stores!

but i did have a relapse for victoria's secret semi annual. spent $300 in one transaction:blush::blush::blush: yikes!

:lachen: Now u know u were wrong for that! lol...
Thats A LOT of bras and panties! Dont forget u are defeating the purpose of a sale when u buy way more than u normally would lol..u arent really saving money, just spending more. At least u should be feeling pretty/sexy in all your new underwear lol.

Glib Gurl
01-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Instead of spending money on the book, you may just want to check out the website: http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com/

In fact, she has a recent post about reducing debt here--http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com/archive/five-quick-tips-personal-debt-relief/ (nothing earth-shattering, but still worth a look).

I have the same problem as you. Part of my personal mission is to cut the crap and stop buying disposable stuff. Just sorting through my things after the holidays I realize that I have so many things that I don't even use . . . so right now I'm in a phase of "shopping in my own closet" (and my own bookshelf, cd case, makeup drawer, etc., etc.).

Maybe you should join the "No Shopping Til Spring" challenge someone started recently.

Good luck to you, hon. We can do this! :yep:

poochie167
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
:lachen: Now u know u were wrong for that! lol...
Thats A LOT of bras and panties! Dont forget u are defeating the purpose of a sale when u buy way more than u normally would lol..u arent really saving money, just spending more. At least u should be feeling pretty/sexy in all your new underwear lol.

:lachen::lachen:oh yes gurl. my smile is as bright as a light! lol....

now u know why i had to join the 'no shopping til spring challenge'

AmyInAtl
01-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I sure feel you all, on the spending. It seems like everytime, I step out my door it costs me:sad:. A minimum of $20. I mean, I have to stop at the convienience store, I'm lured into getting fast-food....I'm always out of $20!!!!!!!:ohwell: