PDA

View Full Version : WHAT'S THE SECRET????

msroddy
09-20-2007, 11:01 AM
to making good clothing choices??????

Tim Gunn has me paranoid and self conscious, going through my closet like crazy, feeling like I need a serious wardrobe update, but I'm not a good shopper! I get bored or tired at the mall, but I'm tired of paying shipping fees. Plus... I want something original and unique, but the boutiques seems so pricey and I'm also not good at deciding if something is worth the asking price. Some people find great things at Target and H&M, others are shopping at Saks and Neimans, but I feel like I'm striking out everywhere!

So.... what's the secret to shopping well, making good choices, and not ending up in the poor house. If you have one, please share!

AmilLion
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM

Tim Gunn has me paranoid and self conscious, going through my closet like crazy, feeling like I need a serious wardrobe update, but I'm not a good shopper! I get bored or tired at the mall, but I'm tired of paying shipping fees. Plus... I want something original and unique, but the boutiques seems so pricey and I'm also not good at deciding if something is worth the asking price. Some people find great things at Target and H&M, others are shopping at Saks and Neimans, but I feel like I'm striking out everywhere!

So.... what's the secret to shopping well, making good choices, and not ending up in the poor house. If you have one, please share!

Stick to what looks good on you and FIT is very important.

SqrpioQutie
09-20-2007, 02:29 PM
for me, it's defining my style and then keeping my eyes peeled for stuff that matches who i feel i am... knowing what looks good on you and capitalizing on it... not falling over every trend... knowing how to pair expensive stunner pieces with inexpensive other pieces... stuff like that...

need2accumulate
09-23-2007, 03:12 AM
i tear out magazine pages to find out what i like and look for similar items.

if something doesn't fit me to a T and i dont think it can be tailored, i pass

my clothes are more classic, think jennifer aniston. i sometimes go bold at the club but it is still more classy

i would work on basics first, which you can find if you search this area of the forums, then build from there.

remember fit, fit, fit

fuchsiastar
09-25-2007, 04:21 PM

my clothes are more classic, think jennifer aniston. i sometimes go bold at the club but it is still more classy

i would work on basics first, which you can find if you search this area of the forums, then build from there.

remember fit, fit, fit

This is ME! All day, every day! Great advice!

msroddy
09-26-2007, 06:21 PM

remember fit, fit, fit

this is good advice, so can I build on the advice with a new question? I love the idea and I actually do tear out magazine pages of things that I like. My question... is there a secret to finding less expensive version of the things you like, ie.. specific places to shop, or do you just troll different stores and boutiques? I saw a fabulous dress in last months Essence...$950. Obviously I can't afford that, but I haven't seen anything even close to being as fabulous as that dress at any of the stores.

UmSumayyah
09-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Try going to a fabric store (or an online website like simplicity, butterick, mccalls, vogue etc.) and flipping through the pattern books. Find something similar and have a tailor make it for you. Or if your tailor is really good you can just show them the pic and they can replicate it for you.

audacious1
09-30-2007, 08:28 AM
this is good advice, so can I build on the advice with a new question? I love the idea and I actually do tear out magazine pages of things that I like. My question... is there a secret to finding less expensive version of the things you like, ie.. specific places to shop, or do you just troll different stores and boutiques? I saw a fabulous dress in last months Essence...$950. Obviously I can't afford that, but I haven't seen anything even close to being as fabulous as that dress at any of the stores.

Ohhhh you have the same problem I do. EVERYTHING that I love is out of my range of feasibility. For a while, I was a plane jane, and I'm just getting out of that. It was my reaction to not liking what I could afford. Now I try to change it up, and I'm learning what fits and looks good on me at the price point I can afford.

Belle Du Jour
09-30-2007, 09:45 AM
It's all about the fabric, cut, draping and fit.

need2accumulate
09-30-2007, 11:33 AM

when you actually start to look, you will find similar or almost exact matches in cheaper stores. you just learn to look high and low. theory made a wonderful button down blouse that retailed for over $100 and target had a similar one that fit well that was only $17 and it was high quality. i bought 3

those cute high waist jeans that people are wearing were only $20 at old navy and fit amazing

i admit some things you won't find and that just means it wasn't meant for you but you can usually come close to any look you see with a high price tag

in tj maxx you can sometimes find the exact items that you want for cheap, or ebay if you buy from reputable seller.

i will go to forever 21 a lot and although they have cheap clothes, they also have some suprisingly great quality clothes. clothes that i still have that I bought when i lived in hawaii over 6 years ago.

look on clearance racks, go in stores that you wouldn't normally go it. there are some chelsea jeans at aeropostale that fit me to a T as well as some wide leg tie waist jeans. they were $10 and i would NEVER go in that store in my former life.

if you cannot by vuitton or something, aim for real leather bags and accessories and shoes. leather almost always looks better than synthetic material.

look on nordstroms online and saks last call sales.

pm me if you want more advice because like jlove and sleekandbouncy, i love clothes and could go on and on

audacious1
09-30-2007, 01:43 PM
This was great advice. I do all of what you mentioned, but I still could manage to step my game up a bit.

TJ Maxx has some NICE leather bags.. especially the stores who have "real" designer names

when you actually start to look, you will find similar or almost exact matches in cheaper stores. you just learn to look high and low. theory made a wonderful button down blouse that retailed for over $100 and target had a similar one that fit well that was only $17 and it was high quality. i bought 3

those cute high waist jeans that people are wearing were only $20 at old navy and fit amazing

i admit some things you won't find and that just means it wasn't meant for you but you can usually come close to any look you see with a high price tag

in tj maxx you can sometimes find the exact items that you want for cheap, or ebay if you buy from reputable seller.

i will go to forever 21 a lot and although they have cheap clothes, they also have some suprisingly great quality clothes. clothes that i still have that I bought when i lived in hawaii over 6 years ago.

look on clearance racks, go in stores that you wouldn't normally go it. there are some chelsea jeans at aeropostale that fit me to a T as well as some wide leg tie waist jeans. they were $10 and i would NEVER go in that store in my former life.

if you cannot by vuitton or something, aim for real leather bags and accessories and shoes. leather almost always looks better than synthetic material.

pm me if you want more advice because like jlove and sleekandbouncy, i love clothes and could go on and on

bLackButtaFly
10-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I could definitely see how watching tuim gunn could make you a little fashion self conscious, but remember to take it w/ a grain of salt.

Like the other ladies said there's no need to buy the expensive brand name item if there's similar knock off available.

Look for classic items than you'll wear for a while and maybe spend alittle more(within your budget) i.e. jeans, coats(if you're in a colder climate), classic jewelry(studs etc), shoes(classic black pumps)

Buy trendy items as they work for you, and spend a little less(within your budget. You don't want to make your splurge purchase something that you'll only be able to wear for one season, but something worth your money.

shop around. I go shopping about once a week, not meaning I'm constantly buying something new:look:, but i am looking around for things that strike my fancy or that are on my list. Right now I'm looking for the perfect black dress in a timeless silhouette, and a well fitting pair of high waisted jeans. I try not to make impulse buys, but carefully choose styles and colors that suit me, and also make me feel in the moment and most importantly beautiful.

Favorite inexpensive shops
old navy
gap
express
zara
tj maxx
laredoute.com
macys
h&m

msroddy
10-01-2007, 03:10 PM

yasjencon2-- thanks to you the other ladies for the advice. I think you might have hit on the head for me. I was getting frustrated with what I was finding, but than I realized... maybe I'm not looking the right way. Was strolling through Macy's checking out the new Theory and Nanette Lepore, feeling all blue cause the even a t-shirt is $95, but then I strolled over to Gap and found a cute t with a similar cut for $7 on sale!!!! And then I got excited.....So... I'm taking your advice. Scoping the designer gear I love, then looking for similar less expensive version in other stores. It means having to step up my game an actually shop, which frustrates me at time, but.....

look for a pm from me. I need that advice.

PatTodd
10-01-2007, 04:18 PM
I think the secrets are fit, mixing the trends with the classics, and knowing how to spot quality at any price.

Two books which I thought had great style tips were The Pocket Stylist by Kendall Farr

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Stylist-Behind-Scenes-Expertise/dp/1592400418/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2396486-3978525?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191269787&sr=8-1

and Before You Put That On by Lloyd Boston:

http://www.amazon.com/Before-You-Put-That-Daily/dp/0743281691/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2396486-3978525?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191269834&sr=1-1

MJ
10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Ohhhh you have the same problem I do. EVERYTHING that I love is out of my range of feasibility. For a while, I was a plane jane, and I'm just getting out of that. It was my reaction to not liking what I could afford. Now I try to change it up, and I'm learning what fits and looks good on me at the price point I can afford.

I had the same mentality and I now am adapting that very same attitude of finding clothes in my price range that makes me look and feel good. It took me a while to get there, but I'm really happy with the results.

Syrah
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM

I'm with the other ladies. DO YOU. Fashion comes and goes. I think the trick is to having a few classic STAPLES that you can accessorize to fit multiple occasions. Some of what Tim Gunn says, I agree with and sometimes I'm like "why'd he tell them that??".